Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Dirt Bikes Seized by Boston Police

Banned

Re: Dirt Bikes Seized by Boston Police

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    I hate those guys riding on the streets and making it dangerous or stressful for all around them. My probably stupid solution is some sort of netting you could put at cross streets to stop everyone. Pull the netting tight and everyone is penned in. Yes, probably some crazy batman type of solution. That said I do feel rear ending a two wheeled vehicle is about as bad of a decision as it gets. And the sidewalk comment, was stupid. Just say please step back. Supposedly the kid has some NESC MX experience. Reopen the RI desert might help, but I don't think it will stop all of this as some just want to raise hell on the streets. I'm just on both ends of a mental see saw right now saying you play like this you get hurt, and WTF did you just do hitting that kid. No answer just random observations and venting!
    I agree that there should be some kind of facility for inner city kids to do their dirt riding, but at the same time many of these bikes are stolen and many of them are bought with drug money. It's catch-22. I'm not assuming the cop hit him deliberately. It could well have been an accident. What's the protocol with chasing motorcycles? The trouble is that these idiots think that they can do what they like because the police cant chase them. Honestly, if the kid is paralyzed, so be it. Maybe one or two of the others will think again about terrorising the streets like this.

I did some pretty stupid things on bikes when I was a kid but I didn't terrorize the streets and endanger the public by doing the shit these kids do.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

If they'd been chasing him around the block for a little while, it's possible they boiled the brake fluid or had pad fade. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he bumped him. I'm usually not a fan of vehicle chases or full-contact tactics, but I think there can be a time and a place to warrant it.

nedirtriders.com

From talking to officers, including some command-staff dudes, they get more complaints about these groups than just about anything. Mostly they rely on tips about where the bikes are stored, so they can get them off the street without having to resort to chases. They get a lot of tips about those locations because the residents don't like them, and, it turns out, many are from outside Boston.

I buy propane at this UHaul, and they still talk about the three chowderheads who rode their bikes right back to the storage facility.

"Three Massachusetts men are facing charges after police in Boston say they were recklessly driving dirt bikes in the city's Roxbury neighborhood Thursday.

Jason Martinez, 24, Giovanny Martinez, 23, Najja Joseph, 24, all of Roxbury, were taken into custody and charged with disorderly conduct, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and operating after license suspended/revoked. All three men will also be issued citations.

Authorities said police had received several 911 calls that the men had been driving recklessly. After spotting them committing several driving infractions, they were followed to a U-Haul facility in the area of Rusfield Street and Massachusetts Avenue at about 6:30 p.m. where police said they were unsuccessful at stopping the men."

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...roxbury/44915/

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    From talking to officers, including some command-staff dudes, they get more complaints about these groups than just about anything. Mostly they rely on tips about where the bikes are stored, so they can get them off the street without having to resort to chases. They get a lot of tips about those locations because the residents don't like them, and, it turns out, many are from outside Boston.

I buy propane at this UHaul, and they still talk about the three chowderheads who rode their bikes right back to the storage facility.

"Three Massachusetts men are facing charges after police in Boston say they were recklessly driving dirt bikes in the city's Roxbury neighborhood Thursday.

Jason Martinez, 24, Giovanny Martinez, 23, Najja Joseph, 24, all of Roxbury, were taken into custody and charged with disorderly conduct, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and operating after license suspended/revoked. All three men will also be issued citations.

Authorities said police had received several 911 calls that the men had been driving recklessly. After spotting them committing several driving infractions, they were followed to a U-Haul facility in the area of Rusfield Street and Massachusetts Avenue at about 6:30 p.m. where police said they were unsuccessful at stopping the men."

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...roxbury/44915/
    My brother lives on Hyde Park Ave. In Roslindale. I saw him yesterday afternoon and there were probably 4 or 5 in an hour. He says it's every night and almost all night on every weekend night.

Yikes!

Banned

Heading home on 138 in Taunton this evening and 6 small dirtbikes with no lights go through the red light at the intersection im at in the center of town. No lights, no plates, through a red light. I would have laughed if a semi took out all 6 of them.

Banned

So it was on providence news tonight. The group is called 401 bikelife (or lyfe probably). I could not believe their spokesman was trying to justify the ride as being a community activism thing aimed at unity. Fucking idiot.

The the kid who got hit's dad was quoted all crying because the police went after his son and not others. I guess he's pretty seriously hurt, but will recover. Don't care.

Sorry, cant seem to steal just the gif, so heres the reddit link. Relevant to the thread lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/WinStupidPr...from_the_cops/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

That’s impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    So it was on providence news tonight. The group is called 401 bikelife (or lyfe probably). I could not believe their spokesman was trying to justify the ride as being a community activism thing aimed at unity. Fucking idiot.

The the kid who got hit's dad was quoted all crying because the police went after his son and not others. I guess he's pretty seriously hurt, but will recover. Don't care.
    Cultural relativism. This judgement is teetering very close to racism Degs. Your brand of illegal riding was fine, but theirs isn't. What is the glaring difference between us riding illegally as kids and running from the cops, and these guys? race.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Cultural relativism. This judgement is teetering very close to racism Degs. Your brand of illegal riding was fine, but theirs isn't. What is the glaring difference between us riding illegally as kids and running from the cops, and these guys? race.
    Unless you've got info I don't, isn't it kind of a BIG assumption that Degsy both rode unlicensed on a stolen bike and ran from the cops? Worst I've done in my life is speed, never ran.

In my mind it has more to do with those guys go out and fuck with people for fun. It sucks when you get stuck behind a bunch of them, no one can get by and you're trying to make money.

Then there's the whole stolen bike aspect of it.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

wow, just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Sorry, cant seem to steal just the gif, so heres the reddit link. Relevant to the thread lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/WinStupidPr...from_the_cops/
    In slow-mo, that looked like a chic that he tackled too...

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    In slow-mo, that looked like a chic that he tackled too...
    Hey man, equal rights

equal lefts too

Lifer

Racism seems like a bit of a jump here, but I think you've got the underlying point right that a lot of people apply a double standard to this. The tales from when they were young is a fun story around the BBQ, but what those kids are doing now somehow warrants a death sentence. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about anyone specific.

That said, I do think there's a nuanced line between hooning around and intentionally getting in people's way. I don't get why people care sooooo much about a guy doing some side show tricks. Blocking intersections with traffic on the other hand, now I see why people hate you.

nedirtriders.com

I see Paul's point. I'd didn't grow up in an urban environment. I can draw a parallel between me running from cops/EPA on my dirtbike on power lines and doing so on city streets.

The stolen bikes thing is a different, but I can also see how one could be influenced to steal. Does not make it right. Just saying I understand the peer pressure of friends having cool shit and me not having it. I got my first 4 wheeler when I was 14 after years of my friends all having them, begging, pleading, and being influenced by my parents to get good grades to earn one. Take away good parental instruction and add in a surrounding where stealing is more normalized and maybe I would have stolen one. I don't know.

Interacting with Degsy on this forum for some time now, I know his intent is not racist, and that actually does mean a lot.

That is my interpretation of Paul's comment.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 10-20-20 at 10:59 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Racism seems like a bit of a jump here, but I think you've got the underlying point right that a lot of people apply a double standard to this. The tales from when they were young is a fun story around the BBQ, but what those kids are doing now somehow warrants a death sentence. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about anyone specific.

That said, I do think there's a nuanced line between hooning around and intentionally getting in people's way. I don't get why people care sooooo much about a guy doing some side show tricks. Blocking intersections with traffic on the other hand, now I see why people hate you.
    That's why I said it's teetering on the edge. There is undoubtedly a racial component to this "problem". Just something to think about. I ran from the cops on dirtbikes, I rode sportbikes in large groups at speeds that endangered the public. I know most of us here have done these things. I don't agree with any of those behaviors anymore, nor do I think the current urban mx thing is cool, but I can't really sit in judgement.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Lifer

That's why I said it's teetering on the edge. There is undoubtedly a racial component to this "problem". Just something to think about. I ran from the cops on dirtbikes, I rode sportbikes in large groups at speeds that endangered the public. I know most of us here have done these things. I don't agree with any of those behaviors anymore, nor do I think the current urban mx thing is cool, but I can't really sit in judgement.
    You did a pretty good job of sitting in judgement of Degsy, "teetering on the edge" was lame sauce to provide you with minimal cover.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    You did a pretty good job of sitting in judgement of Degsy, "teetering on the edge" was lame sauce to provide you with minimal cover.
    I'm friends with Degs. I'm sorry that comment came out that way. It does look a bit judgy in retrospect.

I do think that this topic is very racially charged and I was more trying to point out how cultural relativism could be at work in our thinking about it. I believe we are all teetering on the same edge when we bash on all these guys. I include myself there.

Paul_E_D

Banned

I'm friends with Degs. I'm sorry that comment came out that way. It does look a bit judgy in retrospect.

I do think that this topic is very racially charged and I was more trying to point out how cultural relativism could be at work in our thinking about it. I believe we are all teetering on the same edge when we bash on all these guys. I include myself there.
    I get your point, Paul. I'm not sure there's a racial edge to these "rides". I'm pretty sure the members are across the board from the videos I have seen. The fools who ride dirtbikes illegally around Taunton are definitely a 50/50 mix.

I do draw a distinction between what we did and what these guys do. We rode out to the sticks to the good roads. Yep, I rode 130+ in the white mountains and out in VT on 100 and 146, for sure. One thing we were always careful to do though, was keep it down in the towns (because of cops and plain old civility). These kids take both sides of the road, constantly wheelie (what is with that shit? Does it ever get boring?) and are not insured. They ride on the sidewalk and the wrong way up one way streets. As far as endangering the public, I think what we did was far different from what these kids are doing.

P.S I never ran from the cops. I think I only ever got 2 tickets on a bike and they were pretty boring. One was on the cape when 12 of us got tickets because 2 guys wheelied up route 6 and the other was on rt 128 near Boston for 80 in a 55.

Lifer

That Western Mass air is pretty thin and the surrounding diversity make it for opining at a distance from the scene of the events. If you're living in the midst of this, it might change your outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    That Western Mass air is pretty thin and the surrounding diversity make it for opining at a distance from the scene of the events. If you're living in the midst of this, it might change your outlook.
    I definitely don't live with it day in and day out, but I have been around it. Springfield and Holyoke have these issues and it actually spreads to some of my tolerated dirt riding areas. My family in Baltimore have the issue in their city. I don't have any answers. Only questions.

Paul_E_D

I wish I had the answer. On way hand I say if there was a legal place to ride that would help, but would many of these riders go there, or do they like to display their riding on the street? The individual in the hospital rides in the NESC B class and seems to be really into it based on some pics, but there he was in this situation, when there was an NESC race in Connecticut that same day. I hate these guys riding on the street. I also hate that he was possibly hit, and either way is in the hospital now. I've watched the video a few times and cant tell definitively if he was hit by the PD, hit the wall, or hit the wall and then hit by the PD. The way he flew forward makes me think he was rear ended. I do think it was a reckless move to pull him on the ground way from the scooter, but the whole ride was reckless. When I was young we rode the trails and occasionally rode across some streets to get from trail to trail or field to field. If the PD came we turned and went back into the woods. Tonight there is a rally for him where the crash occurred. I hope both sides are peaceful. Not much to add by me just venting and wishing I had the solution.

2013 ZX6R-636

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Tonight there is a rally for him where the crash occurred. I hope both sides are peaceful.
    Not a chance. It will be carnage. Until they start pulling licenses for 5 years and jailing these people, they will just continue. It's herd mentality. It would only take a couple of very stiff punishments to end it all once the pussies drop out. Most of these people are followers.