Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dirt bike questions

Dirt bike questions

Ok, I really think I want to get a dirtbike fefore next summer, but I don't really know anything at all about them. I love mountain biking and I love riding the GSXR, so I figure dirtbiking is right up my alley. Anybody want to kind of steer me in the right direction? All I really want is a cheap durable not-too-powerful bike that I can play around with... So, where's the best place to start lookiing for these things? Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Dirt bike questions

What type of riding do you plan on doing? MX tracks, sand pit/dunes, trails?
    There are many bikes to choose from depending on what type of riding you plan on doing.

There's a 2002 yamaha WR250 sitting in CryBaby's toy shack looking for a new home

Yamaha

Dirt bike questions

uh, I dunno, I guess trail riding and general messing around, whatever's available in the eastern MA area...

Dirt bike questions

I just got into dirt bikes this past season, I too had been into MT.bikes and love the street bike, so the switch to the dirt bike was easy to me, I actually picked it up rather quickly. I have a wr250 (yamaha) i love the bike, its a four stroke and is great in the woods. But they are not cheap.
    Not only do you need to figure out what style of riding you are doing, but how big are you? that will also affect the bike you get.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Dirt bike questions

I'm not very big, 5'8/160lbs... so I'm not looking for anything bigger than maybe a 200, I was thinking about a 125, but do you think it would be enough power to keep me interested for a while? I really don't know how powerful these things are, or how big you need to go to have a good time... as I said though, what I really want is cheap and hard to break... thanks

Dirt bike questions

...check out the "uncle henry`s" classifieds....we have them here in NH.....most of the adds are in maine,but some in NH and Vt also....last summer my son was looking for a yz125...we found one in his price range,,,but it took a while...make sure the bike is adult ownwd if possible...lots of teenage twits out there that would have u drive 100`s of miles and not be there when u show up...also make sure the bike is professionally maintained ,ask questions cause many people will dish out inaccurate info, and bullshit u if they "think" they can get away with it....good luck....

Dirt bike questions

I too want to get (Back) into dirt. However I want a 4-cycle. And more CC's. I still hear horror stories of top ends going away on the smaller stuff. At 225, I'd be better off on a bigger ride anyway. Being out of it for a while, and not keeping up on some newer models....any recommendations. Nearly bought a brand new XR650R in San Diego for $5500 with Baja designs setup for the street conversion. Dont know how it would fair in eastern trails.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000