Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cruisers vs. Sport

Cruisers vs. Sport

Now I know there are various types of riders on this site as well as those of you who have multiple bikes. My question to you is, when did you make the switchover and which do you prefer the best. I'll elaborate a little bit here. I'm looking to pick up what I consider my first actual serious bike (05' CBR600RR). I'm in line to recieve my step fathers 06' Softail FXST sometime next year when they move across the country. I'm not quite ready to make the jump to a Harley full time yet, at least I don't think I am. So here I am, asking at what age did you decide that being hunched over just wasn't fun any more? I obviously don't have an issue with owning both bikes and the thought of one day tracking the CBR has also crossed my mind, which I'm guessing a lot of you dual riders do.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Cruisers vs. Sport

There are a ton of older cats on sportbikers here. I don't think most serious motorcycle riders wake up and say an aggressive position isn't fun anymore (it really isn't that fun on a commutesicle) but if you want to shred corners, that's the (standard) position you ride in.
    That said, there are a bunch of peeps on here that have gotten more upright sportbikes with age and/or for practicality...on the street. It's your body and $, you'll decide which is best for you.

It's my belief that those guys that say: I used to have a crotch rocket, but I didn't like being hunched over anymore, so I got this cruiser. Those dudes (about 97% of them) never took the time to really learn how to ride a sportbike. And the same number never went and sought out the opportunity to ride a sportbike as it was designed, on the track.
    Anyone can go 140 down the highway. It doesn't count.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Knee problems began shortly after some bad Rugby injuries in school - so early for me But rather than going cruiser went for the more upright touring bikes and less full-tuck sportbikes.
    Think BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada, Suzuki Vstrom, Yamaha Tenere. Also I find the ergos of the more supersport-touring type pretty good. Heavily pondering a K1300S as my next.

Hit up Cycle-Ergo to get an idea of what kind of positions you'll be in for various machines: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There are a ton of older cats on sportbikers here. I don't think most serious motorcycle riders wake up and say an aggressive position isn't fun anymore (it really isn't that fun on a commutesicle) but if you want to shred corners, that's the (standard) position you ride in.
    That said, there are a bunch of peeps on here that have gotten more upright sportbikes with age and/or for practicality...on the street. It's your body and $, you'll decide which is best for you.

It's my belief that those guys that say: I used to have a crotch rocket, but I didn't like being hunched over anymore, so I got this cruiser. Those dudes (about 97% of them) never took the time to really learn how to ride a sportbike. And the same number never went and sought out the opportunity to ride a sportbike as it was designed, on the track.
    Anyone can go 140 down the highway. It doesn't count.
    Considering I'm only 25, I feel that I have plenty of time to be learning how to ride a sport bike. I like your input about how most converted cruisers probably never properly learned to ride a sport bike. I almost see somebody who rides a Harley as someone who just wanted a prolific name in cruisers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Knee problems began shortly after some bad Rugby injuries in school - so early for me But rather than going cruiser went for the more upright touring bikes and less full-tuck sportbikes.
    Think BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada, Suzuki Vstrom, Yamaha Tenere. Also I find the ergos of the more supersport-touring type pretty good. Heavily pondering a K1300S as my next.

Hit up Cycle-Ergo to get an idea of what kind of positions you'll be in for various machines: http://cycle-ergo.com/
    That was a cool little program they had going there. I had pondered getting a Ducati ST2 off of a guys father on this site. I just felt at this point in my life that I would have more fun with an all out sport bike rather than a sport-touring.

Knees suck. Back sucks. Shoulder sucks. Supersports for more then an hour leave me sore for a full day. So I picked up a Triumph Street R and never looked back. At the time (2009) it was the best all around bike in the market imo. No one is using a modern super sport to it's potential on the street. However for the track, well then I'll put up with the comfort issues

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

So would you take an FZ6 over a 600RR?

Quote Originally Posted by D.Brown View Post
    So would you take an FZ6 over a 600RR?
    I would, in a ny second. The motor is detuned from the r6, but in a way that makes it more appealing for the street. It's super comfy to sit on (all day) and is a bike you can ride to your parents house...when they move across the country.
    Still, it offers reasonably quick handling, a little zip to put a smile on your face, and all the aftermarket goodies you can shake a stick at, for either touring, or just getting more out of the motor.
    Something like the fz6, or versys, or an 800gs will be my next scoot, for sure.

I'm not knocking the cbr at all, but it's a race replica. You have to know that going in.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Well thank you very much for the input. Looks like I have some research to do before I go dropping some cash.

I never really wanted a super sport bike, even before I learned to ride I knew I wouldnt really be into it. 1. I thought it would be too much bike for me and 2. My dad has a goldwing and one of the reasons I got a bike was to spend more time with him, would not be able to keep up on long rides on a zx6 or anything. I ended up with my versys, I love the ergonomics of it a lot, comfortable for long rides besides the slope of the seat after about 100mi (thats being addressed soon), handles awesomely, and has plenty of power to get my lisence in trouble.

>>So here I am, asking at what age did you decide that being hunched over just wasn't fun any more? <<

Why I waited so long to cure the pain in my neck/between my shoulder blades is beyond me. I still can't fathom putting my feet our in front of me, but a "sitting in a dinner chair" position seems great. That Cycle-ergos.com website is fantastic for seeing how you fit on nearly any bike.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

The town named after the river, without the "k" at the end.

I moved in the opposite direction, I started on a standard GS850 with the intention of buying a Harley. I started down the path towards sport style with my brother's Ninja 500, prior to picking up my Ninja 650 I though about a Triumph Thunderbird.

My brother picked up a Thunderbird and I can't ride it longer than 15-2
    0 minuets before my lower back gets sore. My next bike will either be a sport or adventuer tourer.

Went from a sport (ier) bike to the FJR. I loved my last bike but due to some tendon issues and numbness, I couldn't ride it much more than 2 hours without long breaks. All my riding buddies upgraded to distance bikes, so I did as well. I think I went a little to far over the line with the FJR, great bike and all, but fairly large for my needs. Oh, age is late 30's.

You think too much for a 25 year old....get the cbr and go from there...you'll see.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

I always wanted a CBR600RR. So far, I've ended up on a SV650.

I believe the SV suits the realities of street riding better. It has stomp anywhere north of 3500 rpm, more relaxed ergos (even with lower, more aggressive bars) and I have never gotten below 50 mpg. I can ride for an entire tank of gas (over 200 miles) and keep going without feeling like I need to stop and stretch. It's still light and loves the twisties (suspension mods are on the way)

Some days I wish for something more cruiser-ish, but it's mostly for the idea of more comfortable 2-up riding.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

If you can swing it financially to have two completely different bikes, I say go for it. I have a Streetbob in addition to my R6. I love them both equally but for different reasons and I hope the day never comes where I have to chose between the two.

I started on a 1998 GSXR 600 SRAD, and it was painfully obvious to me after owning that for a year that me and the sportbike scene wouldn't mix, even at 23. I couldn't ride more than an hour without a aching back, legs and arms. So I decided to buy a brand new bike, an 2008 Z1000, and I'm glad I did because it was the most fun, comfortable and excellent bike I've ever ridden. Yeah it did have some shortcomings, but it did everything I wanted in a bike and more.

Shortly later, I sold my Z to get my now wife an engagement ring, and I ended up with an SV650S. Again, it was too aggressive, so I traded it for an already naked TL1000S which I've converted into a full standard, naked bike. It's very comfortable and lots of fun...just yesterday I rode from 8:30AM to 4:30PM and only needed to take 3 stretch breaks.

What I'm saying is, consider a naked or just standard sporty bike. I did and now I will never go back to a sport bike...ever. There are lots out there now that they've begun to catch on - the Z1000, ER-6N, the FZ6/FZ8/FZ1, Street/Speed Triple, CB1000R, SV650n, GSX1250FA, etc. They will all handle better than your abilities, have more than enough power for fun, and are most importantly comfortable for a full day of riding.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Wirelessly posted

I wouldn't buy the fz6 over the CBR. My gf has one. It's a good bike but the thing has no soul. I'd much rather ride my sv1000s with raised clip ons

In my experience, most sport-minded riders who decide they don't like the riding position of a true sportbike end up moving to a sport-tourer, sporty naked, or adventure bike. Cruisers are almost an entirely different sport, with a different mindset -- no less valid, but I haven't met many people who can comfortably cross between the two.

Interestingly, the one bike that I feel does sort of bridge both worlds is the Triumph Bonneville. It's got the classic looks to hang with the cruiser crowd and is a pleasant bike to just take it easy on and enjoy the scenery, but it's also got the handling and performance to be ridden aggressively and achieve impressive lean angles in the twisties.

Personally, if someone gave me a Harley, I'd sell it and buy something else. Probably a Street Triple.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

You can try out my fz6 sometime if you like. Im in ri every so often or you can come over to ct. Best part is the fz's are much cheaper than sportbikes. I got my 08 for $3100.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

at what age did you decide that being hunched over just wasn't fun any more?.
    hunched over is better for your ergonomics and more comfortable on long rides than a cruiser with high bars and forward pegs, all yer body weight is on your spine with no legs arm or wind on your chest to support body weight

best position for comfort is standard or sport touring , torso slightly canted forward, feet under yer ass,

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

I can't believe you 20- somethings saying your whole body ached after riding a sportbike for any length of time.I guess I'm lucky that I can ride 9 hours with only bathroom and gas breaks and only have a sore ass.

I've never had neck,knee, back,wrist issues and I'm almost 35.

I consider my GSXR a touring bike as I find it very hospitable.

I don't find the cruiser style comfortable at all, and really can't see myself ever getting one. The Road King type touring position is relaxing, and I could possibly see getting something like that for leisurely rides with the wife and all, just wandering around sightseeing.

For real riding, the sport standard works best for me -- my Ducati Monster fits me perfectly, and I like the twin better than fours in the real world. I don't have any problem with the sportbike riding position, and intend to add one to the garage for trackdays and fast riding. I had a CBR600 years ago as a second bike, and it was a fine machine. Probably will get a Ducati 998 this time, as I just really like those.

For you, it sound like you're new to riding. If so, I'd suggest starting with a good starter bike, like a Ninja 250 or 500, or GS500. Once you've got some good experience, you can go to the 600 (or something else -- by then you'll have more experience and will have a better idea what sort of riding you like best). Modern (and even not so modern) 600-class sportbikes are very sharp edged machines, and are not designed for inexperienced riders.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I switched from a Yamaha R6 to a triumph street triple R and will never look back... unless I'm buying a track bike.

It's not only the ergos of a sportbike, but the power delivery too. It's not really fun at all to have to rev the piss out of a bike you're riding on the streets, not to mention being forced to hunch over when you're riding your bike anywhere. Let's be honest, no matter what bike you get, you're surely going to use it for a variety of things other than ripping up corners and getting your knee down. There are PLENTY of sport bikes that will handle just as good on the street as their race ready brothers. Not to mention most of these sport bikes have motors/cams that are designed for a better street power delivery - basically in a nutshell they have more than 5lb ft of torque below 10,000 rpm. I listed a few below for you to research, and the comparative racebike brothers.

"Race" Bike - Street Brother
    Honda CBR600RR - Honda F4i
    Yamaha R6 - Yamaha FZ6
    Triumph Daytona 675 (R) - Triumph Street Triple (R)
    Ducati 848 - Ducati Streetfighter 848
    Kawasaki ZX6 - Kawasaki Ninja 650? or 636?
    Aprilia RSV - Aprilia Tuono
    MV Augusta F3- MV Augusta Brutale 675

There are tons more out there, but these are all pretty good options. I would go with a Street triple 675 if I were you.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

I have no problem riding the gsxr all day every day. Doesn't get me tired or sore. Blame it on being young I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You can try out my fz6 sometime if you like. Im in ri every so often or you can come over to ct. Best part is the fz's are much cheaper than sportbikes. I got my 08 for $3100.
    I will certainly take you up on your offer. It should make my decision making slightly easier after getting to compare bikes. It seems I still have a ton of research and window shopping left to do.

Thank you everybody for the many responses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast