Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Long distance ride advice

So I am seriously considering riding a Ducati ST4s back from Little Rock Arkansas. A trip of about 1500 miles. I figure it would take me about 3-4 days (via the Mapquest map) Longer if I wimp out and go "site seeing".

I would start the trip on the 30th of September and get back in Vermont in time to pack up and get down to the races on the 6th/7th. :shock

Any advice here guys?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Any advice here guys?
    long distance relationships never work

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Going siteseeing isnt wimping out...slabbing it home is!!!

Not sure what sort of advice you are looking for. If this is helpful this link will bring up my Touring Packing Check List. Not suggesting that everything on here makes sense for you but as a review it might be useful. If you are going alone its a good idea to leave your route with someone and then stick with it as close as possible. Also, check in each evening with someone at home.

I have done long distance rides alone and tend to ride like hell, never stop, and beat the shit out of myself. But, I like that sometimes!

If what you are looking for is Routes I have no experience south of PA but there is some nice riding in PA, Western NJ and NY State along the Hudson.

Have a great ride...

Dave

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

Extra Pair of Gloves...
    Make sure your rain gear is up to snuff including boot covers if your boots are not totally waterproof
    Heated jacket/vest strongly recommended (pick something you can install on the bike on the side of the road)
    Make sure to take some tools & chain lube
    Supplies to clean your visor on the road

A trip that length can get very bad if the weather turns and even down south at this time of year you could easily get cold weather, especially if you cross mountains.

On a short ride in a given temperature you might not need heated clothes, etc.. but on a 1500 mile ride you will just given the amount of time you're exposing yourself to the weather.

If you're prepared it sounds awesome.. I've heard Arkansas described as "One Giant National Park", the riding is supposed to be amazing.

Thanks for the advice guys...

A quick look at craigslist brought up a few that are closer so I may not have to do this after all.

A red 2003 ST3 with 6300 miles, looks stock asking $8250

and a YELLOW ST4s with 13k Ferraci pipes, Sargent seat asking $8000.

The one in Arkansas has a corbin seat and the guy wants $8500

I don't want a yellow one but I am leaning towards that one...

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Littering and........

Dont buy a Ducati?

Seriously, I wouldn't try to pack that ride into a certain timeframe. Make sure you have lots of time to get home, so you dont feel rushed and have time to enjoy yourself. If you are in a big yank to get home and get to the track, you might find yourself getting stressed out when you should be enjoying yourself.

On the few long trips I have done, I always pack as lightly as possible. I stay in hotels, eat at retaurants, and bring only clothes, gear and money. You can save a few bucks camping and whatnot, but I've never found it to be worth the extra bulk and loading and unloading.