Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CT Title Error?

CT Title Error?

I just received my title. after registering my bike. Has anyone in ever seen the designation "RC" under "Body Style" on a CT title? I'm guessing it's a misprint. The bike in question is a 2014 1199S. The previous title was clean and clear from Colorado. My R1 title states "MC". Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SAB; 06-18-16 at 08:43 PM.

Re: CT Title Error?

The only thing I could come up with on there website was that RC was used to classify a rental carrier. So Hertz, Enterprise or the like. I would say get in touch with the DMV and double check on Monday.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

2018 Beta 390 RR-S

All of my CT motorcycle titles say MC.

Jeff

About a year ago I bought csmutty's Ducati 998 and am just getting around to registering it. Unfortunately, his CT title has the wrong odometer reading: it's 225522 instead of (presumably) 22552.

I went to register it in MA today and, because I wrote down the current mileage of 23xxx on the back of the title, they refused to register it unless they append "ODOMETER DISCREPANCY" or some shit on the title. Which can never be removed!!!

Has anyone in CT ever tried to get an odometer reading fixed? According to this page he will need to get a new title issued, but I'm a little worried given that page appears to be for dealers and thus the advice won't work for us mere mortals.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    About a year ago I bought csmutty's Ducati 998 and am just getting around to registering it. Unfortunately, his CT title has the wrong odometer reading: it's 225522 instead of (presumably) 22552.

I went to register it in MA today and, because I wrote down the current mileage of 23xxx on the back of the title, they refused to register it unless they append "ODOMETER DISCREPANCY" or some shit on the title. Which can never be removed!!!

Has anyone in CT ever tried to get an odometer reading fixed? According to this page he will need to get a new title issued, but I'm a little worried given that page appears to be for dealers and thus the advice won't work for us mere mortals.

Edit: Nevermind. Reading comprehension was a little slow.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

He can apply for a new title but it will still show the higher reading. You can either have the odo discrepancy or the higher CT mileage stated using the new title to register in mass.
    My gt500 has an odometer discrepancy on the title because I titled it literally the day covid shut down all the registries and the clerks were just logging them in all willy nilly and my title and several others I brought with me got marked as odo discrepancy. It is borderline impossible to have it fixed. Personally I would rather have the accidental higher mileage listed on the title rather than the odo discr. It's easier to explain it as a registry fuck up. 255k on a duc is highly unlikely and I would think a reasonable person would believe the registry accidentally added an extra digit or two.

Banned

Someone at the RNV fat-fingered it and now it's your problem. Thanks (insert your least-favorite president here).

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    He can apply for a new title but it will still show the higher reading. You can either have the odo discrepancy or the higher CT mileage stated using the new title to register in mass.
    My gt500 has an odometer discrepancy on the title because I titled it literally the day covid shut down all the registries and the clerks were just logging them in all willy nilly and my title and several others I brought with me got marked as odo discrepancy. It is borderline impossible to have it fixed. Personally I would rather have the accidental higher mileage listed on the title rather than the odo discr. It's easier to explain it as a registry fuck up. 255k on a duc is highly unlikely and I would think a reasonable person would believe the registry accidentally added an extra digit or two.
    The issue is that I signed the back of the title with the new, actual milage (it's 24xxx) which now means I can't just make that 224xxx with the MA RMV because it'll be less than the stated (but inflated) milage of 225552 or whatever.

So even if I wanted to register it in MA with 225xxx miles, I'd still need Smutty to get a duplicate title so I can write the "correct" (overstated) mileage on the back. But even that approach bothers me.. surely there is a way to correct an odometer reading?

Last edited by number9; 03-31-22 at 08:22 PM.

Lifer

I'm not sure you can correct it to read the actual mileage. Ma will look at the CT title and set the mileage to what that says at best. If the old title was in Ma you would stand a much better chance but it's still an up hill battle. You need all sorts of evidence of the correct mileage which you will most likely never be able to get, especially if the old title has stated the higher mileage for years.

Like everything RMV related you might get lucky if you shop it around to different tellers. You just need to find one that either doesn't care or understands your situation. Your always going to need a new CT title to go that route though since you filled the old one in already. I don't think you will ever have much luck getting the stated mileage reduced honestly. A new ct title means you get the higher stated mileage on it or the old CT title gets odo discr on the Ma one. I'm actually a little surprised they didn't demand a replacement CT title since you filled it out in error anyway.
    Smutty may be able to get it changed on his end but it will take time and effort not to mention at least a notary. Then he can pass the corrected one on to you.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I'm not sure you can correct it to read the actual mileage. Ma will look at the CT title and set the mileage to what that says at best. If the old title was in Ma you would stand a much better chance but it's still an up hill battle. You need all sorts of evidence of the correct mileage which you will most likely never be able to get, especially if the old title has stated the higher mileage for years.
    Yeah, if it was an existing MA title then I would be able to fix it myself (probably). But it's not so I can't.

When I had the VFR in MA there was a VIN discrepancy, and I had to take it to the State Police in Weston to check it out. That was an easy fix.. but what do they do in CT for odometer discrepancies? There must be some way to resolve them.

I'll call the CT DMV tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

Like everything RMV related you might get lucky if you shop it around to different tellers. You just need to find one that either doesn't care or understands your situation. Your always going to need a new CT title to go that route though since you filled the old one in already. I don't think you will ever have much luck getting the stated mileage reduced honestly. A new ct title means you get the higher stated mileage on it or the old CT title gets odo discr on the Ma one. I'm actually a little surprised they didn't demand a replacement CT title since you filled it out in error anyway.
    Smutty may be able to get it changed on his end but it will take time and effort not to mention at least a notary. Then he can pass the corrected one on to you.
    At this point I'm definitely going to need a replacement CT title no matter what. They didn't demand a replacement CT title today at the RMV, but they said "your two options are take an ODOMETER DISCREPANCY now or go home and have CT fix the title". The fact that ODOMETER DISCREPANCY literally cannot be removed from a title is ludicrous to me.

If the CT DMV says fixing an odometer discrepancy is a nightmare, I'll just get smutty to get a new title and I'll take the higher reading and live with it.

I guess I could try going back to the MA RMV and shopping around but on something as important (to them) as mileage I doubt I'll have any luck. I even took a photo of the odometer & VIN when I went in today and that didn't help. The teller even said "Motorcycle odometers don't even have six digits, so this is clearly a typo" but couldn't help me beyond that.

Last but not least, before smutty owned the bike it was titled in Maine. The MA RMV said that, if the mileage was wrong on the Maine title, smutty is going to have to go his previous owner and have the title corrected in Maine. The chances of that happening are basically zero, I'm sure

Last edited by number9; 03-31-22 at 09:10 PM.

Balls. This doesn't sound good. I'll do some checking at work today.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Balls. This doesn't sound good. I'll do some checking at work today.
    Today is my last day of parental leave, so I'll try and call the CT DMV and save you some headache.

I think the easiest fix is going to be if you can get a replacement title showing the same high mileage (225522 or whatever it is) and then I give that to the MA RMV and don't bother contesting it.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post

This is a pain in the ass, but not completely a lost cause. There's a form you can fill out and get it signed and notarized and submit to the registry for the correction. Just had to go through this when I helped out my mom in buying her new car and the seller(in CT ironically) accidentally checked the box on the back of the title that said the mileage was incorrect.

FWIW CT issued me a replacement title on the spot at the dmv. I had to fill out a Q1 which says takes upwards of 2 months to process but they let me hand it right back to them, he fired off a new title and I was on my way.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    This is a pain in the ass, but not completely a lost cause. There's a form you can fill out and get it signed and notarized and submit to the registry for the correction. Just had to go through this when I helped out my mom in buying her new car and the seller(in CT ironically) accidentally checked the box on the back of the title that said the mileage was incorrect.
    Any idea which specific form it is?

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    FWIW CT issued me a replacement title on the spot at the dmv. I had to fill out a Q1 which says takes upwards of 2 months to process but they let me hand it right back to them, he fired off a new title and I was on my way.
    That's good to know, thanks!

I spoke to an incredibly helpful (no sarcasm) guy at the CT DMV helpline.. the bike was sold new in MA, then sold again in NY, then sold to csmutty in CT, and then back to MA with me. It turns out Smutty wrote down the correct mileage but someone at the CT DMV fat-fingered it and added a digit.

I sent in a form (CT form J-23 for the morbidly curious) and this should allow me to get a duplicate title issued. It should not need an inspection because they can view Smutty's application for a title which shows the correct 25522 mileage and then issue a new title based on that.

Keep your fingers crossed!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

And toes!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Isn't there a form from the insurance company that can ne notarized .

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Isn't there a form from the insurance company that can ne notarized .
    I think there is. But in this case, I can prove (well, I've been told) that the issue is entirely on the DMV's side. I've asked them to correct the milage based on Smutty's own title application, instead of saying "correct the milage based on what the bike shows"

Let's hope it works!

After several forms, a few runarounds and many phonecalls.. apparently they are sending me a new title today!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fuck ya. I was very emotionally invested in this thread. Happy it worked out for you.

Good news! Good work outta you!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Let's see what happens if and when the title actually shows up. Everyone I've talked to has been very friendly (which you can't always say when it comes to the MA RMV), but a lot of examples of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you reported anything different I'd be concerned.

Lifer

When you get it do you doing a brief write up here of the steps you took? I am interested in how you worked it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast