Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

D'oh - Tales of Personal Stupidity

Re: D'oh - Tales of Personal Stupidity

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I have one like that.
    Bought an SV650 for $700. Kid and I had settled on $800 or something and then he proceeded to talk me down after I had agreed but before we set a plan to meet up. Get there and the bike is dead, clearly needs a battery and the usual TLC. But the motor turns over and tries with a jump pack, so I am in. Here's your money, smell you later.
    Get it home and spend the winter making it mine. Compression test looks great! Full yosh system. Penske. Emulators. New battery and FET regulator. The finest gorilla tape for the torn up seat. Wound up with a fleabay carb set and all new jets as the carb on the bike was just disgusting. New air-cleaner. New rubber. Did a valve check. Come spring she fires up and runs! Albeit not quite perfectly. Idles fine and has decent top-end, but falls flat right in the middle. Very un-SV-like.

Take her to her first track day and proceed to waste way too much of Doug's time between sessions asking him for advice, thoughts, and a hand turning wrenches on it. Played with the float settings. Swapped jets. Swapped plugs. Swapped coils and even the ECU from my race bike. No change, always the same.

For months later I continue picking at it trying to get it running right. I have my race bike right next to it in nearly the exact same state of tune that runs like a top and I am swapping parts between the two, praying the bad vibes do not spread to the race bike.

Eventually I decide to check the valves again. They are fine. But this time I noticed that I did not rotate the engine a full rev between measuring front and rear heads. The SV is a 90-degree twin. Seems the ignition fires on both compression and exhaust strokes. So called "wasted spark". Valves were timed so both cylinders compressed on the same stroke, when they should have been 270-degrees out. It ran, just weird.
    Kurlon called it the "big bang SV".
    I re-timed the valves and it ran great. Still does.

I call that personal stupidity with an assist from previous owner. (Or previous owners' mechanic.)

With all this talk of dropping bikes, I thought I would add mine.

Weak ankle and not confident moving the bike around, I walk it back at Palmer into the slightly downhill infield road down to the track. Put the kickstand down and go to throw my leg over it. Kickstand not fully engaged, my leg goes over and the bike falls forward. Within seconds, Peter Kates and Lea are picking it up off me. Oh yeah, I am fine (at that point, only my ego was hurt). Start the bike up and go out. By the second lap, I knew I broke something. Came in and went to the ER. Yep....broken 5th metatarcal.

5 days after moving in with Paul_E_D
    4 days after starting my new job
    1 day before having to fly to LA for a conference (I was known as the girl with the boot for a few years!)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

i just did the bearings on my swingarm. greased and torqued everything. went to put my tools away, and saw the sleeves that protect the bearings sitting on the table. had to disassemble everything to put the sleeves int he pivot point of the swingarm. getting to the point that i'm memorizing the torque specs on this bike.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

apparently I ran my K-Pipe out of oil

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    i just did the bearings on my swingarm. greased and torqued everything. went to put my tools away, and saw the sleeves that protect the bearings sitting on the table. had to disassemble everything to put the sleeves int he pivot point of the swingarm. getting to the point that i'm memorizing the torque specs on this bike.
    Does this qualify as stupid - forgot a step while re-assembling, noticed and fixed it - sounds pretty reasonable. Maybe that says something about me......

Quote Originally Posted by jim v View Post
    Does this qualify as stupid - forgot a step while re-assembling, noticed and fixed it - sounds pretty reasonable. Maybe that says something about me......
    Everything was put back together. Had to disassemble it all to put the sleeve back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    apparently I ran my K-Pipe out of oil
    Wanna borrow my lawnmower engine? I bet YOU can kill it!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Wanna borrow my lawnmower engine? I bet YOU can kill it!
    naw, I got a perfectly good snowblower engine that is horizontal shaft, that would also give me a 50% increase in power

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234