Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Went to the Dark Side...

I Went to the Dark Side...

...for now. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this. I was going to make it my full time street/track bike, but I'm not sure it's 100% practical for that. Thing is I only have room for one bike in my garage (and in my budget lol) so either this or the FZR has to go (which is why the FZR is for sale).

I'm betting some of you will recognize this bike from track days at NHMS. It's a 2004 Husqvarna SMR450 centennial edition. I've only seen one other one around here for sale, and none on eBay, so I'm thinking it's pretty uncommon. It's in good shape, and it's all stock. Has a newer (approx 500 miles) top end, and it runs like a beast.

So the question is keep it (and ride like a hooligan with the biggest shit eating grin under my helmet), or trade it for something that's a little more practical (and wish I was riding a sumo). The only thing that scares me is the maintenance, but good lord is it fun...

I Went to the Dark Side...-img_20131126_232137-jpg
    I Went to the Dark Side...-1385612544057-jpg
    I Went to the Dark Side...-imag0155-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: I Went to the Dark Side...

I don't see a car tire

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

what kind of street riding are you doing?

you should be changing the oil every 500miles on that, and checking valves every 1000. this will take less than an hour once you do it the first time, there's not a thing to get nerved about. it just becomes a more "intimate" ownership experience.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    what kind of street riding are you doing?

you should be changing the oil every 500miles on that, and checking valves every 1000. this will take less than an hour once you do it the first time, there's not a thing to get nerved about. it just becomes a more "intimate" ownership experience.
    I would like to take some longer trips, i.e. 100 miles or less (probably closer to 60 miles). I can try to avoid highways as much as possible, I know these things aren't great on the highways. I already downloaded all the manuals (owners and workshop), and a parts fiche just in case. I don't mind doing the maintenance, I just don't have the money to fix it if something fails catastrophically, but since one of the previous owners did the top end, the thing sounds like it runs perfect. I took it for a little rip over Thanksgiving (break from school for me) and it runs and rides beautiful. Doing top ends on 4T's make me a little nervous but I'm sure that I'd be fine. Also it likes expensive oil, but I guess I'd have to get over that too lol.

I Went to the Dark Side...-darth_scooter-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I had one last year and while it was a hoot to ride, it got old quickly. I ran out of places to utilize its hooligan capabilities. Then I tried it on a few longer rides, like 100ish mile rides, and the thing was a torture rack. I miss it but only for 5 minutes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

keep the FZR for longer rides and keep the sumo for hooligan and track days!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Trade for an sv and race it, or put d606s on it and enjoy dirt and street

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    I had one last year and while it was a hoot to ride, it got old quickly. I ran out of places to utilize its hooligan capabilities. Then I tried it on a few longer rides, like 100ish mile rides, and the thing was a torture rack. I miss it but only for 5 minutes.
    This is what I'm worried about, it makes great race bike, but soon enough you run out of places to ride it like a hooligan. That's why I'm thinking about trading it for something else and just selling the FZR.

Shortbus I considered an SV650 to race with, but I'd rather not have two bikes with limited space to store them.

If you're gonna have a street/track bike, an sv is probably the easiest bike to live with in that regards.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I have a trade offer. Its a 2005 SV650 with 23k on it. Looks pretty well kept and has a Yoshimura carbon slip on. Is that a fair trade?

That's a $2500 bike all day. You could probably do even better right now with cash monies.

What kind of riding are you planning on doing, really?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

That's a $2500 bike all day. You could probably do even better right now with cash monies.

What kind of riding are you planning on doing, really?
    I'm not going to be doing any touring, that's for sure. It's mostly just back roads stuff, some highway riding. The only thing that scares me about this bike is the maintenance (and therefore the reliability). It's Italian, and not only is it Italian, it's an MV Agusta. That scares me lol. I think it's going be a shitload of fun, but at what cost?

Chipper, what do you ride right now? I see the 560 in your sig, but that's probably a whole different beast from my bike.

The 560 is gone, as is my sv, which leaves a Ducati fuglystrada as my streetbike.
    I'm on the prowl for a new track steed currently.

What's an mv Augusta? You lost me.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

The 560 is gone, as is my sv, which leaves a Ducati fuglystrada as my streetbike.
    I'm on the prowl for a new track steed currently.

What's an mv Augusta? You lost me.
    You know MV Agusta the Italian motorcycle manufacturer that makes bikes that are utterly unreliable, yet beautiful and sound amazing lol.

How was the 560 reliability wise?

My 560 was a race only bike. Once the motor was built it was fine.
    Ti valves (stock) are VERY expensive.
    Iron valve guides (stock) are junk
    And the crank needs to be welded and balanced, and to race reliably turned for 2 ball bearings to get rid of the needle bearing.

That's for race use. If you're just gonna derp it around town you can put that stuff off.
    A motard (any) isn't really the same as a mv. It's a totally different animal.

Once the valves settle in they usually don't move too much. You know they'll need adjusting (shim/bucket in the husky iirc) because the thing will be a bitch to start.
    Once you do it once, seriously, a valve check/oil change will take less than an hour. In that regards there's NOTHING to be afraid of. It's got a new top end, so the life of the motor should last through a normal span if you keep the thing up.
    Add a comfier seat, a radiator fan if it's not there, and brap on. The only other bits of fanciness that'll help reduce stress on the motor is a Cush drive hub (if it doesn't already have one) and/or a slipper clutch.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

The previous owner seems like he took very good care of it so I don't think the valves will be a problem but still ill check them. Also the seat isn't too bad as it sits. Where would I find an electric fan for it?

I'd like to think I'd do a little more than derping around on it. I definitely won't ride it like a grandpa lol

Well, you didn't indicate you'd be road racing it either. I think that's where motard reliability is an issue. There are plenty of peeps around with that style of motor as ds or streetish bikes that have no problem.
    I don't know about the fan. I just know it's a very popular upgrade to that gen ktm counterpart as the exc's and factory motards didn't come with them.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Well, you didn't indicate you'd be road racing it either. I think that's where motard reliability is an issue. There are plenty of peeps around with that style of motor as ds or streetish bikes that have no problem.
    I don't know about the fan. I just know it's a very popular upgrade to that gen ktm counterpart as the exc's and factory motards didn't come with them.
    I might do a few track days on it. How much is that going to affect the reliability and top end longevity?

Not much.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Well then I guess I should be okay. Looks like I'm going to keep it. Really the only thing I would consider instead is an RC51 (not many people would do that trade) or an older Speed Triple 955i. Other than that Chipper you have convinced me to keep the sumo. Thank you for your help.

Chipper how much race sag did you run when you had your 560? I have about 80mm of sag right now.

Ummmm, yes.

I have nofuckingclue.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I'd trade you my 636 if you were looking for a dedicated track bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    I'd trade you my 636 if you were looking for a dedicated track bike.
    I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet lol. I've pretty much come down to the conclusion that I only have room for one bike so it's going to have to be able to do both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast