Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcyclist Crash Course

I can't do this on Saturday, but maybe for those in the Haverhill area who have the time.

Whittier rehab offers motorcycle-crash course next weekend

Whittier rehab offers motorcycle-crash course next weekend
    Joni Quinn

Motorcyclists who want to know what to do at the scene of an accident until help arrives can attend a basic level crash course for motorcyclists at Whittier Rehabilitation Hospital next weekend.
    It will be presented by nationally recognized nonprofit Accident Scene Management Inc. through husband and wife team Gail and David Riley. Gail, the lead instructor, has been a registered nurse for over 30 years and has worked in many areas of health care including intensive care, acute rehabilitation and case management. She is certified as a CPR/ProRescuer/BLS/First Aid Instructor through the American Red Cross and American Heart Association.
    David, the assistant instructor, retired in 2003 after 31 years as an educator in New Hampshire and Massachusetts public schools. He completed a reserve police officer training program, which included certification as a first responder and CPR. Both are avid motorcyclists.
    Gail became involved four years ago after receiving an e-mail about the course.
    摘very motorcyclist should know what to do at a scene of an accident. We have now taught over 500 people in this area alone. It痴 really incredible, Gail said.
    Participants include motorcycle club members and individuals.
    典hose who aren稚 affiliated with any clubs should take advantage of our community programs such as the one at Whittier Rehabilitation Hospital, Gail said. The course is Nov. 3 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at its 76 Summer St. facility.
    The intense, one-day course teaches the importance of PACT: Preventing further injury; Assessing the situation; Contacting the EMS; and Treating the injured person(s) with life-sustaining care.
    添ou壇 be surprised to learn that many accident victims don稚 realize that if there痴 more than one injured person, they need to ask for more than one ambulance, said Gail.
    Motorcyclists enjoy quiet, remote parts of the state, not realizing they often have no cell phone reception, said Gail, adding that she has ridden the Kancamagus Highway where the response time is up to 40 minutes.
    å¾¹ne great way to get help is to delegate if you are with a few people. Itç—´ important to send one person in each direction because you never know how far away the next house or phone is, Gail said.
    The course also offers trauma skills beyond basic first aid, like how to remove a full helmet from the injured person without causing further damage if CPR is needed; how to move the injured if necessary; and what to carry in a trauma pack and where to put it. Each trauma pack should have rubber gloves, antiseptic, gauze, trauma shears, tape and other items.
    典here isn稚 anyone who comes away and says they didn稚 learn anything new. It痴 such a rewarding experience, Gail said.
    The cost is $45 per person and includes class materials. Preregistration is required and class size is limited. A course completion card and patch are awarded at the end of the course.
    An instructor training session will also be held the weekend of Nov. 2 through 4 at Whittier Rehabilitation Hospital.
    For more information or to register, call Gail or David Riley at 978-346-9760.

Copyright ゥ 1999-2006 cnhi, inc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Doc's Crash course (FREE)

1. Remain calm
    2. Call 911 with correct information (where are you?)
    3. DON'T MOVE THE PATIENT! Reassure that help is on the way, stay with them and keep doing that while watching for the ambulance or other idiots who are gonna crash because of rubber necking! Keep the scene safe.
    4. In a calm directive voice, Tell others what to do. Have them Direct Traffic. call a tow truck, the persons family... It gives them something to do and keeps them out of your hair.
    5. Think about what you are gonna tell the ambulance crew when they arrive (Clear concise information)

I should go into business!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I thought it was a course where you could practice crashing!

Paul_E_D

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    haha me too

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

My crash course (also FREE):

1. Repeatedly try to pick up dumped bike while wondering what the fuck your right arm is (or ISN'T) doing. Answer every question from witnesses with "yes I'm fine", regardless of what they are asking you.

2. Continue to be more concerned about the bike being on it's side than the fact that your right arm is totally not listening to your brain.

3. Manage to SOMEHOW lift the bike with a useless right arm (knee underneath is good), wheel it to the gas station adjacent accident scene (a snapped right clip-on can make this balancing act fun).

4. Then (AND ONLY THEN) do you proceed to figure out if YOU are actually hurt: look for blood, unsuccessfully try to get out of jacket with extremely painful shoulder, walk back up driveway to apartment and call wife to come get you.

5. Make sure nobody is still down by the bike so you don't have cops show up and end up with increased premiums. If people are there, wait until they leave.

6. Call tow to get bike moved from gas station to residence. Worry about your bike hoisted on the back of a tow truck like that as you follow it all the way to your garage.

7. Hop online real quick and order EVERYTHING to fix the bike.

8. Take LOTS of Motrin for about a week and a half, without actually visiting a physician.

9. Finally go to doctor, get diagnosed with broken bone(s), get good drugs, get off work for 4 weeks (or so).

10. Go home and sleep it off.

2007 GSX-R600
    1997 ZX-9R (sold)
    1979 RD400F Daytona Special (sold - i know, i know)
    Had at one point or another for off-road: KX125, Four-trax 250R, 250 3wheeler, XR250, XR400

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I was kind of hoping that what it was. It would probably be valuable skills to be able to crash "gracefully". Unlikely I'm sure, but does such a course exist?

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

It's called club racing! I hear you're signed up already. There are some tough lessons to be learned for sure.

Paul_E_D

Sounds like a great course...

In the meantime, we have an excellent document right on this site

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...5-what-do.html

Should be required reading for anyone on a group ride!!!

Dave

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.