Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cycle deaths on the rise

Lifer

Cycle deaths on the rise

Well damn, I guess I'm going to sell my bike and get into eXtreme knitting. I hear it's a sick adrenaline rush.

Seriously... it amazes me that so many older guys are getting into riding that the average age of riders went up from 29 all the way to 36... that is a huge jump. That is an awful lot of guys over 40 that must dwarf all the teenagers and 20-somethings that are doing the "stunting" stuff, etc..

Otherwise this doesn't seem to have anything new in it.

And our typical friggin government... $2-3 million is too much for a new hurt report (why so expensive?) but they are spending $4.2 million per year on Shrimp aquaculture research and $5 million a year to run a program to recognize companies for an award?

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Cycle deaths on the rise

hmmm . . .. I know this article doesn't talk about this current up coming summer but think of it . . .But think of it . . . Movies . .. Ghost Rider (Nicholas Cage) , 2 Fast 2 Furious (Bikes) , Bikerboyz, Torque . . . Wow this summer is gonna bring allota people into motorcycling . . I'm glad I started last year

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Cycle deaths on the rise

Originally posted by T-595 Greg
    the biggest thing (in my opinion) is the chances of getting some 40+ year old guy to take the MSF course is slim to none.... at least you can talk youngsters into it
    hey, dammit... I was 40+ the last time I took the MSF

this is old news, various rags drag it out from time to time when they don't have any real news to report. I seem to recall seeing further reports that the biggest single group is over-40 guys on 1300cc plus (read: cruiser) bikes who have less than 2 yr. back on bikes after a prolonged (ten or more years) absence.

uh-h-h... don't seem like much of a mystery to me...

I'm w/ Greg, tho... sux that MY insurance rates are linked to these RUB FOGs...

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Lifer

Cycle deaths on the rise

The trends go back to 1990 so the movies probably don't have a big effect... Hell top gun probably got just as many people to buy bikes. (And Mr. Cruise didn't wear a helmet there)

Interestingly enough my dad rode a lot when he was in his 20s for a few years and quit, and he did voluntarily sign up for the MSF course in like 1997 when he decided he needed another bike. But he totally doesn't care about gear, etc.. and will go riding in shorts and t-shirt if he thinks it's hot.

It's a little mind boggling though. Another guy I know who is my dad's age who is a blast to hang out with and talk bikes, and never stopped riding for the last 20 years, etc.. turned out to have no clue about countersteering and some other basic things. I think he must just have a ton of common sense though, as he's been riding forever and hasn't had a bad accident.

Ben

I Dance With Will

Cycle deaths on the rise

I should also say... I don't give a shit if people go kill themselves, buy a Hayabusa or whatever for their first bike, or ride around in a wife-beater and flip-flops.....

I DO care that MY insurance and the way government looks at motorcyclists is affected by these people...

ok, I'm done ranting now.

my logic tells me that if you care about insurance increase then you should care about people killing themselves on bike, unless you can change the insurance law not to increase due to dumbass people killing themselves.

"fuckit!"

Cycle deaths on the rise

i think the point is that greg doesn't care what happens to the other morons. just how what happens to them impacts him. (ack, too many pronouns!) put a different way, if his insurance goes up, he cares that the accident happened, but not a bit about what happened to the operator.

yeesh. that's the last time i try to make something CLEARER.

hell, my dad had been riding steadily for uh... i dunno... 30 years or so without any accidents that didn't involve a low speed turn & gravel... took the MSF basic at 48 just to get the insurance break. said he learned a lot.

oh, and the title on the graphic is nice and eye-catching, too.. :

Last edited by twrayinma; 03-12-03 at 05:15 PM.
    The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Cycle deaths on the rise

"the average age of motorcyclists killed in crashes increased from 29.3 in 1990 to 36.3n 2001"

hmmm, that means that all the jackasses who blame the high ins. rates on us youngsters are WAY off... Aparently it's just as much you old buggers getting killed. Not to say that young guys don't do stupid shit and get killed, but this indicates that they're not even close to the whole problem.

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Banned

Cycle deaths on the rise

Oh shit, I'm exactly 36.3 !!!

degsy

Cycle deaths on the rise

What make you guys think that more "older" riders are getting into motorcycling, what's happening is that boomers like myself who have been riding and for the most part make up the single largest age group in most demographic stastical analisys are getting older, the majority of newby riders are still younger riders.

I would say that the the number of fatalaties on the rise has more to do with increase traffic and riding miles than anything else

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Cycle deaths on the rise

Originally posted by RandyO
    What make you guys think that more "older" riders are getting into motorcycling, what's happening is that boomers like myself who have been riding and for the most part make up the single largest age group in most demographic stastical analisys are getting older, the majority of newby riders are still younger riders.

I would say that the the number of fatalaties on the rise has more to do with increase traffic and riding miles than anything else

Well the article seems to take into account many aspects of relevance, such as the number of riders on the road, the relaxation of safety laws in certain states, etc. But I notice it makes no mention of the correlation of motorcycle deaths and the number of cell-phone-wielding SUV drivers on the road...

hmmmm..

Cycle deaths on the rise

Statistics. That's all it is. Anyone can make any number look like anything to suit their needs. It's THAT cut & dry. If they want it to look that way, their gonna make it look that way. If any wunna us were given the same figures they got, it wouldn't be too difficult to start cutting statistics to back up why motorcycling is SAFER than ever now...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Cycle deaths on the rise

Yup, figger lie and liars figger

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Cycle deaths on the rise

Originally posted by RandyO

that same report I referred to earlier pinpointed the "over 40 / over 1300cc / under 2 yr (I think) back in the saddle after a long absence" as a real spike in the demographic of the fatalities. alcohol was also listed as a major contributing factor-- not only in overall deaths, but specifically w/in this category.

read somewhere else that the most significant increase in H-D sales in recent yrs has been this same crowd... older guys w/ little recent experience, getting back into the game again.

Jay's right... the article picks certain stat's that support its position, and fills the rest w/ supposition. cheap journalism trick, anyone can do it in the absence of real research & talent...

(rant concluded... returning you to your regularly scheduled entertainment)

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Cycle deaths on the rise

the biggest thing (in my opinion) is the chances of getting some 40+ year old guy to take the MSF course is slim to none.... at least you can talk youngsters into it

I think it's total listening to all these guys my age (and older) who say "yeah I rode in highschool and decided to get a bike after 25 years".... do they even think to take any training? no... their fragile ego couldn't handle it. so they go out and have a single vehicle accident going around a corner.... douche bags are making MY insurance cost more.
    I guess I must be a minority. I did the MSF course at an age of over 40. I think you need ta Chill out or take a suck pill or sumthin!

Just for your edification I scored 100 % on the written and was the top ranking in the field testing. I bought my F4i in December '02'. It was my first street bike. I put 14,500 miles on it without incodent. (God is watching over me)

FireNutzRR

another middle age guy

Well, I was not quite 40 (39) when I took the MSF class but I had been riding dirt bikes. Aside from the insurance break-the whole concept made sense to me. Now I am taking it a step further and going to the STAR school in August. You can never have too much practice.

PD

I Dance With Will

Cycle deaths on the rise

Originally posted by FireBallF4i
    I guess I must be a minority. I did the MSF course at an age of over 40. I think you need ta Chill out or take a suck pill or sumthin!

Just for your edification I scored 100 % on the written and was the top ranking in the field testing. I bought my F4i in December '02'. It was my first street bike. I put 14,500 miles on it without incodent. (God is watching over me)

FireNutzRR
    oh man i thought i started out late but this sounds almost like me with the same yr class and bike, color, year except we're 10 years apart.

"fuckit!"

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

Cycle deaths on the rise

Hhm...guess being a woman does pay off. Sounds like we are accident free. But seriously, I just don't understand the whole testosterone dealy. Why is a guy's ego worth more than learning the right way to ride?? Don't you think you would want to be able to live so you could ride another day? TAKE A SAFETY COURSE ALREADY!!!!!

Ok...stepping down off the soap box. Next?

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Cycle deaths on the rise

Originally posted by NinjaChic
    Hhm...guess being a woman does pay off. Sounds like we are accident free. But seriously, I just don't understand the whole testosterone dealy. Why is a guy's ego worth more than learning the right way to ride?? Don't you think you would want to be able to live so you could ride another day? TAKE A SAFETY COURSE ALREADY!!!!!

It's the same reason a man won't ask for directions when we're lost. Our ego's bruise very easily.

John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

won't ask for directions

Originally posted by NinjaChic

but i would lern all i can even from a girl ps safety course when i got me lic. . ya pulled up this old gray haired fucker came out . said you ride kid . tell um hell yeah . your ok kid you got your lic. i think it cost like $5.00
    one other thing i dont think i would start now, cages, cell phones , mini vans , suvs , traffic , leos,

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.