Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Is there a dealer that knows ??

Is there a dealer that knows ??

I've been a lurker for a while ........

Thanks for having me !

I just started looking to possibly purchase a new bike. I've been riding for many years ..... As recent as 5 years ago I was riding year round, I didn't even own a car or truck! I rode a bike all spring , summer , and fall then rode my sidecar rig all winter. Then about 2 years ago I started getting a pain in my left leg ... all the time. A quick trip to the Dr. he manipulated my legs .... by the time I rode 10 mins home I could barely get in the house and spent the next 10 days in bed , I mean in bed or on my knees beside it. I had with the help of the Dr. crushed my sciatic nerve! My riding was done , over , kaput ! I think the mental damage from quitting cold turkey was a much worse pain than the pain I felt in my leg! Fast forward 2 years to today , feeling much better........ ready to ride again ( I think)......

Ok so fast forward to last week ... I've been to 2 different multi brand dealers. Within a few mins at both dealers a salesman approached me. I started to ask a few simple questions regarding a couple different bikes.Neither salesman had a clue about any bike I asked about! I mean NOTHING !! One of them wasn't even sure how many cylinders the bike had! The other never actually answered any specific question ...... I knew a bit regarding the bike I asked about but shouldn't a salesman know as much or more than a potential customer does ?

Where is there a Honda and or Yamaha dealer within a couple hours of Portland , Maine that hires people who know what they are selling?

Thanks to all , and no offence to you dealer employee's that do know your products !

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Is there a dealer thats knows ??

Hah, I can only assume you've been to Reynolds then.

Sadly, I dunno where to send ya. Rochester Motorsports in NH isn't that far away, there is a Yamaha dealer in Maine along the way but I don't recall the name, no idea how the sales critters are at either.

If you're considering Italian, Seacoast Sport Cycle (Derry, NH) knows their stuff well.
    I got good vibes from Max BMW (NH seacoast area) as well, if one of those is on your radar.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 09-21-15 at 07:36 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Cant you just look stuff up on the internet like everyone else. Why do you need to be told what you can learn online. Bring your wallet and im sure the dealer will be happy to talk about numbers. Thats thier favorite subject.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

I find that with the Internet & especially forums the customer often knows more about the product than the salesman. Salesman is also a high turnover rate type job. It can be tough to find what you are looking for but I hope you succeed.

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
    2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC

Lifer

Re: Is there a dealer that knows ??

I would go buy the cheapest shittiest bike you can off of craigslist and ride it around for a few weeks/months. If you can still walk after then go buy a new bike. Your riding season is pretty much done now anyway in maine. Youll get a better deal on a new bike in the dead of winter anyway.

Freedom Cycle, Concord NH. I'm not a fan of Rochester Motorsports, but RandyO runs all his moto business through them...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    Cant you just look stuff up on the internet like everyone else. Why do you need to be told what you can learn online. Bring your wallet and im sure the dealer will be happy to talk about numbers. Thats thier favorite subject.
    I don't want to threadjack this thread but I'm with the OP on this one. He/I shouldn't have to "look stuff up on the internet like everyone else" a salesperson's job is to provide information about the product that they are selling to consumer as well as to qualify the consumer to ensure that they are purchasing the correct product for them. A salesperson is not a cashier that is only there to take your money and get a commission for doing so. The fact that society has allowed the sales force to turn into cashiers is problematic and just one of a number of issues with retail establishments in this day and age.

I worked for an electronics retailer, Circuit City, for a few years prior to their competition, Best Buy, entering the New England market. CC used to train their sales staff about the product and compensate them as trained sales people. BB came into the market with the whole warehouse sales approach where their prices were lower and their sales staff was more like cashiers. This, along with numerous other things, drove CC out of the electronics market place. Now, even many years later, when I talk to people about the fact that I worked for CC for a few years, people still tell me they miss CC and the fact that they could go in to buy something and the sales staff actually knew about the product. They all complain about BB and the zombies they have as a sales staff, no offense to anyone who may work at BB as that is how BB makes it. I'm sure there are a few who care enough about their job to learn the product but for the most part they are cashiers that sell extended warranties.

The OP should be able to find a dealership who has employees that are trained on what they sell and have at least a little passion for what they do.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I'm going to disagree. I think its the buyers responsibility to do his due diligence. The sales person is only there to make the sale, he should not be relied on to make your choice. You should know what you are buying, how much you should be paying and what the competition is before you set foot in a show room.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I'm going to disagree. I think its the buyers responsibility to do his due diligence. The sales person is only there to make the sale, he should not be relied on to make your choice. You should know what you are buying, how much you should be paying and what the competition is before you set foot in a show room.
    I agree that the buyer should know this before plopping down money. I disagree that the buyer being knowledgable should excuse the dealer/salesman from knowing their product inside and out.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Maybe National Powersports in Pembroke NH for the brands you want. A member on here Ryan Nicholson works there and can likely help you out.

It's hit or miss. Online is really your best resource until it comes time to throw a leg over.
    Find someone who spends a lot of time online and go out for beers.
    Even better, find people that have the bikes you're interested in .

Thanks for all your thoughts ......

Gr8lite - I work at Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry, NH in Sales. We are about 2 hours from Portland and I would be happy to have you stop in and see what we can do to help. As Phil said, we sell Ducati, Aprilia and Moto Guzzi motorcycles. Home - Seacoast Sport CycleSeacoast Sport Cycle

This thread reminds of the time Emma was at a dealership and the dude was trying to sell her a FZ-09. The latest inline 4 from Yamaha.

She corrected him and moved on... Lol
    I wish I could have seen his face.

There are some good dealers out there. Don't give up. Seacoast and SVM are pretty high on the list.

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I think we can all agree that we have to do due diligence before stepping foot in a showroom, since the majority of dealers blow (excepting the aforementioned Seacoast, et al). Most everyone knows that. Still doesn't change the fact that dealers are supposed to exist to serve the customer and represent the brands they sell, and do so competently. So it's not unreasonable to hope and expect that the premium you pay these folks results in some kind of satisfactory experience. Otherwise they are just a parasite that does nothing but change money between the customer and the factory.

Factories would dump dealers and sell direct in a heartbeat if they were allowed to do so. Ford tried, and got thumped in court. Tesla is doing it and fighting the lawsuits from dealers as we speak.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    no bikes currently

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I don't want to threadjack this thread but I'm with the OP on this one. He/I shouldn't have to "look stuff up on the internet like everyone else" a salesperson's job is to provide information about the product that they are selling to consumer as well as to qualify the consumer to ensure that they are purchasing the correct product for them. A salesperson is not a cashier that is only there to take your money and get a commission for doing so. The fact that society has allowed the sales force to turn into cashiers is problematic and just one of a number of issues with retail establishments in this day and age.

I worked for an electronics retailer, Circuit City, for a few years prior to their competition, Best Buy, entering the New England market. CC used to train their sales staff about the product and compensate them as trained sales people. BB came into the market with the whole warehouse sales approach where their prices were lower and their sales staff was more like cashiers. This, along with numerous other things, drove CC out of the electronics market place. Now, even many years later, when I talk to people about the fact that I worked for CC for a few years, people still tell me they miss CC and the fact that they could go in to buy something and the sales staff actually knew about the product. They all complain about BB and the zombies they have as a sales staff, no offense to anyone who may work at BB as that is how BB makes it. I'm sure there are a few who care enough about their job to learn the product but for the most part they are cashiers that sell extended warranties.

The OP should be able to find a dealership who has employees that are trained on what they sell and have at least a little passion for what they do.
    I'll bet that, even when you were at Circuit City, if I had an interest in a particularly complex product, I'd know more about that product than you. You had to know something about a ton of different things. I only had to know a lot about one. (fwiw I'm not attacking you or trying to be argumentative! I get your point...)

Same thing with Motorcycles. A sales rep at a multi line dealer may have 40 or 50 products to sell. And granted, a lot of them are tweaks on a platform to address different segments. But even so, if I'm interested in, say, a MotoGuzzi Stelvio and have a couple of very technical questions, I wouldn't necessary expect the kid on the floor to have the answers. I would expect her to know where to find them however...

If you were a total newbie I'd expect the dealer to be able to ask you a few qualifying question and offer advice on 2 or 3 models that fit your need. As well as strongly suggesting that you take the MSF Course.

But you're no newbie and probably already have a good idea of what you want.

My advice to the OP is to try and find a dealer that sells what you like as close to you as possible. Then stay with that dealer and develop a long term relationship. As much as we believe 'the customer is always right' that's simply not true. But you DO deserve to be treated as if you are until you become a total asshole!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 09-26-15 at 11:41 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    A sales rep at a multi line dealer may have 40 or 50 products to sell.
    my local dealer sells Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Polaris, Kymco, they sell motorcycles, ATVs scooters, side by sides, watercraft, outboard motors, snowmobiles and power equipment like snowblowers, generators and lawn mowers as well as trailers and I'm sure a few other things I haven't listed, probably closer to 250 products

there are big advantages to building a relationship with a dealer

Last edited by RandyO; 09-28-15 at 11:49 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I would say stop in at Freedom if you can.....they have all the major brands and tons on the floor to sit on look at ect....the sales guys are great and no pressure and know there products too.... I feel they will fit you into what is not only a good deal but a good fit for your needs