Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

In desperate need of EX500 rear sprocket (Found!)

In desperate need of EX500 rear sprocket (Found!)

So here I am doing the final maintenance for a 2-week 2,700 mile bike trip starting Sunday, about to install my shiny new sprockets, when it turns out OldBikeBarn sent me the wrong rear sprocket

The current sprocket is absolutely trashed from the PO, shark-toothed badly and a few teeth are actually chipped, so re-installing it isn't an option. I also don't particularly want to bed in the brand new chain with a chewed up sprocket.

So, anybody know where I might snag a 41-tooth rear for an '03 EX500 this weekend in the Northampton/Western MA area? I'll check my closest dealer (Valley Motorsports) first thing tomorrow, but I want to find as many options as I can in the mean time.

I'd prefer a JT sprocket to match the front, model # I need is a JTR486.41. If anyone has access to check dealer inventory, OEM Kawasaki part is 42041-1354.

Hoping someone has a suggestions or answer

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Terminal; 09-04-10 at 03:53 PM.

Re: In desperate need of EX500 rear sprocket

Miles at Street & Comp may have one, but he's up here at NHMS this weekend. If you absolutely can't find one, you could come up here to pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Miles at Street & Comp may have one, but he's up here at NHMS this weekend. If you absolutely can't find one, you could come up here to pick it up?
    I'm prepared to journey as far as it takes tomorrow. No sprocket = no vacation. No vacation = (wife -> me)

I just ran into Miles. He is almost certain he has one here at the track. Email him at miles@streetandcomp.com with the specifics and your contact info, and he'll give you a call.

A huge preemptive thanks to Mr. Kurtz and Miles at Street & Comp. Miles confirmed via e-mail that he had the sprocket within an hour of me e-mailing him. I checked Valley Motorsports this morning, they don't carry street sprockets because "they're all different"; I hope the rest of their parts selection doesn't go by that motto!

Called Miles to let him know I was going to Plan B, and within an hour he was calling me back to let me know he had someone leaving the track who could meet me down in Hartford. He was even gracious enough to give me the track-side discount rate, despite being anywhere but the track!

So, I eagerly await a phone call to head down I-91 and retrieve a sprocket that 16 hours ago was threatening to scuttle my vacation. Thanks NESR (and Miles & Mr. Kurtz)!

wow, NESR ftw!