Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tard Stuff

Tard Stuff

I need help with all things Motard related... although I've been riding motorcycles for 8 years, I haven't been on a dirtbike since I was 13... and I don't know a whole lot about them.

My Pops wants to get into racing and is considering doing the 'tard thing.

So...a couple of questions that first come to mind:

1 - Best bike to start with (do you need a 450 to race, will any 450 do)?
    2 - What does it take to turn a stock 450 into a race 450
    (I am asking about passing tech/being safe/what is needed to put it on the track, not all-out the fastest ever, top of the line everything)?
    3 - What races are Motard's eligible for (any other than race #2 on Sunday)?
    4 - Anybody have one for sale or know somebody who does?
    5 - Anything he should consider specific to Motard vs. racing a different type of bike?

His main reason for leaning towards a Motard is riding position (he's getting close to 60yo with a bad back), and maybe the ability to switch it back to dirty riding.

TIA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Re: Tard Stuff

1: a 450 is better than a 250. At the novice level a stock motor is fine.
    2: terd wheels. Safety wire brakes, oil, axles, couple of catch cans.
    3:mine can run most of the lw, and ul stuff. Nhms wouldn't recognize it for ss, though. Even though the airbox is stock.
    4: nope
    5: I'm a noob. Take answers 1-4 with regard to that. It's alot of fun.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by tsanterre View Post

1 - Best bike to start with (do you need a 450 to race, will any 450 do)?
    2 - What does it take to turn a stock 450 into a race 450
    (I am asking about passing tech/being safe/what is needed to put it on the track, not all-out the fastest ever, top of the line everything)?
    3 - What races are Motard's eligible for (any other than race #2 on Sunday)?
    4 - Anybody have one for sale or know somebody who does?
    5 - Anything he should consider specific to Motard vs. racing a different type of bike?

His main reason for leaning towards a Motard is riding position (he's getting close to 60yo with a bad back), and maybe the ability to switch it back to dirty riding.

TIA
    1. Dont NEED a 450, but at Loudon thats the minumum. Some of the bigger Huskys/KTMs/Aprillias are present, but can also cut down on your classes.
    2. Wheels, thats about it. To make it a decent motard, you might wanna upgrade the brakes. My motard ran a stock exhaust most of its life, and I still have the stock Master Cylinder on it. Suspension will come into play at some point, Im not sure how well you can tune the stock stuff, but probably decently. Dirt suspension is going ot be VERY bouncy on the trakc. My only upgrade was a motomaster caliper, wave rotor and suspension.
    3. My bike (2005 RMZ450) I did Lightweight Sportsman, Motard, Ultrasuperbike, and Super Singles.
    4. Negative
    5. Be prepared for maintenance, both minor (lots of oil changes and stuff) and major (Some people do a new top end once a year, and a new bottom end in the off season, I made it through a season and a half doing one each)

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    1: a 450 is better than a 250. At the novice level a stock motor is fine.
    My bike ran mid-pack expert with a stock motor, and I know Alex Dunstan did ~20s on a stock motor.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

good stuff... thanks for the info

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

People tend to get wrapped up in power mods. Thanks for the insight. Srsly.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The closer to stock you keep the motor, the more reliable it will be. Other than 17" wheels and a 310 or 320mm front brake disc, everything else is optional. Recommend handguards to protect levers, exhaust (even a slip on makes a big difference), and a Brembo caliper (about 350 bucks from QTM, well worth it) and braided front brake line.

As for brand, look around to see what has the best parts availability. Honda is the most popular, and there are a bunch of Yamahas and KTMs at the track. I don't know why there aren't more Kawis and Suzukis; a lot would probably come down to what you have available for dealerships.

Just like any race bike conversion, your best bet is to find one already built.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

KTM's should get that crank trued and welded... They like to separate and spin crank bearings.
    Also, realistically, new tripleclamps with the proper offset, unless he really likes no front end feel... at all... and crashing.

as has been said, buy someone's race bike that's already built. That's really the one most valuable piece of advice.

..A 450 or bigger MX version of whatever brand you like.
    ..Stock motor if you want a trouble free season (unless you buy a KTM or Aprilia...then you need to work on them so they don't blow up )
    ..17" wheelset, I'd go with a good name brand..but that's just me.
    ..a Matching front braking set. Seems everytime you see this rotor matched with that calliper..then to this master, all you hear about is brake problems. Get a complete braking kit from the same brand..ie mine has a MotoMaster calliper, MotoMaster rotor, MotoMaster master and the MM calliper relocator.
    ..Suspension, I was always told the stock MX suspension was OK until you hit the 85 second mark?

Yamaha