Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dating a former Girl Friend

Dating a former Girl Friend

Remember how she way she made you feel when you climbed on top of her. She made all the right noises and shook when when you did it just right. . . Then you sold her cause you got bored with her... Then you look at classified post on FB Marketplace, EBay and Craigslist and there is her picture. Ahhhh yas. That was a great motorcycle. I should get back on one again.

Have you sold a bike and then found another one just like it and purchased it again? Or possibly the exact same bike you bought it back? These stories usually don't make sense to most. Much like the old GF analogy. Your riding friends look at you perplexed. With all the bikes out there, why go back to that???

I can go first with my most recent purchase.

It was 2005 after I had sold my soul to club racing. I was so in debt that I sold my 2000 Harley and had sold my Ducati 996 in 2002 to finance racing. No motorcycle at all at the end of the 2004 season I sold my EX500 shit box race bike and come spring had no ride. The jitters were hitting hard and no money in my pockets I started looking at options. I knew about Argo Cycles from racing and saw they had a Buell XB12R that had crashed and was straight but the frame was scratched. Selling it cheap I was able to pony up the cash to purchase it. I had this fascination with Buell's. They made very similar power to a air cooled Ducati 900SS and had a ton of character. So I rode the piss of out that Buell for a few years. I took it to the Tail of the Dragon and did 2500 miles in one week on it. I did track days on it. I really enjoyed that bike.

Dating a former Girl Friend-tomatdealsgap-jpg Dating a former Girl Friend-20060527a045l-jpeg

The years piled on and I recovered from the bankruptcy of racing and bought more bikes. The Buell went to the back of the garage and didn't get much love. Finally I sold it with over 30K miles on it and never an issue with the bike other than clutch cable snapping while out on it. Yes I made it home without stopping once..

It's always been one of those weird bikes that I wish I hadn't sold. Just to get a ride on it now and then. Well a fool and his money.... Trips down memory lane while looking at FB marketplace. . . A buddy sends me an ebay listing. It was in the center of the country but it was a 25th Anniversary Buell XB12R in the classic Buell white with blue. I bought the stupid thing and long story short. I got it in the garage this weekend. Yesterday was the first ride.

Dating a former Girl Friend-img_4026-jpg

So the old GF is back. How was she? Old! LOL I thought she was faster and whats up with those feeble brakes! LOL But she's a keeper. New pads and a front rotor on order, new tires, air cleaner coming in.... The $$$'s are adding up.

-Bike poor Tommy D

12 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Re: Dating a former Girl Friend

Hey, if you like it, then do what makes you happy. I do miss some of my old bikes at times (Vmax, KiLaR mostly) and have considered finding new examples.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

A few more years and your GF will finally be 18

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was always intrigued by that front brake! Good looking bike.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I was always intrigued by that front brake! Good looking bike.
    The front brake is good for street use. Warps under racing conditions.

Any chance this former girl stood on one leg going up Shrewsbury Street in Worcester and frequented Dunkin’s many years ago??

I sometimes think about my old car. I even found her on FB market a couple of years ago for sale in VT with another 30k on the clock since I had traded her in. But it's a rare thing to find one in good condition these days.

I haven't owned enough bikes to miss the old ones, but for a brief moment on track last year when my mind wasn't up to speed yet, but the 890 Duke R sure was, and I briefly wished for my old SV650.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I want my sv1000 back badly.

Hypertarded

She'd have to get away FIRST, which is why I keep the Hyper tied up in the back of the basement.....

I've owned a lot of bikes but I really regret selling a 99 DR650 I had. Stone age technology, loud fmf pipe. We were bleeding money renovating our house so I didn't ride it a ton and can't even remember what I sold it for. Should have kept it and put a sumo set up on it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I feel so empty.

I don’t think I’ve met “the one that got away yet”.

Your park avenue leads to..

I would buy another Buell, when it ran well it was such a blast to race. As a street bike sometimes track mule it should be a cool ride.
    Do we start a one that gotta away thread?

Quote Originally Posted by 03Worc9R View Post
    Any chance this former girl stood on one leg going up Shrewsbury Street in Worcester and frequented Dunkin’s many years ago??
    Ha ha ha. Yes that did pull a few wheelies on Shrewsbury St back in the day.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

I got my Ducati sport classic back after a few years away from me. Just too beautiful to let her go ....again.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I always thought I'd eventually want to track down another RF900R. That is, until I saw one that was for sale and checked it out. Nope, it didn't seem like what I remembered...

The bike I miss the most is hands down my TL1000R. Given my physical limitations I'd be lucky to spend 20 minutes at a whack on it now, on a good day. But man, something about that bike just made my tummy tingle. I absolutely loved riding that thing and still miss it.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I've owned a lot of bikes but I really regret selling a 99 DR650 I had. Stone age technology, loud fmf pipe. We were bleeding money renovating our house so I didn't ride it a ton and can't even remember what I sold it for. Should have kept it and put a sumo set up on it.
    Got a 790cc big bore one you can take for a spin whenever you want.
    Let me know if you want it with street, dirt, or track wheels.
    Dating a former Girl Friend-985e8c6e-b565-4115-a888-2724ac486895

I really don’t miss any of the ones I’ve sold. A few I regret buying though.

I still have my SV650, just got to put her back together with a few new parts, ok, a lot of new parts, rebuild the motor, new forks, new rear shock. nothing broken, just worn out.

I would also like to ride my XV920R again, very comfortable ride, great ergonomics, not a ton of horsepower, but gobs of torque

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I have always loved those XB12R's and that blue/white is far and away one of my favorite paint schemes (I also love the blue/white Daytona 675's).

Can't say I can relate to selling a bike and wishing to have it again. I seem to hold onto the bikes I truly enjoy. I do miss my FZ6 and Daytona at times, but mostly for the memories that popup from time-to-time, I don't think I would truly enjoy owning them again (there was a reason I sold them in the first place). If I own a bike longer than 2 years, it probably means I'm keeping it indefinitely. Now if I could only buy back my old van...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I still have my SV650, just got to put her back together with a few new parts, ok, a lot of new parts, rebuild the motor, new forks, new rear shock. nothing broken, just worn out.

I would also like to ride my XV920R again, very comfortable ride, great ergonomics, not a ton of horsepower, but gobs of torque
    Do you still have the DL1000?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Do you still have the DL1000?
    yes, road worthy, but down for modifications still, fabrication of an auxiliary battery box is next, then my final step, the auxiliary wiring, currently working on my K-Pipe though, replace the saddle and install my steering damper, well not working on that either, my current project is my Alaskan chainsaw mill

too many projects at once, I'd like to get the SV & XV920R on the road too, then there's my firing range out back, and my garden, not to mention just keeping up with the house, thinking I want to replace my window AC units with a mini-split

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I miss my XB9S so badly...that white/blue 12 is beautiful! Also miss my SV1000S...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    I miss my XB9S so badly...that white/blue 12 is beautiful! Also miss my SV1000S...
    I miss my 748SP that I had before I left Australia. I think I took a 40% haircut when I sold it.. yikes

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post

It's always been one of those weird bikes that I wish I hadn't sold. Just to get a ride on it now and then. Well a fool and his money.... Trips down memory lane while looking at FB marketplace. . . A buddy sends me an ebay listing. It was in the center of the country but it was a 25th Anniversary Buell XB12R in the classic Buell white with blue. I bought the stupid thing and long story short. I got it in the garage this weekend. Yesterday was the first ride.
    awesome, congrats and wise choice in my book! an old Buell riding buddy of mine just did the same a month or so ago. bikes def have true soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    I miss my XB9S so badly...that white/blue 12 is beautiful!
    amen. still gawk at pics of my 'ol XB12S. almost bought it back years after i sold it but couldn't swing it.

Beta 200RR

Still own the only two bikes i ever bought. The third bike belonged to the old GF,, i still see both on occasion