Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Need damage estimate for bike

This would be my choice:

Call a dealer with a list of the parts that need to be replaced, and ask to get prices for each part. Then figure how long it would take you to change the parts over, figure for half the labor time (they do that shit for a living afterall, they're pretty quick) and go with $55/hour labor rate.

That should give you a pretty good idea.

Oh and I'm assuming this isn't for the frame?

0 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

"I brap with a clear conscience." - nhbubba

ouch, the only insurance claim I ever had on a bike, Cycles! 128 did the estimate AND work. They totally soaked me too, ran the bill up to $4900, adding 4 points to my license. I won't be doing that shit again.

0 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

"I brap with a clear conscience." - nhbubba

Originally posted by silent1

cheapest I found was at GBM - they charged was like 10% of the total damage estimate if they don't do all the work.

OMG!! ...and I thought I was raped when my local shop charged me a $100 bucks for the damage estimate on my bike (after I told him I was going to take the bike back and repair it myself). I tried to include the $100 charge for the estimate on the insurance claim, but my adjuster said if I did that then he would subtract the money for the labor ($500) from the estimate, which is a bunch of crap. I ended up paying the $100 out of pocket.

I still don't know why this is the case because when my car was damaged, I told the insurance adjuster (from a different company) up front I was going to fix the car myself and he still included the cost of labor in the damage estimate. Of course he still managed to screw me too since they only use the cost of used parts in their estimates!!

IMO, what is so special about a mechanic at a local motorcycle shop? I didn't see any Kawasaki certifications hanging on his wall. What guarantees does the bank or insurance company have that he can change a plastic cowling or brake lever better than I can? Why shouldn't the bike owner be reimbursed for his/her time to repair the bike?

And what the hell is up with the bike shops charging hundreds of dollars to estimate bike repairs when most automobile body shops will give quotes for no charge? I could live with $50, but 10% of the total damage ?!?

0 Not allowed!

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

That's funny when I told my INS. company about my dump on the R6 they said they would send there rep out to look at it at the house.....and so he show up and totalled it on the spot? I willing to bet that the R6 wasnt even totalled. Oh well

0 Not allowed!

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

"I'll tell you what I tell my girl...Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

When I dumped my bike, the ins. company had there people look at the bike for the first estimate and any other costs not seen by there people could be added in after. Had a local bike repair shop (The Pit Stop in New Bedford, Ma.) look at the bike for $40 and got other things added to the list. Did the work myself and had a friend that worked at a body shop stamp my repair verification paperwork. For a total out of pocket of about $160, compared to the $3300 in damage or the $500 deductable I had.

Also since I had full coverage at the time I got the insurance to pay for the helmet by making them realize in Ma. the helmet IS PART OF THE BIKE. This is done by reminding them of the state helmet law.

This is nice to remember if you happen to be at fault, if some one else is at fault they have to replace helmet, leathers, boots, etc.

Good luck:cool

0 Not allowed!

RiceRocket1
    What insurance company did you have. I told my insurance company the same thing about a helmet being part of the bike, but they didn't buy it. I want some more info so I can get more money for my helmet too.

0 Not allowed!

I too was able to get my insurance company to pay for a helmet replacement after my crash a coupla years ago. It wasn't easy though, as they insist that it's covered by your homeowner's/rental insurance. Which by law is a total crock in NH. If it was involved in a m/v accident in which you are insured, then it's covered by that policy. I hadta call my agent (we have four cars, a boat, a bike and our house insured through them) and made a BIG stink. Also asked them if they wanted to insure me knowing I couldn't afford a new lid. They eventually caved, and I hadta get three written estimates for replacement...

Don't take any crap from them. Do the math. How much money have you given them over the years? And for what? Exactly! You've been giving them your hard earned money for just such as event. Often, they need to be reminded of that. The claim you make doesn't even make a dent in the money you've paid to them over the years...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

At the time of the accident I was carring full coverage, I kept insisting that they pay for the helmet and tried to get the leather covered. They insisted that neither of them was part of the bike because they do not come with the bike from the bike manufacturer. My agent, and claims adjuster were actually on my side but didn't think that I would get. It took many calls to the ins. company, they continued to say that they were not part of the bike. I then asked them what state they had me listed as living in, and what state the accident happened in. From that point they told me Ma., so then I asked them what was the state helmet law for Ma., They told me that I had to wear the helmet by LAW. So then I told them that Since I was following they law and wearing the helmet it is PART OF THE BIKE. They finally agreed, I had the origanal box for the lid with price tag and sale tag still on it, brought it to my agent so they could make any paperwork needed for the company, but some how the sale tag didn't make it there with the rest of the box. Extra $300 for they missing tag, sometimes it pays to loose things. The leather was repairable but they didn't pay for it or my gloves because they were not mandated my Ma. law.

Hope this helps

Sorry Commerce Ins. Co.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rice-rocket1; 06-30-02 at 07:57 AM.

That's basically how it worked for me too. They wouldn't cover the leather damage either. But hey, I was happy that they gave me $450 for a three year old helmet...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

First, I'll say I'm very lucky that my accident didn't cause any more physical harm than some minor cuts and bruises.

But by far the worst part about that crash was dealing with the insurance companies. I agree with Stoneman 100%. What the hell do they think I send them checks every month for?

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JCzx12
    ouch, the only insurance claim I ever had on a bike, Cycles! 128 did the estimate AND work. They totally soaked me too, ran the bill up to $4900, adding 4 points to my license. I won't be doing that shit again.
    Wow Cycles 128 eh?
    I have heard nothing but good about them. However what i did hear was directed more toward sales and NOT service...

0 Not allowed!
    " Never create what you can't control "

combing the archives, dude?

0 Not allowed!
    The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Insurance crap

I hate insurance companies, my bike got backed over 4 months ago, I waited over a month for a claims adjuster to look at it, then he gave me some bullshit about the tow, so I ended up riding it down to naults manchester in the middle of january. Naults was very quick with the estimate, but, the bike's been there waiting for him to approve the repairs for about three weeks now.

0 Not allowed!

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

When my bike tipped over in a parkin lot last August, I called my asshole Liberty Mutual company to report the claim. Less than a week later, the guy was in my driveway lookin at the damage. After ME telling HIM that sportbike tires don't usually last a hell of a lot longer than 8000 miles, he wrote up my claim for all new left side bodywork. HE called the shop and got my estimates. Then, once the estimate was sent for my approval, I noticed it was shy one $576 mid-fairing and made him do it over before I accepted anything(after his pissing and moaning that it wasn't a big deal).

In the end, I made out on the deal. One light wind caused over $2300 worth of damages, landing a $1800 check in my pocket. Have THEM do the gruntwork. Estimate the damage yourself wicked high, nearly the price of the bike. Then, if they think it's too high, have THEM come out and prove you otherwise. After all, that is their job, not yours.

I hate insurance companies..........

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport