Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

dealership vs private sellers?

Just Registered

hey i just wanted to get some advice on buying from dealerships vs private sellers...dealerships are usually higher priced, but the transaction can be easier with financing or registering the bike, private sellers are usually cheaper but sometimes you don't know what you are buying...I know it is possible to have good and bad experiences with both, just looking for everyone's $.02....Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Private sellers > dealers

I don't like being ripped off.

Shoot the J!

MASS has a very good lemon law , so stay in mass if your gonna buy from private. , Dealerships usually jack the shit outta the prices on used bikes.

I once found a CBR F2 for about $1200 ,the thing was mint with D&D pipe and everything , all it needed was a new rear tire. If if find it again I'll pm ya. The bike was very nice ,but I settled for a SV650S

I would suggest hitting kbb.com to find out what the market is doing with the machine your interested in that way you know if your being jerked around and how bad.

Scott B.
    03 SV1000S

hey, I found a 1995 EX 500 ninja for about 2200 dollars, if your interested pm me. BTW , I'm not selling it , I just found the ad.

My opinion, buy used only from a private sale. Most people see what the dealer will give them for trade and then sell their bike for slightly more (or the same) which ends being still a lot less than the dealer would sell it for, if it were traded in.

You can occasionally find people like FireBallF4i (now known as FireNutzRR) who like to give you the deal of a lifetime. I.E., 2002 F4i for $5500, make it $5000 if ya buy new gear (thank's again Wayne).

Originally posted by Razor
    My opinion, buy used only from a private sale. Most people see what the dealer will give them for trade and then sell their bike for slightly more (or the same) which ends being still a lot less than the dealer would sell it for, if it were traded in.

You can occasionally find people like FireBallF4i (now known as FireNutzRR) who like to give you the deal of a lifetime. I.E., 2002 F4i for $5500, make it $5000 if ya buy new gear (thank's again Wayne).

dang thats quite a deal , if I didn't already buy a SV , I would have bought a F4i ,especially if people are handing them out at those prices

For sure, luckily I saw the ad here and contacted him before the ad ran in any of the papers/want ad and drove up in the dead of winter with a deposit. I was actually planning on going from my FZR to the Honda 600RR (around $8500) but then I saw his ad and thought "I'll save $3000"... and I guarantee there's no nicer F4i..

Just Registered

Originally posted by Razor

DAMN!!! that's the kind of deal i need to find!! i met a kid a few weeks ago who bought an 01 or 02 ducati 996 with low miles for $6500 and the seller threw in a new tank cause the one on the bike had a scratch...i guess the deals are out there, just gotta find them!

Glad your enjoying the bike Sean. Honesty is best. This is how I try to live. It's so much nicer to see positive comments than it is to see negitive ones from pissed off people.

F-Nutz

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Everytime I ride past Parkway Cycle on my way home from work I see all the used bikes outside. They sit there in rain, snow, and below freezing temps. At least a private owner will take a little better care of the bike. And you can usually bargain better with a private owner.

Originally posted by chicharone
    Everytime I ride past Parkway Cycle on my way home from work I see all the used bikes outside. They sit there in rain, snow, and below freezing temps. At least a private owner will take a little better care of the bike. And you can usually bargain better with a private owner.

not to mention the prices suck for the used bikes

They are gonna tell you the bike has been completely checked too. BS! They check liability items only. I see no issue buying a used bike, but you need to inspect and you can get a good feel for how well cared for the bike is by talking to the owner.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

There are great deals out there. I purchased my mint ZRX1200 (retail $7,900) when it was 8 months old, for $5,000. A while ago, we also bought a 1 year old mint 2000 TT600 for $4,000. This bike retails for $8,200+ new!

14" Biceps. So what if I am weak...

I bought only one bike from a dealer, and he wasn't a "real" dealer, and was trying to unload bikes to make room ofr sleds. Other than that, I TRIED to, but just couldn't do it. The depreciation on anew bike is so bad, and I can't wrap my mind about hagglin over shipping and prep. Besieds, look at the trade in value of any bike VS. the dealer price. All that money is going into thier slimy little pockets and, as was mentioned, they don't really "check over" a bike and they certainly don't take care of it while it's in thier care.

'05 DL1000k / '02 DR650se
    04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    '99 ZX-9r (squirl's new ride: RIP)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

Just Registered

Originally posted by needabike
    hey, I found a 1995 EX 500 ninja for about 2200 dollars, if your interested pm me. BTW , I'm not selling it , I just found the ad.
    might be interested...still hung up on the CBR;s though, and not quite ready to buy yet, gotta take the course and work for a little while. I start my new job tomorrow!!!