Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter gloves?

Winter gloves?

So after a lifetime of winter riding I am once again in search of winter gloves.

I have my eye on the cortech scarab gloves. They are around $95 and I read some positive reviews on them.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with WARM winter gloves ridden in COLD conditions?

Please don't suggest heated grips or electric gloves. I have electric gloves but on short jaunts they run down the batter too much and are cumbersome. When your streetbike has to sit outside the who workday in single digit temps, you cant afford less juice to try to restart.

So there it is.. Anyone who can help will be appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Winter gloves?

I use a pair of Scott snowmobile gloves: that's what Motomart sold. Their least expensive models don't have insulation in the palm, so it's easy to grip the bars. They're not armored but are plenty warm. But Scott seems to have discontinued snowmobile gloves.

I have some A* Drystar gloves, about the same price as the Cortechs. Very comfortable liners. I can't vouch for how well they work in the cold because I have heated grips, but these are not summer gloves, that's for sure. They're a bit bulkier than lightweight gloves, but not like Widders or snowmobile gloves. They should be OK to cool temps, especially for short trips. Glove liners would add a few degrees when needed. I have no idea if they're better or worse than the Scarabs. Sizing seems random. My wife wears medium size gloves, and she needed to exchange hers for a small pair. I wear XL and should have bought these in XXL.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    don't have insulation in the palm, so it's easy to grip the bars.
    a good winter motorcycle glove will not have insulation in the palm so that heat from heated grips actually gets to your hands

I have a pair of Reima winter gloves that are very similar to the Scotts. I believe that the Scotts are actually made by Reima, cause when you do a search this is what comes up (bought mine at MM as well)
    https://www.denniskirk.com/reima-mot...3407040XXL.sku

mine look identical, bur where is sez "Scott", mine say "Reima"

Last edited by RandyO; 01-12-16 at 08:03 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I have a set of those scott snowmobile gloves that I used to ride with. I think they are size S or M. I'd sell em to you for $30. They are in mint condition. I never use them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

I have the cortech scarabs. (well, I have a cortech scarab - I lost one of them on the highway Friday night since I forgot to lock my saddlebag)
    They're pretty warm, but a little bulkier than normal leather gloves, decent amount of protection. They're also waterproof. I think I paid around 60ish for them since I got them secondhand.
    I also have a pair of firstgear carbon heated gloves, they're also very warm even without the heat on - got them for around $100 secondhand.

Thanks for the replies. So the scott/reima gloves don't exist anymore? And I don't think they would be good if they have no palm insulation.

And CEO thanks but I cant see me fitting those since my normal size xl to 2xl depending on brand.

The search goes on......

I need these new gloves for days below 25*F.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Thanks for the replies. So the scott/reima gloves don't exist anymore? And I don't think they would be good if they have no palm insulation.
    Go try them, doubt you could grip bars comfortably otherwise. There are many other brands available. The reason people buy snowmobile gloves is they are usually less than $100 while many winter motorcycle gloves are over $200. Revzilla has both.

You don't have heated grips?

Last edited by Garandman; 01-13-16 at 05:57 AM.

When needed, I wear my old HJC snowmobile gloves. They are a little bulky, but manageable for sure. Going with a snowmobile glove might be worth considering.

They really don't have the protection that moto gloves provide, but I figure with all the extra padding, to me it's not much of a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    When needed, I wear my old HJC snowmobile gloves. They are a little bulky, but manageable for sure. Going with a snowmobile glove might be worth considering.

They really don't have the protection that moto gloves provide, but I figure with all the extra padding, to me it's not much of a worry.
    in winter protection from freezing is more important than crash protection, the threat of frostbite is immediate and continuous

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

My hands get very cold easily - I have poor circulation. Under 25 degrees, I think you need electric heated gloves or at least grips. My best so far non heated gloves were the Held Feezer gloves. They are leather, primaloft insulation and goretex. Not racing gloves, but warm and dedicated motorcycle gloves.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I THOUGHT I was going to get some Klim fusions. But after reading a lot of reviews, their quality is in question.

Also tricky that some gloves use thinsulate, some other mediums. Still looking.

This have been buying Reusch gloves my entire life.

They are expensive but warm.

http://www.reusch.com/winter.html

TIMMYDUCK

I'm thinking my next pair will be 3 finger gloves

RandyO
    IBA#9560

rrrright down by da beach island boyeee's Avatar

I've been considering what gloves to get for ice riding, was hoping to find an answer to the non-heated dilemma in here. Looks like I may be just as well off using my snowboarding gloves... at least I get to make use of the wrist support.

08 Triumph Daytona 675, Jet Black w/ Gold
    dirty bike: 2015 KTM 250 XC-F

[QUOTE=RandyO;1444065]I'm thinking my next pair will be 3 finger gloves
    Outdoor Research Highcamp 3-Finger Insulated Gloves - Men's - REI.com
    3 Fingers work. Used them yesterday in the 20's but i am reluctant to recommend these ones due to liner pulling out when removing them.Winter gloves?-img_0735-1-jpg
    Pic. from yesterday

Last edited by Kawi Ken; 01-18-16 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi Ken View Post
    Outdoor Research Highcamp 3-Finger Insulated Gloves - Men's - REI.com
    3 Fingers work. Used them yesterday in the 20's but i am reluctant to recommend these ones due to liner pulling out when removing them.
    that can happen to any winter glove if ya don't pull them off by firmly grabbing the tips

Last edited by RandyO; 01-18-16 at 05:03 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I have a pair of Weiss. They do alright in cold, but not today's cold. The one thing I found helped the best in cold weather riding was had guards to keep the wind off your hands. Even with heated grips my palms were sweaty and knuckles about frozen. Adding the air deflection made a world of different.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Motorcycle Mitts are an option also.-
    motorcycle mitts | eBay

I bought a pair from Cal Sci and paid too much w/shipping. They are tight around switch gear but might work better on different bikes.They have a thin metal guard inside to keep them from pushing back -
    Other Motorcycle Accessories

I also use Baker Wings that work well-
    Air Wings Motorcycle Air Deflectors

Those 3 finger ones don't look like a good idea. I have used the lobster style which is like the spock hand symbol. Way more heat when 2 fingers are together.

I wound up ordering a set of winter elite gloves. They use exkin insulation and hipora. They had reviews by guys who rode them down to pretty low temps.

That's the problem is that so few bikers even ride below 20 that there just isn't that much of a knowledge base.

Will report back as soon as I try them. Hope this nor'easter thing is fake. Even still here in the city I can usually ride the next day or so.

Those handlebar mits do look nice though. Not as huge and bulky as the hippo hands. Maybe will try those next.

Last edited by smokinjoe; 01-21-16 at 01:26 AM.

Ok test #1 completed and failed. The winter elite tourmaster gloves failed miserably. I rode today in 43* with them and my hands were cold. I recently bought some bilt gloves on closeout for $14 and they are warmer than these $140 gloves.

So onward. Will try something else.

Questions:

When cold, your body reduces blood flow to the extremities to maintain core temp. Are you sure you're doing enough to stay warm overall? Is your neck exposed? Is your head too cold? Do you have adequate insulation on your legs and arms? Have you considered heated gloves with rechargeable battery packs built in?

Last edited by golden chicken; 01-28-16 at 10:58 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

gc, that is a valid point.

I do wear a very warm 3/4 length touring jacket. I also layer fleece under it. With that setup I have ridden for extended periods at single digit temps.

I have artic cat hand guards to keep off wind blast, a touring screen for torso wind, a thick helmet halo that covers the helmet chest gap all the way around, and wear multiple layers on my legs.

It is a good point though to pay attention to core temp as on some temps I do slightly skimp on core gear.

My concern here is hands. I returned the elite tourmasters, and then wore my old fieldsheer eskimo gloves in even lower temps (35ish). My hands were extremely warm so all things equal, I still need better gloves.

Why u no heated grips? Pumping heat back into your body through your hands FTW.

Lifer

To state what maybe is already obvious, make sure that whatever gloves you try out that they are not snug. Winter gloves should not gave their insulating material too compressed. I made that mistake with my first held freezer gloves. From my research, primal oft is better than any of the other materials for insulation

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast