Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What dealers do demo/test rides?

What dealers do demo/test rides?

So, I think next year I may buy my first-ever new motorcycle, assuming I have found a house with a garage by then. So I've been starting to think about what I would buy. But the crucial information is missing: What are they like to ride? Every dealer I ask about demo rides laughs in my face and says not in Massachusetts. So. Are there any dealers in central/eastern MA, southern NH, or RI that allow demo rides? And who would allow me to ride more than one of their bikes without pushing me hard for an immediate sale? I'm mainly interested in the european brands, but there are a few Japanese bikes I'd consider also. The only recent demo rides I've managed to get were at Americade (FZ-09, Z1000, Super Tenere) and there were no Euro manufacturers doing demos. So any advice would be appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Re: What dealers do demo/test rides?

I have done test rides at Seacoast and Second wind, also bought bikes at both dealers and they were great. I think it depends on what they have in stock for demo bikes. I used to get to do test rides at Sky Cycle in Lunenburg MA, but that was after buying a few bikes there, and they are gone now.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Max BMW in N. Hampton. Took out both new and used a couple years ago

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

MOM's in Manchester NH let me ride almost anything they had in used stock when I was a 20-something bum with no cash. This was a while ago though.

I have been very impressed with the demo trucks Motorcycle Night in Lowell has been hosting lately.

A friend of mine mentioned a place in CT that allows you to demo and/or rent a bike to drive it around and decide if you like. I think if you rented if was pretty cheap and you could take it for an hour or more. I'll get in contact with him to see if he can hook me up with the information for you. It's something he mentioned to me because he knows I want to upgrade next summer and thinks this would be the best way to get my legs over a few bikes and give true test rides before making a decision as to a new bike.

The Penguin school allows you to demo Ninjas if you do their track day and offers you a $200 or $250 certificate from Kawi to bring to dealer if you decide to purchase a Kawi. The certificate basically pays for the track day, but seems worth it to me.

2016 Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    MOM's in Manchester NH let me ride almost anything they had in used stock when I was a 20-something bum with no cash. This was a while ago though.

I have been very impressed with the demo trucks Motorcycle Night in Lowell has been hosting lately.
    I saw they have victory this week. I'm not too interested in victory, but that was what got me thinking about demo rides tonight...

Thanks for the responses.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    So, I think next year I may buy my first-ever new motorcycle, assuming I have found a house with a garage by then. So I've been starting to think about what I would buy. But the crucial information is missing: What are they like to ride? Every dealer I ask about demo rides laughs in my face and says not in Massachusetts. So. Are there any dealers in central/eastern MA, southern NH, or RI that allow demo rides? And who would allow me to ride more than one of their bikes without pushing me hard for an immediate sale? I'm mainly interested in the european brands, but there are a few Japanese bikes I'd consider also. The only recent demo rides I've managed to get were at Americade (FZ-09, Z1000, Super Tenere) and there were no Euro manufacturers doing demos. So any advice would be appreciated.
    GBM from Arlington allowed me to test ride a used 2009 zx6r that they had for sale as one of my request in order to close the deal on a new one. If they see that you are committed to do the buy, they will let you test ride it.

LRRS AM #110 '02 SV650s
    Racing for: Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Sponsors: Woodcraft CFM, Armorbodies, Yoshimura, DP Brakes, Lucas Oil.

Lifer

How do I know I'm committed to buying before I ride the damned thing?!

Seek out demo rides and used dealers with liberal test ride policies.

The last thing they want is some newbie crashing on a test ride. I am pretty sure that if you go to the dealer on a bike, wearing full gear and you know about the bike/show them you did the research they will let you ride it (the only one who did not allow me to do test rides was Riverside).

Dan

Last edited by DanRo; 08-27-14 at 06:44 AM.
    LRRS AM #110 '02 SV650s
    Racing for: Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Sponsors: Woodcraft CFM, Armorbodies, Yoshimura, DP Brakes, Lucas Oil.

Lifer

Has not been my experience. Even if I wear hi-viz.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Euro manufacturers have cut way back on demo days? I don't think triumph does them at all anymore and I don't recall seeing a Ducati one this year...

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Call Ducati Boston. They have moved to a new location and now carry only Ducati and Triumph. Don't know what they have for demos but it's a great place and nice guys.

^ it's Riverside Motorsports. They don't generally do test rides, but yes, great bunch to deal with.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Here's the website for the dealer in CT http://www.motorsportsnation.com/

I guess it used to be called Excalibur, but is now called Motorsports Nation. Whether or not this has changed their policies since my buddy was able to demo ride a few bikes while looking for his new one a few years ago or not I'm not sure. Worth a phone call though

2016 Ninja 650

I have generally found that dealers of Japanese bikes are difficult to get testrides from. You pretty much have to convince them that you are actively in the market, and seriously considering the bike in question. I get the reasoning, as they probably get a lot of squids and newbies that just want to go for a free ride. The result, though, is that if you want to testride a Japanese bike, your best bet is to go on their website and find out when and where their demo truck is appearing, and then go make the effort to meet it somewhere.

OTOH, I find that it's often not very hard to get a testride on a European or American bike. Harley and Victory dealers fairly often have events or promotions where a testride is available. BMW dealers are often very good about having demo bikes. I've also had good luck with Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, and Moto Guzzi. I think that these dealers generally get a more experienced clientele, and thus have less risk of the bikes being wadded up on a testride. When you get to the next level of the niche bikes, such as MV Agusta, KTM, Bimota, Benelli, Norton, it gets difficult again, just because these are small-volume lines and the dealers don't carry enough inventory to be able to keep demo units around.

It does help if you are recognizable. Show up on a bike, wearing proper gear, a few times and just chat and look around. If they've seen you on the street, or on rides, or at shows or club events, they take you more seriously. The dealer or dealers you use for work or parts for your own bikes should recognize you, and will often be willing to let you try out a bike or two (if you've been a good customer and not a jerk, anyway).

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I just demo'd a Royal Enfield and a Triumph Tiger 800 on Saturday at National Powersports, so Triumph does still do demos.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I recently got offered a test ride on a Suzuki. It was unsolicited on my part. I just showed up in my adventure geek costume riding one of my 3 Suzukis, picked up parts I'd ordered for another one of them, got distracted walking through the showroom and started drooling profusely over the new model of what I'd ridden in on.

So.. do that and you might have a shot. I dunno.

I have yet to find a dealership that would let me test ride a brand new bike..or the exact one I wanted. Most are based on used inventory. I was able to test ride an RSV4 at Seacoast before I purchased mine, but it was a 2010 model, and the one I wanted was 2012. There were several changes to the bikes in 2 years, so mine felt completely different than the one I test rode.
    I was also offered to test ride an RC8 at Razee's last year (another used bike), but had to refuse because I drove there and had no gear with me.

Yamaha

Hey Guys, Just wanted to chime in about demo rides. I work at Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry NH. We are a Ducati, Aprilia and Moto Guzzi dealer as a few of you have mentioned us in your posts above. Ultimately, the demo bikes are to be used as a sales tool to help a customer new to the brand check out a bike or help to decide a different model or two and help narrow down their search.

We currently have the following demo bikes available.

Ducati:
    Monster 696
    Monster 796
    Monster 1200S
    Streetfighter 848
    1199S
    Hyperstrada
    Hypermotard SP
    MultiStrada

Aprilia:
    RSV4
    Dorsoduro 750

Moto Guzzi
    California 1400 Custom
    V7 Stone

They are 2014 models (a few 2013 models but with no changes between the 13 or 14) and all are current. We will be soon starting to sell our demo fleet off and they will be offered with Manufacturer Warranty at a discount off of MSRP.

questions? email me sgreenwood@seacoastsport.com , call 603-437-5656 or stop in.

Even if I was 100% sure of the bike I wanted I would deny the dealer my business if they wouldn't let me test it. Maybe buy online and have it shipped in from a dealer that provides test rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    Even if I was 100% sure of the bike I wanted I would deny the dealer my business if they wouldn't let me test it. Maybe buy online and have it shipped in from a dealer that provides test rides.
    That's funny

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Scottg22 View Post
    Hey Guys, Just wanted to chime in about demo rides. I work at Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry NH. We are a Ducati, Aprilia and Moto Guzzi dealer as a few of you have mentioned us in your posts above. Ultimately, the demo bikes are to be used as a sales tool to help a customer new to the brand check out a bike or help to decide a different model or two and help narrow down their search.

We currently have the following demo bikes available.

Ducati:
    Monster 696
    Monster 796
    Monster 1200S
    Streetfighter 848
    1199S
    Hyperstrada
    Hypermotard SP
    MultiStrada

Aprilia:
    RSV4
    Dorsoduro 750

Moto Guzzi
    California 1400 Custom
    V7 Stone

They are 2014 models (a few 2013 models but with no changes between the 13 or 14) and all are current. We will be soon starting to sell our demo fleet off and they will be offered with Manufacturer Warranty at a discount off of MSRP.

questions? email me sgreenwood@seacoastsport.com , call 603-437-5656 or stop in.
    Hm, interesting. I'd be interested in riding the monster 1200, the hypermotard, and the multistrada. Also the V7, but there's really no chance of me buying that, haha. Also need to find a tiger 1200 and 800 to try somewhere. And a Thruxton. And an 1190 Adventure and Super Duke 1290. My plan is to either keep all of my current bikes and add something kind of hooligany or otherwise fun for short rides (M1200, hypermotard, super duke, speed triple, Thruxton), or get rid of my tiger and sprint and replace them with a multistrada/1190 and a speed/street triple....

Maybe I'll have to take a ride up north some time

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Wagner motorsports let me demo an 1190 Adventure and 1190 Adventure R

Lifer

This reminds me why I dig Seacoast.

Although I've honestly never shopped the brands they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    That seems like a lot of hassle just to prove a point....to nobody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast