Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Great days at NYST with Tony's Track Days

Thumbs up Great days at NYST with Tony's Track Days

Had two great days at New York Safety Track with Tony's Track Days. Ran the Downtown direction Sunday and the Uptown direction Monday. Was on my 2006 SV650S as usual and it ran like a top. Softened the rear end a little on my last track day at NHMS to help with some tire tearing and the bike feels better but at NYST it seemed more prone to walk wide on throttle. Not that I was pushing it as this isn't a track where I want to go past the 85% mark. In fact, the only event even close to a "whoops" the whole weekend was on the out lap for my first session ever around it in the Uptown direction. I run really careful the first 1.5 laps and then pretty careful with less lean angle for another half lap so I was putting along… and wow does that first long 180 degree right-hander tighten up at the end. Nearly stood it up and hopped into grass. That would have been seriously embarrassing.

Pics the Arcy (pro photographer) just put up from "Downtown" day:
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h646a2693#h646a2693
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h6eeec35d#h6eeec35d
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h670b6f9a#h670b6f9a
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h6044fad5#h6044fad5
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h6d675b7a#h6d675b7a
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h6d9a1601#h6d9a1601
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h6e818fb0#h6e818fb0
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p491365325/h60edf8ef#h60edf8ef

And some pretty boring video as I'm not racing and there aren't a lot of people in the advanced group. I think the vids show what I do on track and a little of what a track day is like on a bike. Skip forward some in each as the first two laps of each video are me warming up tires. I don't run tire warmers like many of the folks do and honestly I'm over careful warming up my tires.
    http://davespragg.smugmug.com/201308...th-TTD/n-s3hfh

This track is great fun and Tony and crew got us all more track time than most could handle. Good times!

Dave

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Great days at NYST with Tony's Track Days

I'm definitely jealous of all you that were at NYST this past weekend.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It was great to turn some laps with you Dave.. You looked great out there and I could almost stay with you on the straight...

Dave's no joke.

I was relieved when he said he had no intentions of going racing.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz
    I'm definitely jealous of all you that were at NYST this past weekend.
    So go there with bomo on sep 21/22. :-)

Thanks Adam. I was following various people on Uptown in particular to try and improve my lines. Liked downtown better but it's a close heat... both good. I really lose track of who is who on track as I don't know all the leathers and bikes. I was following a control rider for 2 laps around Uptown and realized later I'm 90% sure it was Tim on a silver CBR. He's super slim but didn't look so in his leathers. Then again I could be wrong.

Thanks Mike! You must have the force or something... you could see inside me that I could crash with the best of you. I heard you were busy finishing off your old leathers to make way for the new and hope Advil is serving you well today and that your basically fine.

Dave

Nice, video thanks for sharing Dave!

I really wanna try uptown...

Hey Dave, Thanks for posting the video!

That was me you were following when we caught up to the green bike; I remember that session...

I don't have warmers either, definitely want to get some

I like how your video shows a clear view of the speedo...I never looked while riding so its interesting

Last edited by Imbeek; 08-22-13 at 06:58 PM.

That was a good session for me (the Uptown Video)

I didn't get clear track until I passed the pack on the straight, but I had a few good laps after that.

Last edited by TTD; 08-22-13 at 07:20 PM.
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

You're welcome guys. Imbeek, were you wearing a Ducati jacket? If so, we have pretty similar drives off the corners but I'm generally quicker into or through them. In this video I demonstrated poor "set up for passing" skills I think. Ken could use it for lesson material. It was great riding with all you guys and I found the mood and behavior on track really great Sunday and Monday.

I really enjoyed watching the pink bike (Shannon I think) lean angles. There was at least one rider faster around the track but no one with lean angles like that and as much on power rear end drifting. Really fun to watch and nice loud bike to make throttle usage obvious. If you're out there Shannon... thanks! Good times.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    That was a good session for me (the Uptown Video)

I didn't get clear track until I passed the pack on the straight, but I had a few good laps after that.
    The session after this Uptown session is where I really picked up the pace and the back end started drifting and wiggling enough that I thought something was wrong with my tire/bike and came in a lap or so early. I now think the wiggling was coming from the extra "edge" on my five sided Pirelli but at the time my brain was thinking, "this is a looooong left hander and the little edge of the tire is overheating and I'm going to dump my ass on the ground soon". That caused me to slow down plenty in my last session. I picked up a lot from you and Paul in particular.

I goofed on my GoPro start for that session so I just have a few seconds of Kumpy in the pits and then I turned it off... thinking i was turning it on.

Not a ducati jacket for me...one piece teknic black and white with some pavement mixed in. You are faster though. Is that sv stock? I was on a 600 but wasn't pulling much on the straight, if at all...

I was on "warm up the tires" pace for the first two laps when you were behind me, then when CR Tim went by I picked it up but we came upon another rider. Looks like that was the session where some guys were already coming around when we got out there.

Anyone have a good deal on warmers (new or used)?

Last edited by Imbeek; 08-24-13 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Not a ducati jacket for me...one piece teknic black and white with some pavement mixed in. You are faster though. Is that sv stock? I was on a 600 but wasn't pulling much on the straight, if at all...
    Yeah, my SV is stock in terms of everything except suspension, brake lines, brake pads, rear sets, and steering damper. Motor has 7k on it and has been run on synthetic since I got it. If I messed with anything it would be to remove weight but I've no wish to go to aftermarket bodywork and such.

Hoping I can get some more track time this year...

Dave