Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

"Custom" bike resale.

"Custom" bike resale.

Last season I bought a sportster 1200 in an effort to slow down on the street. As it turns out, having ridden sportbikes for a while all I can focus on his how the bike handles like dog shit even with everything up to snuff (new, properly inflated tires. Brakes bled and fluid replaced, suspension adjusted with what little there is to change). Instead of selling it, I'm looking at a Ryca bolt on café racer kit. The kit requires chopping the rear tail section to make room for a solo seat. Removes the rear fender, brake light and turn signals. Re locates the plate, has rear sets, front fairing, and an exhaust system. I'm pretty much sold on it, because I love the looks of the sportster with a café look to it. And even though it's slow and heavy the Evo motor is pretty reliable. I guess my issue is that I don't know what resale is like on something like this. If I make all these permanent changes to the bike, are buyers interested in a bike like that? The kit looks pretty reputable and the finished products look, in my opinion, really nice. But it does void a lot of DOT required stuff out (tail light, fender, signals, aftermarket exhaust). Is thing something that's going to scare the crap out of potential buyers a few years down the road?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: "Custom" bike resale.

Scare the crap out of? Doubtful. Limit your market? Very likely. Honestly I'd take care of the dog shit handling first and click "buy it now" on RaceTech's website.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I bought a 2005 Roadster, which was Harley’s “sporty” Sportster. Rubber mount carbed motor with dual front discs, a tach, and full length shocks.

Then I spent hundreds on new suspension, tires, and seat. Had the rims powder coated black. This is before the new rear shocks and rear luggage rack went on.

Harley doods completely ignored this bike. The young sport bike riders in Boston typically went absolutely nuts over it.

But had three Bikes at the time and 9 times out of 10, I’d take something else. Engine cases were too wide for much cornering clearance. 650 standards would dust it and didn’t vibrate like drunk at idle. Range was 110 miles which meant gas stops almost every day. Had no troubles and it wasn’t bad on the highway.

Decided to sell, in July. Took everything off it I could and listed it for what I originally paid. That is when I learned that most people who want Harley’s have no money. Eventually sold it for $200 less than I paid for it, via eBay to a middle-aged school teacher from Maine who’d never owned a motorcycle before.

So based on my experience, you will reduce the value by roughly what you put into it.

I bought a Suzuki Boulevard S40 off my friend for my wife and I looked at the Ryca kits, but there's no way I'm putting $3k into a $1.5k bike hoping to get $5k for it.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.