Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Deltran introduces new LiFeP04 battery line

Deltran introduces new LiFeP04 battery line

Deltran (of Battery Tender fame) has introduced an LifeP04 battery. No affiliation - just looking for a new batt for the Tiger 1050 at some point.
    http://batterytender.com/products/batteries.html

The guys in the nerdy Advrider battery thread seem to like the EarthX line, which has an internal management system. Just looking into those as well.

Warranty is pro-rated three year: 100% year one, 50% year two, 35% year three. EarthX is two year 100%. Shorai is 100% six months, 75% months 7-12, 50% year two, 25% year three. They've extended the three year warranty to all prior sales.

For want of better measure.
    EarthX ETX18C 230 CCA is $220.
    Deltran 300 CCA is also $220.
    Deltran 230 CCA is $149.
    Shorai 270 CCA is $189.

Not sure if this is introductory pricing: Shorai's intro was not without problems. The early failure rate for a brand like Deka is .3%.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 09-01-13 at 10:31 AM.

Re: Deltran introduces new LiFeP04 battery line

I'm happy to have engineer types around to figure some of this crap out for me. Ima load up the sv electrical system pretty soon with grip warmers and a 12v outlet, and expect at some point to need a new battery.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bring Marshmallows

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'm happy to have engineer types around to figure some of this crap out for me. Ima load up the sv electrical system pretty soon with grip warmers and a 12v outlet, and expect at some point to need a new battery.
    LiFeP04 (often called "Lithium Iron" or "Lithium Iron Phosphate" and technically a type of "Lithium Ion" battery) have even lower rates of internal discharge than AGM batteries, and much longer charge cycle life - some boast over 1,000 cycles versus a few hundred for most SLA batteries. They are also crazy small and light. They have some differences with conventional types, and cost a bunch(3-4x the cheapest SLA batteries) but for track bikes and bikes that live far from help, have those big advantages as well.

They are pretty new to the MC market but they should be showing up OEM soon.

The advantage on a bike like the a tiger is that you can put in a huge reserve without any packaging or weight penalty.

If you do a search of LFP versus SLA or AGM there are all sorts of articles.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-01-13 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The early failure rate for a brand like Deka is .3%.
    I'm not sure where this tidbit fits with the rest. Does Deka make a lithium? Is that the lead acid failure rate? What is the rate for other batteries, and where is the info from? Looking for more info!

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Love there products......

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I'm not sure where this tidbit fits with the rest. Does Deka make a lithium? Is that the lead acid failure rate? What is the rate for other batteries, and where is the info from? Looking for more info!
    It is a factoid from a former Deka QC manager, since they make some of the highest quality conventional batteries. Early failure rate of LFP batteries isn't known to me.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'm an engineer type.. but I could honestly give a shit about batteries. Not something I intend to spend disposable income on. Go-fast toys (and now track days) are way mo' fun.

But, based on my recent experience, I would be more worried about the stator and regulator/rectifier than the battery. Although from what I gather, these R/R's are actually easier on the coils when you run a lot of toys, not a little.

Is the SV rated for that little that grip heaters and an outlet drag it under? That's no biggie on the 'strom.. or so I thought. Although I suppose it depends on what you plug into that outlet. We talking heated PJ's or just the cell phone?

For want of better measure.
    EarthX ETX18C 230 CCA is $220.
    Deltran 300 CCA is also $220.
    Deltran 230 CCA is $149.
    Shorai 270 CCA is $189.
    Holy fake CCA numbers batman!

Yes, there is no industry standard for conversion of SLA CCA to LFP CCA, so they each get to make up their own measure.

Q. I have a 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS and sometimes ride in temps below freezing, with heated grips and jacket. The stock battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S which has 230 CCA and you recommend the ETX18C. Would cold temp riding change this recommendation?

A. Excellent question and based on the additional requirements needed for the battery, the heated grips etc., we do recommend you upgrade to either a ETX24C (270 CCA and 24 ah of reserve or the ETX36C, which has 405 CCA and and 36ah of reserve to run all the extra's and assure no cold start issues). Which one you choose depends on how much extra accessories you will be running and for how long. The more you have and the longer you ride, the larger ah we recommend.
    ETX36C costs $349. For $250 I can lose 6 lbs easier.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-03-13 at 03:47 PM.

Yes, there is no industry standard for conversion of SLA CCA to LFP CCA, so they each get to make up their own measure.
    That's not entirely accurate, CCA is CCA no matter what the battery type is, LFP's just look bad in that test scenario, and rightfully as they do not have the same deep reserve as a lead acid batt. This 'equivilent CCA' BS is an attempt to make spec sheet comparisons easy, but it glosses over a massive difference between the two systems.

That said, I've got a Ballistic in my race bike.

Lifer

"...the longer you ride, the larger ah we recommend."

That doesn't make sense to me. Shorter trips with more starts would seem like the worst case for batteries. Longer rides => more time recharging.

Hmph..

I've heard that Lithium batteries don't like cold weather much, although they have the "cold cranking amps", they need to warm up the electrons a bit to get them moving, so the CCAs aren't there immediately like a lead acid battery

is this fiction or truth ? I'm looking to get 1000+ CCA total in as small space as possible, but I also want it to turn my engine over at -65°F my current plan is 5 lead acid 220CCA batteries wired in parallel to fit in the space I have available for a battery box

what are advantages/disadvantages of lead acid vs AGM vs Lithium ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

What the industry is saying is that you must "Learn a new starting procedure." You introduced a light load first before cranking.

I have a 48V LiFeP04 batter on my ebike. It weighs half what the SLA batteries did, doubled the range, and has already lasted 3X in charge life [number of times it's been charged]. I bought a 36V LiFeP04 battery pack for my son's Razor electric dirt bike but haven't installed it yet.

There is an exhaustive thread on Advrider: good place to ask your question.

The Deltran 480 CCA rated battery weighs 3.75 lbs. So for $600 you could have 960 CCA in a package that weighs 3-5 lbs less than one SLA.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-03-13 at 05:14 PM.

I'm running an 8 cell on my hawk, need to be careful with drainage, if the battery looses too much charge its junk. Not sure of the charging set up but I needed to get an LiFePO4 charger for it as well.

8 cell, total loss on my bike. I bought Ballistic's balance charger to go with it, but after talking with them and noting the amount of 'imbalance' I was seeing between cells just topping off with a Batt Tender Jr, they said I didn't need to bother balance charging. Plan is to balance charge when the bike goes into hibernation, Batt Tender Jr any other time.

If you dig into the AdvR thread that never ends on LiFePo most of the batteries chemistries allow them to self balance if fed decent current/voltage.