Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Difficulty of 600 mile day?

Lifer

Just curious...

My longest day so far has been about 250 miles. But that is just doing backroads.

I am planning to leave home (Nashua) and travel to Halifax, Nova Scotia next monday. My original plan is to do 300 miles each day and break the trip into 2 days.

If I do this, I spend 4 days just getting there and back, leaving me only 2 days to explore, etc.. If it's feasible to do the whole 600+ miles in one day, my vacation gets a lot more interesting.

I was planning on riding up 95 about halfway through Maine and then hopping onto Rt. 1 to ride along the coast for the northern part of Maine.

I have no idea how fast I can move on Rt. 1, whether it is deserted, or there are towns where I'm going to get stuck at stoplights, etc..

I know on the highways I should be able to cruise at 70mph fine all day, which would make me think I could possibly get there in one day.

Any thoughts from people who have done longer trips?

Mapquest guesses 642 miles and 13 hours... which comes out to about 49mph. I don't think I'm good for 13 hours straight, but I'd hopefully be able to make an average speed better than 49mph. My route is shorter than that too, by about 50 miles.

Thanks,
    Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

just be sure to remember that stops for gas/food/excrement/stretching cut into your average speed...

my only long-distance motoring has been in a cage... ~400 miles to PA in 5.5 hours was pretty draining, but that was after a full day's work.
    9 hours to DC was pretty awful.
    delaware and back in 1 day nearly killed me.
    i imagine it only gets worse on a bike... lot more concentration/driver input needed.

-t

[Edited on 5/6/02 by twrayinma]

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Lifer

The thing is a few times already this year I've just gone dinking around on back roads, in traffic, not taking optimal routes, stopping whenever I feel like it, etc..

And when I get home usually what's happened is something like 10 hours has passed, and I've gone about 300 miles.

So I'm kind of thinking if I hop on the bike and get on the highway, drive straight on a planned route, and only stop when I need too, that I'm going to travel that planned 300 mile day fairly quickly. Then I'm dinking around in the middle of nowhere for the rest of the day.

Ben

Lifer

Hmm.. I've planned on about 2/3 slab.

I don't really get in any more pain on the slab than on the backroads. I never get any wrist problems, and my butt starts to hurt faster on back roads if they're bumpy. Mostly fatigue from the wind would be my problem on the highway.

Ben

Lifer

Can you stand up on the pegs?

Really the only thing I have trouble with is my right knee. For some reason holding my foot up off the brake causes my knee on that side to get sore.

Otherwise I can stand on the pegs every once in a while like a dirtbike to get my butt off the seat for a second. It helps a lot.

Ben

Don't forget the fatigue factor... If you're going to crank out that many miles, make sure you take a lot of pit stops to let your eyes/reflexes rest. And don't drink too much coffee.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Ben I did a trip to Nova Scotia 3 years ago, I did from Up-State NY to Nobleboro Maine in the first day a little over 600 miles, the next morning I rode to Bar Harbor and took the ferry across, back then it was $75 for the bike and me. I then rode around the island, I just rode along every road that followed the coast. I did about 300 a day while going around the island,maybe a little more on the second day,, Go up the west side it is supposed to be the most scenic I did the island in 2 1/2 days to make the trip,, some parts there is a lot to see others it is flat and barren.. I came down thru the land bridge and went to the bay of Fundy.. Supposed to be one of the largest change in tide levels in the world,, I wouldn't know the tide was out when I got there.. The rest of the trip was prettyu boring, The trip to Bar Harbor was great, parts of Rt. one are very slow.. I did the coast back until Bar Harbor then cut inland and went thru the state and came thru the white mountains of NH... 300 miles would be a real easy pace for most of the trip, I did 2200 in 4 1/2 days

Lifer

Thanks Plasticweld. That is a big help.

Unfortunately the Ferry's don't start running for another 3 weeks or so.

Bar Harbor is only about 200 miles distance for me, too bad I can't take it, that would make the trip pretty easy.

Ben

Talk to Randy he's done some pretty LOOOOONG road trips on his SV

Personally, I'd try the 600 miles in one shot on the way out there. 'They' always say that the first leg of a m/c trip is where the longest distance is covered the easiest. Hammer it out there the first day, take a FEW days to chill and explore and enjoy, then take a coupla days to get back...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Well, I just did 300 miles yesterday only 125 of that was slab. Left the house at 8am got home around 5pm. with a bunch of stops, probably totaling a bit over 2 hours.

I would do the majority of th emilage in the first day like stoner said. that would be when you are the freshest.

perhaps start out on the highway, then do back roads then do highway to make up some time, then do back roads again to break the boredum.
    thats what the wife and I did up to camp meade last year.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

I've done sorta the same trip as you. I went from Concord, NH to Prince Edward Island. The mileage at the end of the day was a hair over 650, not too bad a ride. My route was up 95 and over to the Airline Route, Route 9. Much better than Rt 1 which I've found to be very congested and frustrating when you know you have so many more miles to go. Once into Calais, I honestly can't remember the route, but I think its a little different than going to PEI. Good luck with the trip, its a beautiful ride!