Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

DiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!

Re: DiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Carbon fiber covers on a race bike? This is going to be hilarious.
    I'm guessing you'll think my bike is comedy gold then...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Im sure you had and still have some stupid useless shit on your bike too.

James

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold 9930)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Shame on her for wanting to protect the frame of a very expensive race bike... The nerve of some people

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Im sure you had and still have some stupid useless shit on your bike too.
    Only thing you'd consider useless or stupid are the pre-drilled stainless bolts for the front end. I know better than to waste my money on overpriced crap like that for a bike that will see pavement. But you're right, maybe people do that mistake their 1st year & realize what to do for next time.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Only thing you'd consider useless or stupid are the pre-drilled stainless bolts for the front end. I know better than to waste my money on overpriced crap like that for a bike that will see pavement. But you're right, maybe people do that mistake their 1st year & realize what to do for next time.
    I see your SS bolts and raise you some Ti

These pics are really bad but they must do until I can pull her outside

DiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!-wp_001634-jpgDiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!-wp_001635-jpgDiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!-wp_001630-jpgDiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!-wp_001628-jpgDiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!-wp_001627-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

Re: These pics are really bad but they must do until I can pull her outside

Oooooooohh... dat tank.

can't believe you're gonna race with that tank

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    can't believe you're gonna race with that tank
    I am after all, intrinsically crazy.

Last edited by DZircher; 02-08-13 at 10:23 PM.
    -dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

A couple more

DiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!-wp_001646-jpg
    DiZ is getting paint from Landrics Customs!!-wp_001647-jpg

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

That looks great!

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    That looks great!
    Thank you! I know folks think I'm a tad nuts because I've invested so much time and money into this project but I'd like to take a moment to explain my position a tad.

I work really hard in a field that is largely vapor-ware. The results of thousands of hours of work are generally measured merely in stats trending correctly. Success really means keeping ahead of constant growth and prevent exploits before they are discovered. I love my job but sometimes I want build something I can touch and feel.

It was time for a hobby and I tried quite a few things over the last couple of years. Meh...

This last year and a half has been the birth of a new passion for me and it's touching so many of my desires (that's not meant to be too dirty boys) I'm studying good riding techniques, learning about the geometry of these bikes, teaching myself how to service and repair. Wrenching as I've learned. I'm putting all sorts of telemetry info into the bike and I'll do a ton of analytical review after I ride.

I've been able to design what my track machine is going to look like and yes, it might wind up getting banged and bumped up and maybe smashed. You know what, I'll really enjoy building her back up and making hard decision about what to repair and what to replace.

I'm meeting new and really interesting people who share a common passion with me and best of all, they're not in my work circles.

Maybe another important thing to note that has happened here is I've found my first sport to follow! Ever! I've been following MotoGP, Moto2, etc. and all of a sudden I'm talking to my rider friends in a fashion similar to how others talk about football and stuff. I feel really connected to all of you and that's really wonderful.

This hobby is really grounding me. And in many ways it's setting me free!

I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone in the spring and learning from you. I'm also looking forward to making new friendships.

-Diz

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

spend all the money you want on it and don't worry about people giving you crap about it. no one is really trying to be mean. I spent a bunch of money having Rich paint my bike a couple years ago and put it down the very first day and a few times after. this year I'm spending a ton of money upgrading other parts of the bike and people still give me shit. I don't care, I like doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    spend all the money you want on it and don't worry about people giving you crap about it. no one is really trying to be mean. I spent a bunch of money having Rich paint my bike a couple years ago and put it down the very first day and a few times after. this year I'm spending a ton of money upgrading other parts of the bike and people still give me shit. I don't care, I like doing it.
    Told you

James

The bike looks awesome Diz.

Do what makes you happy .

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    Thank you! I know folks think I'm a tad nuts because I've invested so much time and money into this project but I'd like to take a moment to explain my position a tad.

I work really hard in a field that is largely vapor-ware. The results of thousands of hours of work are generally measured merely in stats trending correctly. Success really means keeping ahead of constant growth and prevent exploits before they are discovered. I love my job but sometimes I want build something I can touch and feel.

It was time for a hobby and I tried quite a few things over the last couple of years. Meh...

This last year and a half has been the birth of a new passion for me and it's touching so many of my desires (that's not meant to be too dirty boys) I'm studying good riding techniques, learning about the geometry of these bikes, teaching myself how to service and repair. Wrenching as I've learned. I'm putting all sorts of telemetry info into the bike and I'll do a ton of analytical review after I ride.

I've been able to design what my track machine is going to look like and yes, it might wind up getting banged and bumped up and maybe smashed. You know what, I'll really enjoy building her back up and making hard decision about what to repair and what to replace.

I'm meeting new and really interesting people who share a common passion with me and best of all, they're not in my work circles.

Maybe another important thing to note that has happened here is I've found my first sport to follow! Ever! I've been following MotoGP, Moto2, etc. and all of a sudden I'm talking to my rider friends in a fashion similar to how others talk about football and stuff. I feel really connected to all of you and that's really wonderful.

This hobby is really grounding me. And in many ways it's setting me free!

I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone in the spring and learning from you. I'm also looking forward to making new friendships.

-Diz
    You know what the neat thing is? You really don't have to explain. Somewhere inside we all know exactly why you do what you do. That's what makes this sport great.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Told you
    I didn't listen the first time or the second or third

I'm really looking forward to seeing you and this bike at the track! Your passion clearly shows in what you do and say. Laugh at the naysayers, they're jealous.

Just don't let Noel near that tank.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I do have a question. You put a ton of money into making the bike look good. Have you put anything into making it handle good?

James

Posting Freak

Looks great. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

Last edited by Ryno; 02-16-13 at 06:00 PM.

I do have a question. You put a ton of money into making the bike look good. Have you put anything into making it handle good?
    Great question and one I'm certain that I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of. Here's what I've done so far and I'm uncertain exactly what the results will be until I actually get a chance to ride her again. For some, I may have approached things incorrectly.

I changed the rear set and went with fixed position foot pegs. I got Woodcrafts, I love the knurl and the grip on my boots. I've spent some time with the bike on the stands playing with the positions and practicing shifting my body from side to side with minimal pressure on the bars. I've moved them back and up just a tad which seems to help me stay closer to the rear of the seat.

In and along these lines I removed the stock Ducati power shifter switch and went with a solid shift linkage for now. I did this because I'm not really experienced enough yet to be full-on throttle up shifting and also the stock shift linkage feels a little sloppy under my toe. I also made the switch to GP style shift, I've always thought that it made more sense than standard. The stock power shift linkage offered less positive travel and although I could have gotten used to that, I felt it better to simplify and get more confident in developing smooth shift / clutch practices. Time will tell but just finding neutral is much more predicable without that little bit of slop.

I changed the brake pads to Galfers HH ceramics, I've no idea how this will work out yet but I read a couple of articles from riders (some I'm sure have Galfer contingencies) about these pads having very progressive grabbing action and being more resistant to transferring heat to the calipers because of the coatings on the metal plates. I'm not a super fast rider yet but I'm making good strides towards braking later and harder as I'm learning my lines and marks (Loudon) My guess is I'll be pretty slow out there and I'll focus on working towards getting smoother.

I added an adjustable height linkage on the rear and I've lowered the bike slightly (12 mm) although this was more of getting the height better for me than for suspension travel considerations. Before I take the bike out for practice I want to getting fully suited up and get the SAG adjusted. I'd love to know who you folks think the best place to take her is.

I have not played with anything in the front yet. I feel like I've made so many variable changes in other areas of the bike at this point that I'll need to start keeping a practice notebook. Because I don't really have a strong vocabulary yet for describing the deltas after changes I'll probably settle for noting the change and recording the old optometrist notions of 'Better or Worse' That definately has its limitations but hopfully both will improve.

I also plan to keep going to Penguin and asking stupid questions and watching you guys. I really could use a mentor too!

-dana

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

On the suspension, find a suspension shop to talk to on getting baseline geometry numbers. I want to say Ducs prefer having the back jacked up taller? The rear linkage lenght / rear ride height can really alter how the bike behaves so getting that closer to right to start may help a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    I added an adjustable height linkage on the rear and I've lowered the bike slightly (12 mm) although this was more of getting the height better for me than for suspension travel considerations. Before I take the bike out for practice I want to getting fully suited up and get the SAG adjusted. I'd love to know who you folks think the best place to take her is.

I have not played with anything in the front yet. I feel like I've made so many variable changes in other areas of the bike at this point that I'll need to start keeping a practice notebook. Because I don't really have a strong vocabulary yet for describing the deltas after changes I'll probably settle for noting the change and recording the old optometrist notions of 'Better or Worse' That definately has its limitations but hopfully both will improve.

I also plan to keep going to Penguin and asking stupid questions and watching you guys. I really could use a mentor too!

-dana
    Guess we will be seeing you sooner or later. Im trying to figure out where to start without sounding like an ass because that is not my intention. I just tend tell it how I see things so it can sound a bit harsh but its not intentional.

Changing the ride heights randomly doesnt usually work out for anyone especially those that have little to no experience. If Im interpreting your adjustment right its going to slow down how your bike transitions back and forth. It will probably feel heavier in the corners. If I recall correctly (I dont ride an 848) the adjustment in the rear we make to customer bikes is to increase the rear ride height. It will make it more difficult to touch with your feet if your short like me. I havent had a bike I can flat foot ever. I can usually just touch with my toes. You only need to have your feet down for the start. No point in beating yourself up for 8 laps to be able to tough easily at the start.

When youre ready to do suspension work and geometry setup we are the guys to come to.

Get yourself a note book and write down where you are and then all the changes you make along the way. That way you wont be guessing about what you have done.

James

definitely listen to what James said. get the suspension set up ahead of time, it saves you money in the long run. if you can swing getting the front forks worked then do it and get the back sprung for your weight also. everything you have done to the bike so far will mean nothing if its not behaving properly to start with. you can somewhat get away with bad suspension settings when you're slow but as you get faster they tend to bite you and really can make getting faster a lot harder on you. other than that it looks like you've got the bike pretty well set up to get your racing career started, other than them blue zip ties

and with anything that James or Peter Kates from GMD say they don't mean to hurt your feelings, they can both just be really blunt about things.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast