Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

DL650's lament

Re: DL650's lament

Ok first I am old and have 2 identical pairs of Dad shoes per pic, Note when in a field of burdocks it will gather every one meanwhile,

EASY ANSWER
    DL1000
    ALL THE ATTRIBUTES OF THE 650 PLUS 92 HP
    For best use get the clutch basket mod, and install a tre defeater....then you have some wheelies back
    If you care with a PC V or PC you can get 45 mpg but stock is 40
    Real touring even with two up and a good group albeit usually geriatrics

Do everything and some excitement to boot and lots of quirky characters, I am also bemused the number of people that left then came back to a
    Vstrom

SPORTBIKES ARE DEAD LONG LIVE SPORTBIKES

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I don't know what dad shoes are. Img some shits.
    Go to the New Balance outlet. Head for the "Walking" section. Welcome to my world.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    For best use get the clutch basket mod, and install a tre defeater....
    If you care with a PC V or PC you can get 45 mpg but stock is 40
    Or just buy a 650 and go ride the ever loving piss out of it. That works too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rode a DL1000 before a DL650 and didn't like it at all. Throttle response wasn't predict le, gearing was off,and the extra weight made the front end heavy on first roads.

The fueling and gearing is easy enough to remedy, it's got plenty o power for two up, and used prices are pretty close to the same.

I rode mine today. It sure isn't getting many miles this year.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Vstrom Get together near Rangeley Maine Sept 23 weekend

ACTUAL RIDING AND CAMPING

The calculus of hate

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Vstrom Get together near Rangeley Maine Sept 23 weekend

ACTUAL RIDING AND GRAMPING
    FIFY

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    FIFY
    I was the only one that gramped out last year, something that was easy to do as the ride was organized in a figure 8 loop

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I had cash on the table yesterday but the seller couldn't find the title. Perhaps it's a sign.

Took the bike for a test ride, and with the crash bars / bags / big windscreen it was an absolute couch. Definitely gonna use all that power, though.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

In the summer I put a little windshield on it, from CalSci, with the adjustable brackets from MadStad (available at Twisted Throttle). MadStad makes windshields also. Did you get it yet? I think I might have a few minor parts for it.

In terms of being boring, well, it's all about attitude! According to Google the title is, "The V-Strom is not for pussies."

Hahahaha great vid.

-Jared

I never understood the concept of soul until I bought my KTM. The last V-Strom I rode was completely devoid of it. Sure it did everything, but it did it so boringly.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I believe this "soul" argument is the new "emperors new duds".
    I know, I know, I just don't understand man. It's like so.. Just so..

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I never understood the concept of soul until I bought my KTM. The last V-Strom I rode was completely devoid of it. Sure it did everything, but it did it so boringly.
    I've had bikes with soul. I would love the kind of soul that comes with great power, suspension, and the most advanced ABS system available on any production bike. Just can't afford it.

-Jared

To me, "soul" is a funny concept, since I don't even believe in souls in people, much less animals and machines.

However, what I think "soul" in a machine boils down to is how it feels to use it. How do the controls communicate what the bike (or car) is doing? When you steer it, can you feel what the front tire is doing in detail, or is it just a vague impression? Can you feel the traction limits when braking? Can you feel the friction zone of the clutch well? When you operate a control, is it smooth? Does it give good tactile feedback?

A small example -- when I testrode a Ducati Diavel, most of it was meh. Good for a cruiser, but not something I'm interested in buying. But one odd thing did stand out on the Diavel: the turn signal button. It was really nice. A good amount of effort; not too stiff, but not too mushy. A nice click when you turn a signal on, and when you cancel it. I was impressed with that item. Someone did that right.

Certain brands have that kind of stuff down well, and it makes a difference. It's why I would still buy a Harley over a Victory/Indian -- Harley has that stuff down, and Polaris doesn't yet. When I testrode the Indians (a Roadmaster and a Scout), my biggest gripe was that the front end on both felt vague. Both bikes handled well for their size and type, but I didn't get good feedback through the handlebars about what exactly was happening with the front tire. The Harleys (telescopic fork, anyway; I haven't ridden a springer) have much better feedback and feel. They may not handle any better (or even as well), but I have more confidence in them while riding because they communicate well (again, for their size and type).

Italians, for some reason, are good at this, in both bikes and cars. Both Ducati and MV Agusta excel at this sort of communication and feedback, and it inspires confidence and makes the bikes feel good to ride.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

I mostly agree. Fortunately or not some of that can be addressed through tuning and the aftermarket. And the cost deltas often make that viable.
    I argue my sub $1k SV650 has way better front end feel than my coworkers 750SS that cost 3x as much.. now that I've gone to town on it with about $500 worth of ebay auctions and spent a couple Saturdays on it. I love to tinker. He just wants to ride. YMMV.

I think the "soul" argument is basically a dodge for "I just fucking like it better". Which is fine. Everyone has their opinion and fortunately we have a market rich enough to support that. There is no suitable counter argument to "I just fucking like it better" and nor should there be; it isn't arguable. It just all seems a little dishonest to me. Be proud, come right out and say it.

I fucking just fucking like it fucking better!

Ah, don't we all feel better now?

I got an FJ1100 way back when

I always felt it was trying to hurt me and was NOT my friend. If there was a close one it would make it worse not help.

Then I got a set of the very 1st radial motorcycle tires and it was transformed into a very helpful playmate

Then it was a friend and we had many happy miles and years together

There are no boring bikes only boring riders

The calculus of hate

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I've had bikes with soul. I would love the kind of soul that comes with great power, suspension, and the most advanced ABS system available on any production bike. Just can't afford it.
    For "soul" substitute "branding." The SV650-derived DL650 motor is an absolute jewel. It doesn't have "soul" because it's not from Europe.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-23-16 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    For "soul" substitute "branding." The SV650-derived DL650 motor is an absolute jewel. It doesn't have "soul" because it's not from Europe.
    Uhhhh... no.

I've raced on an SV650 and apparently did ok on it. The bike/motor is effective, it was a mini rocket out of the corners but it absolutely didn't inspire or interest me in the least. Another extremely capable bike that punches well above it's weight is the Honda ST1100, it too is absolutely soulless to me. My FZR, she talks to me, my GS500 talked to me more than the SV I rode, my Ducati ST3 had character. It's more than just good feedback from the controls and suspension, certain bikes can reflect back to the rider the urgency with which they're ridden. With the GS it was the poor machine running out of breath on top but still willing to twist until it floated the valves. With my ST3 the engine 'tightened up' it's response the harder you hammered it, etc. It's not about the amount of power, or just having vibes, it's how they change with the conditions and what you're asking of them. This is one of the reasons I loved racing small singles, tuned to the ragged edge they didn't just pull, you could feel the motor literally giving it's life with each pulse and knew the end may be near. They have a life to them that some bikes don't. My KTM300XCW or WR250ZD are great examples of this. There is more to what the motor is going to do at X throttle and Y RPM than you can determine with just those data points alone. How you arrived there can make the difference between smooth motivation or the evil temptress deciding it's time to unleash her fury. With say an ST1100, it is just as simple as X throttle at Y RPM makes Z torque no matter what, the end. Booooooooooring. Soulless.

Now, that's for me, others may find 'soul' in bikes in different ways.

hey, vanilla is a flavor too.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Now, that's for me, others may find 'soul' in bikes in different ways.
    Henceforth I declare the wee little Suzuki water cooled 90-degree 650cc twin to be the souliest, most soulful motor with soul to have ever souled its way up to redline. For me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've raced on an SV650, but it absolutely didn't inspire or interest me in the least.
    Blasphemy! You should ride the "A" bike. It's no faster, but a much more exciting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    hey, vanilla is a flavor too.
    For many of us, THE flavor. Especially when it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Henceforth I declare the wee little Suzuki water cooled 90-degree 650cc twin to be the souliest, most soulful motor with soul to have ever souled its way up to redline. For me.
    I feel like my YZ would work better on ice with an SV motor in it. Possibly on pavement too. Maybe I need to ride some of these soul bikes for comparison.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I used to believe the same thing when all I owned were Japanese bikes. My last one, a TL1000S, was the closest I ever came to feeling the "soul" feel. I felt like I had to tame it every time I climbed on, like it wanted to kill me at every chance. It made me appreciate it, and I developed a relationship with it, although the constant fueling and suspension issues kind of soured it over time.

Your argument falls apart at branding though. KTM has awful marketing in the US, they don't have anywhere near the resources that Harley, Triumph or Ducati do to build that "lifestyle" image. Yet the bike still feels different, like it wants you to build a relationship with it, to learn its pros, its cons, its quirks. No wonder soul is such a difficult thing to express, because it's a feeling or an emotion which is not really communicable to people who haven't felt it.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 08-24-16 at 06:56 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I like my DL650. To say the engine has soul is a reach. A big like "from here to the moon" reach. When you have no arms.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I like my DL650. To say the engine has soul is a reach. A big like "from here to the moon" reach. When you have no arms.
    What if you have a long tongue?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast