Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Going Cross Coutry, Leathers or Textile

Lifer

Re: Going Cross Coutry, Leathers or Textile

Nice, but out of my price range

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In the textile stuff, it's been known for years that the Aerostich two-piece Darien suit is drier than the one-piece Roadcrafter. I don't own either, but friends do and the say the one-piece seems to have design issue and leaks near the crotch. (no bad jokes please, I'm just passing along info.)

If I had my choice, I'd be comparing the Klim and Macna apparel. Both are modular and appear to be truly superior quality.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Funny, there's a nearly identical thread on Advrider.

I wear the AirGlide pants and jacket three seasons here. Pretty nice stuff.
    And the kid gets nothing?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lifer

The kid's fully geared up, heck with that helmet he's channeling some Jack from Easy Rider! Plus, he's a football player (like my 13 y/o) if he crashes he'll rub some dirt on it and get right back on.

I've decided to go Textile, but the extra rainsuit is coming with, the "rain-proof" liners aren't going to cut it and I can always use the rain suit add a truly windproof layer on cold mornings.

Good plan. The truly waterproof outerwear rain suits can be like wrapping yourself in a Ziplock sandwich bag, but sometimes that's just what you need.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    And the kid gets nothing?
    For the few tenths of a mile down to the field, I decided to risk it with the football gear.

He has a TourMaster Jett II jacket - that's the only road jacket for kids I know of. Now replaced by the Jett 3.

But this is mine he has on here.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    //I've decided to go Textile, but the extra rainsuit is coming with, the "rain-proof" liners aren't going to cut it and I can always use the rain suit add a truly windproof layer on cold mornings.
    That's what I do as the rain liner for the AirGlide is insulated.

I have the Tourmaster Defender Two Piece. Works well. Most order the size about their riding gear. They're widely distributed at bike shops so you can try them on. $70-90.

I tried a bunch of rain gloves, and now I use the Aerostich Triple Digit Rain Covers

Last edited by Garandman; 06-11-12 at 09:11 AM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    In the textile stuff, it's been known for years that the Aerostich two-piece Darien suit is drier than the one-piece Roadcrafter. I don't own either, but friends do and the say the one-piece seems to have design issue and leaks near the crotch. (no bad jokes please, I'm just passing along info.)
    The one-piece absolutely does leak in the crotch; badly. Still love mine though.

For the few tenths of a mile down to the field, I decided to risk it with the football gear.
    As condescending as you come off when it comes to gear I was just figuring you'd deck your own kid out, even if it is just down the street.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lifer

As hard as this is, let's try not to get nasty in a simple thread...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Textile suit pioneer Aerostich now sells a waterproof, breathable two piece leather suit. Of course, it's $1,600, making a $900 RoadCrafter suit look budget-priced.

I was going to bring up the Aerostich Transit suit as well. Given an unlimited budget, I'd get one. From what I've heard from people who've worn them, they really are completely waterproof, and cooler on a hot day than a lot of textiles.

However, I don't have an unlimited budget.

I definitely prefer leather for its abrasion resistance. Yes, modern textile apparel is probably just as safe, but in many cases it will be damaged significantly enough in a crash that it needs to be replaced, whereas leather gear usually just needs a little cleanup and an application of leather dressing. For long-term durability, leather wins.

Furthermore, leather can be just as versatile, depending on the design of the garment. I actually like the old-school '50s-style "biker jacket," updated with some modern features, for the simple reason that it's the most versatile jacket design I've ever used. For general use I wear a Fox Creek Leather version that features excellent venting, superb construction, and extremely thick leather. With the vents closed, the liner installed, and the zipper up all the way, the jacket is nice and warm; yet with the liner out, the vents open, and the double-breasted upper part of the closure folded open and snapped down, the jacket lets in tons of air and is perfectly comfortable even in hot weather.

I also wear a pair of FirstGear leather overpants. They have vents, but not very effective ones; but my legs don't get all that hot anyway. The great thing about these pants is that they're pretty damn waterproof. I rode 235 miles in the rain last weekend and stayed dry underneath.

But for touring or shitty-weather riding, I wear a British Motorcycle Gear Adventure textile jacket. Primary reason for this? It comes with a rain shell that fits over it perfectly (and is much less unwieldy than, for example, my Frogg Toggs rain shell over my Fox Creek jacket), keeps me totally dry underneath, and stows in the jacket's back pocket so I always have it with me if I need it. The only thing more convenient would be a jacket that's completely waterproof without needing to put a shell over it, but then you're pretty much back looking at stuff like the Aerostich Transit suit or the higher-end Klim gear, and forking over a lot of money for it.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

I would Rock Icon, head to Toe with SKULLS lots of SKULLS.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    I would Rock Icon, head to Toe with SKULLS lots of SKULLS.
    Skulls are waterproof AND abrasion-resistant. Don't forget the gun pocket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12