Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How difficult is it to register a dirt bike in MA?

Re: How difficult is it to register a dirt bike in MA?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    No, you’re right, it’s almost just like the EXCf. I think the pic just cut off the giant tail.
    what tail did you get?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

They are ODI, not sure about specific model. But googling it that is what they look like. I’ll give it a try, thanks
    I wound up finding a socket that was about the same size as the I.D. of the grip and with an extension sliding it inside the grip, holding the grip and pounding the extension/socket onto my bench to pop the end of the grip off and then did the clean up cutting

Thanks, I did end up knocking the ends out with a socket extension and got the hand guards installed. Not the prettiest, but it’ll do. Next time I’ll see about open ended grips.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    what tail did you get?
    It’s the Taco Moto Co one. Pretty simple and clean. And I got an Enduro plate holder.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

on the closed grip ends, i run the Pro Taper lock-on's and use a step bit to drill the ends out. quick 'n clean.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Alright, my new springs arrived today. I am going to respring this bike over the winter because I am too fat for it. I’ve lost a bunch of weight recently, but it’s still meant for someone smaller than me. A little nervous, I’ve never done any kind of suspension work before, but springs seem pretty straight forward. Getting the shock out looks like it might be a little annoying, but I’ll have all winter to deal with it. With my luck by next spring I will have lost too much weight for the springs I chose, but that’ll be a good problem to have.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Alright, my new springs arrived today. I am going to respring this bike over the winter because I am too fat for it. I’ve lost a bunch of weight recently, but it’s still meant for someone smaller than me. A little nervous, I’ve never done any kind of suspension work before, but springs seem pretty straight forward. Getting the shock out looks like it might be a little annoying, but I’ll have all winter to deal with it. With my luck by next spring I will have lost too much weight for the springs I chose, but that’ll be a good problem to have.
    I changed my springs and it was EXTREMELY easy!

New sprungs for the KTM!

I changed my springs and it was EXTREMELY easy!

New sprungs for the KTM!
    The Husky has a linkage suspension, I hope it’s not too much more difficult to get the shock off.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

The Husky has a linkage suspension, I hope it’s not too much more difficult to get the shock off.
    Well at least I know the fronts will be easy! Definitely break the top nut free while they are in the triple clamps. DO you have the tool or a big socket for the top? Inside needed like a 27MM wrench too.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

The linkage doesn't make it all that difficult, yes the PDS is easier but a linkage doesn't ratchet up the difficulty too much, just a couple of additional bolts here and there.

Well at least I know the fronts will be easy! Definitely break the top nut free while they are in the triple clamps. DO you have the tool or a big socket for the top? Inside needed like a 27MM wrench too.
    I got the 50mm tool, I’ll actually have to check and see if I have a 27. No wait, i do have a 27mm box head, but if I remember it needs to be open… might have to buy one.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

regarding wrenches for fork disassembly, i picked up a set of super thin wrenches a few years back that have been awesome for aiding in cap removal, etc. soooo much easier to slot a thin wrench in tight spots rather than standard thickness with curved/smooth edges.

Last edited by typeone; 11-02-22 at 09:31 AM. Reason: i see WP XPLOR are similar
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    regarding wrenches for fork disassembly, i picked up a set of super thin wrenches a few years back that have been awesome for aiding in cap removal, etc. soooo much easier to slot a thin wrench in tight spots rather than standard thickness with curved/smooth edges.
    Awesome, thanks!

In other news, I ran out of gas in the woods today, lol. Walked half an hour to a gas station, got a ride from a guy at the gas station back to the general vicinity of the bike. Can’t wait for that big new gas tank to get here… The tank was pretty full when I started riding, the fuel light came on surprisingly early, I headed straight for the gas station but didn’t quite make it. Gotta calculate my MPGs on the next tank, it seemed way too fast.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    I've heard people use bicycle wrenches for some of those jobs, as they're designed to be very thin.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I got the 50mm tool, I’ll actually have to check and see if I have a 27. No wait, i do have a 27mm box head, but if I remember it needs to be open… might have to buy one.
    It does have to be open. and as typeone says, thinner the better, but a standard one does work.

It does have to be open. and as typeone says, thinner the better, but a standard one does work.
    yeah, def not a requirement. i've used normal wrenches, and even adjustables, for a long time prior to the thin set.

Beta 200RR

Got the shock spring swapped the other day. Haven’t had a chance to ride it yet, but just sitting on it I can feel a world of difference. I didn’t feel like taking the swing arm off (or, alternatively, the tank, shrouds, and exhaust) to get the shock out, so I just disconnected the linkage, used a tire iron to compress the spring a little so I could release it, and swapped it from the bottom. Pretty easy. Probably going to do the forks tonight, maybe tomorrow night.

I finally got the correct skid plate, got it all assembled, and apparently the suspension has to be compressed quite a bit to get the linkage guard in place, so that’s fun. I’ll have to figure that out later. Not going to make oil changes super easy.

Also got a Seat Concepts seat, I’m too old to spend much time on the stock seat. Again, I haven’t ridden with it yet, but sitting on it in the garage it feels great.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Got the shock spring swapped the other day. Haven’t had a chance to ride it yet, but just sitting on it I can feel a world of difference. I didn’t feel like taking the swing arm off (or, alternatively, the tank, shrouds, and exhaust) to get the shock out, so I just disconnected the linkage, used a tire iron to compress the spring a little so I could release it, and swapped it from the bottom. Pretty easy. Probably going to do the forks tonight, maybe tomorrow night.

I finally got the correct skid plate, got it all assembled, and apparently the suspension has to be compressed quite a bit to get the linkage guard in place, so that’s fun. I’ll have to figure that out later. Not going to make oil changes super easy.

Also got a Seat Concepts seat, I’m too old to spend much time on the stock seat. Again, I haven’t ridden with it yet, but sitting on it in the garage it feels great.
    don't forget you crank up your rebound to make up for those new springs! I had to max mine out to keep from pogoing after landing a jump.

don't forget you crank up your rebound to make up for those new springs! I had to max mine out to keep from pogoing after landing a jump.
    Thanks for the tip! Haven’t changed any of the stock settings yet, other than preload while I was swapping the spring.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Didn’t get to it as soon as I expected, but I got the fork springs swapped today. Pretty easy! Hopeful to get a chance to ride sometime soon to try it out and get everything dialed in. Might get my big fuel tank installed tomorrow if I have time, and I’ll add switched power source for my gps while I’ve got the tank off.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Nice work! Its gonna be a workhorse!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12