Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dirty Commuter

Dirty Commuter

I'm looking to get a new ride for my commute from Cottonwood Heights up to Park City, UT. In the summer time Guardsman's pass opens up and gives me a straight shot through big cottonwood canyon right up over the back side of park city. Will most likely use the same amount of time and gas as taking the highway, but will be having much more fun. Guardsman's is not paved, and thus my search for a dirty commuter. I don't want a full on dirt bike.. i would prefer more of a tard.. I am on a budget but since i've never looked for these bikes before, i'm pretty darn lost. I think i would like fuel injection and something over 400cc. What do you guys suggest? I already have my monster and my 999, so i'm definitely looking for something more offroadish... thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Dirty Commuter

Ktm lc4. 620 or 640 adventure. From 00 to 08 I thing they're all the same. Mine was the only street legal machine I had for a while and I went absolutely everywhere with it, and rode it like a real dirtbike.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lol i thought the thread title was dirty computer....i was like how the hell do you know??

Mike, you don't say how long the commute is. Also, does any of it involve highway?

My advice would be to go with one of the 600-class dual sports. The KTM suggestion's a good one, though the 640s and earlier have a reputation as serious paint shakers. Also, they're a bit higher maintenance than the other bikes in the class, including the KTM 690 Enduro.

A Husqvarna TE610 would be an excellent choice too. Or a BMW G650 Xchallenge. Or if you don't mind a little less power, a Suzuki DR650 or Honda XR650L.

I'd avoid going with something configured as a motard because given the kind of riding you're talking about doing, you're going to want to run semi-knobby tires at least, and there's a whole lot more options in the standard 21"/18" enduro sizes than in sporty motard sizes.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

The high maintenance thing makes me giggle. An oil change on an lc4 takes longer than a valve adjustment.
    And it's got pretty much the same schedule as the te610.
    The xrl would be my next choice after that.

(really the 690 is my first choice in this matter, I didn't suggest it because they're fairly pricey)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

New-ish KLR 650? Not a rocket, and somewhat heavy, but it'll handle most things.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I know that road, took a rental Hyundai on it a few years ago. It was very weird to be in a Hyundai looking downhill at the top of a Park City chairlift.

Duh... Hyper.

But I guess if you want some offroad I vote the same as chip for the ktm.

Most other dirtbikes that are converted wont hold up to highway use over time.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto