Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advise for dealing with Dealerships/Salesman

Hey Guys,

I want to start doing my homework now so I'll be well educated when next spring rolls around. I've never actually had to deal with a salesman/dealership completely on my own before so I'm open to any advise you guys have.

So here's my story, I'm going to be looking at a GSX-R 750 brand new for next year. I'm going to check out what Bettencourts, and South Shore motorsports are going to offer for it.

Now when you walk into a dealership and a salesman approaches you, do you say you're just looking and tease him/her a little bit or do you come right out and say you're looking at such and such bike and sit down and talk business?

Now as far as the MSRP goes, on average how much do dealerships take off?

I know there are various charges added on to the cost of the bike. There's the freight charge, setup charge, and a documentation charge. Depending on the warranty option that could be an additional charge as well. Are there any other charges I should be aware of? On average how expensive are each of these charges?

Has anyone done business with these dealerships?!?! If so what was your experience like?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

I can thoroughly recommend Bettencourt's. I have been dealing with them for years and they don't mess around with extra for this and extra for that (not with me, anyway).

Just go to them, tell them you want a GSX-R750 and tell them that you are willing to pay MSRP but no freight or setup bullshit.

I don't know about Suzuki, but I think honda sells their 3 year extended warranty for about $350

derek

Lifer

There's a few things to do to get the best bang for the buck.

- Go in near the end of the month, walk up to the sales person that looks like they are paying attention. The one reading the paper can be avoided.

- Check with the bank or have cash before going in - talking with real money and a known interest rate lets you have the upper hand. Let the sales person know what interest rate your bank/credit union is offering and ask up front if they can beat it.
    - Let the sales person know if you are looking for a package deal (bike, helmet, jacket, etc) - if they can't move much on the price of the bike they can try to move with in stock accesories.

- Go to multiple dealers

- All the documentation/prep fees are up for negotiation

- If the sales person has to go talk to the manager - when they're gone go as far away from their desk as you can - make them find you... This puts an end to the "I have to check with my manager" game real quick. Or have them bring the manager over so the three of you can work through it.

Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

SSearchVT,

I'll be paying for the bike in full with a check. I dont want to deal with additonal finance bullshit and APR rates. I'm already getting raped for the car I got!! Thanks for your input!!!

Originally posted by BadBoyBilly
    SSearchVT,

I'll be paying for the bike in full with a check. No need to finance. Thanks for your input!!!
    in that case make your offer, if they don't accept it, walk out

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Originally posted by RandyO
    in that case make your offer, if they don't accept it, walk out
    Yes, physical money equals POWER!!!

Lifer

Walk out multiple times.

It is a bike, if it is not your prime transportation you have a lot more power of the salesperson then you do when you're buying a car and your old car is on it's last legs.

Find out the invoice price, make your first offer at or below invoice, make them fight for every penny. You're not going to get exactly the price you first ask for unless they are desperately trying to get rid of that bike, so don't make the mistake of starting the negotiating at the price you actually want.

Originally posted by benVFR

Find out the invoice price, make your first offer at or below invoice, make them fight for every penny.
    Invoice price is what it costs for the dealership to buy it from the manufacturer, and MSRP is the cost to a private citizen right?

If that's the case how do I go about finding out the invoice price?

Originally posted by BadBoyBilly
    Invoice price is what it costs for the dealership to buy it from the manufacturer, and MSRP is the cost to a private citizen right?

If that's the case how do I go about finding out the invoice price?
    i think there is a site you can se what invoice is if you pay like $12...but I think they still play games with that..pretty sure they pay under invoice

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

Yah.. it all depends.

They have complex kickbacks & other programs that may reduce their cost below invoice by the time all is said and done.

But starting at invoice is a good start at least. I think you can find bike invoice prices without paying any money to a website.

e.x. for cars my brother tells me the dealer cost is almost always $500 below the published invoice price, regardless of how expensive the car is. I would have thought the difference would go up the more the cost of the car is but he claims it doesn't.

I think every trick & game with cars has to be magnified with bikes, minus the massive incentives the manufacturer may be feeding the dealer to move a specific model. So there is no reason not to be even more agressive with a bike then a car.

Lifer

You could try this...

In the printed edition of the Kelley Blue Book Official Motorcycle Guide there is a section in the back called "loan codes". The dealer invoice cost can be found there for most Manufacturers. To subscribe to the printed edition of the Kelley Blue Book Official Motorcycle Guide, call 1-800-BLUE-BOOK, extension 22. If you do not want to subscribe, this publication can often be found at libraries or credit unions.

Awesome!!! Great advise guys!!!!

Cash is not always king these days. Remember the dealer makes money if they lend money. Its not there money, its ususally the manufacturer or local finance/bank. I have seen some people get better deals if they take a loan then pay it off a month later...just make sure the loan is not a full interest penalty if paid early.

You could also subscribe to Consumer Reports. It'll flat out tell you what the dealer is likely paying and it'll spell out how much over that the consumer should expect to pay and why. It's probably wunna the greatest buying tools ever...

Lifer

With cash in hand you can assure him you're not dreaming and wasting their time. I'd love to see the look in their eyes after you say "What can YOU do to make ME buy this bike today?"

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Bikes are nothing like cars, there is no where near the money in a bike compared to cars.

Typical margin on a japanese bike is around 17% before frieght which does get charged to dealer, so there is around $1500 dealer profit in MSRP on your GSXR750. I have not seen any rebates offered to dealers on a GSXR in 10 years. No reason to think the will start next year.

If there is a rebate offered on a current year bike it is likely only 200-500 bucks. Manufacturers are not very generouse to dealers, Kawasaki had a bunch of 3 year old bikes in dealers and the most they offered for rebates was $800 on 3 year old product.

Unless you are getting hosed dealers don't make much money on financing anymore. Most of the Manufacturer's financing plans pay $0, bank might pay $75 finder fee, unless the dealer is marking up your rate which they typically can up to about 3%.

Just go in and tell them what you want, what you want to pay, and that your shopping around. Let them put what ever they want on paper, in the end you should still be under MSRP but don't think your gonna buy a GSXR in the spring at invoice. Take the paper to the next shop, get a quote and then go back to the 1st guy. Relax and have fun.

Ninja Secret ssshhh

Look on cycletrader

Today its 8799

There will be dealers usually in Ohio who will publish the bottom line price. Offer your local dealer like $150 more then that...

If he has or can order direct then you should be Golden. If he is BS and must trade with another dealer then he can't make this so F him.

If you have a warm place to store her make the deal in January.

Oh and don't listen to the BS buy the 1K

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Originally posted by tonyd
    Take the paper to the next shop, get a quote and then go back to the 1st guy. Relax and have fun.
    Thats exactily my plan. Have them right down the offer on paper and take it to multiple dealerships and keep going back and forth until I can't get it any lower/better.

don't go in with a personal check most dealers will not take them as final payment. as for the price if you don't do your own work make sure you build a good realship with them and it will be better for you in the long run.

no regrets!!! life is just too short

01 YZ426 motard (sold)
    99 YZ250 (sold)
    klx 110

Don't bother going to the dealerships.

go to atvprice.com(or another online resource) and find out what all the dealers own the bike for(usually 16-17% less than the MSRP as someone already stated).

Email all the dealerships within the range you are willing to drive in. Offer them about 500 bucks for doing business... then go and buy the bike at their cost. See who replies back and take your pick. You can get it done in a day.

500 bucks is plenty for what they do.

No hassle at all.

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Banned

Originally posted by tonyd
    Bikes are nothing like cars, there is no where near the money in a bike compared to cars.

Typical margin on a japanese bike is around 17% before frieght which does get charged to dealer, so there is around $1500 dealer profit in MSRP on your GSXR750. I have not seen any rebates offered to dealers on a GSXR in 10 years. No reason to think the will start next year.

If there is a rebate offered on a current year bike it is likely only 200-500 bucks. Manufacturers are not very generouse to dealers, Kawasaki had a bunch of 3 year old bikes in dealers and the most they offered for rebates was $800 on 3 year old product.

Unless you are getting hosed dealers don't make much money on financing anymore. Most of the Manufacturer's financing plans pay $0, bank might pay $75 finder fee, unless the dealer is marking up your rate which they typically can up to about 3%.

Just go in and tell them what you want, what you want to pay, and that your shopping around. Let them put what ever they want on paper, in the end you should still be under MSRP but don't think your gonna buy a GSXR in the spring at invoice. Take the paper to the next shop, get a quote and then go back to the 1st guy. Relax and have fun.

Dead right on all counts.

derek

Originally posted by SQUIZZ636
    don't go in with a personal check most dealers will not take them as final payment. as for the price if you don't do your own work make sure you build a good realship with them and it will be better for you in the long run.
    So how else would I pay for a bike in full?? Walk in with thousands and thousands of dollars in my pocket??? Only way i'm doing that is if I have my 1911 Smith and Wesson on me!!!

So how else would I pay for a bike in full?? Walk in with thousands and thousands of dollars in my pocket??? Only way i'm doing that is if I have my 1911 Smith and Wesson on me!!!
    cashiers check or a money order

'09 r1 white & red

if they don't want to take a personal check, put it on a credit card and pay the credit card with a personal check before the end of the month

I've never had a problem with a dealer taking a personal check

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Originally posted by RandyO
    if they don't want to take a personal check, put it on a credit card and pay the credit card with a personal check before the end of the month

I've never had a problem with a dealer taking a personal check
    I was just about to say that, LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast