Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

DMV Shenanigans

DMV Shenanigans

Can anyone confirm if brand new bikes from 2012 and older need a vin check and "courtesy inspection" at a DMV branch to get registered in CT?

I purchased the bike new from a dealer in Oregon, had it shipped here, and was told by the CT DMV clerk that I would have to get temp plates and ride (or trailer the bike) to a testing DMV hub to get a vin check and safety inspection.

I have the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin made out to me, the dealer invoice, and my insurance paperwork.

I'm going to try another DMV as it seems like BS to me. Can anyone confirm? Thanks! - Seth

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: DMV Shenanigans

Seems odd, i know in RI (which seems to be the most strict state with BS stuff) if it was purchased NEW from any dealer, it does not need a vin check, no matter that year. Used is a different story

Yamaha

If bike has title (registered for the street in another state), or Statement of Origin if purchased new then you can get VIN Verification done at any of the CT Emissions Inspection stations for $10. If it is a "dirt bike" and looks like a dirt bike, then you most likely will have to take your chances by going through either Wethersfield or Hamden DMV for full Inspection. If you have a trailer or truck, then don't need temp plate. What kind of bike is it?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieman14 View Post
    If bike has title (registered for the street in another state), or Statement of Origin if purchased new then you can get VIN Verification done at any of the CT Emissions Inspection stations for $10. If it is a "dirt bike" and looks like a dirt bike, then you most likely will have to take your chances by going through either Wethersfield or Hamden DMV for full Inspection. If you have a trailer or truck, then don't need temp plate. What kind of bike is it?
    It's a 2012 RSV4 that has never been titled. I purchased it new from a dealer.

Nearly every dealer I've called in Ct says that new bikes don't need vin verification's or safety checks since they're...well..new. I'll call a couple of other DMV's in the morning.

AFAIK Age of the bike is irrelevant. If you bought it out of state you must have a vin verification done.