Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Has this ever happened to you?

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I know that a pretty good number of forum members are younger, (under 30) but I'm posing this question for the older crowd.

I recently purchased a 1997 CBR900RR. This is the first bike I've owned in 10 years. I used to ride a 1993 GSX-R 750 and loved to ride. I ended up selling the bike to buy a house, but always dreamed of owning another sport bike. Well, at 41, I finally did it, with much supprt from my wife. (this surprises most people I talk to)

Anyway, when I went to get the bike inspected, the first thing the guy (in his early 50's) said to me when I took off my helmet is, "Aren't you a little old for this bike? Wouldn't you rather be riding a cruiser?"

Man, that pretty much pissed me off. I've always felt younger than I actually am. A perpetual 21 year old in the body of a 41 year old. I've always like the styling and ride of a sport bike as opposed to a cruiser.

So, how many others have had this happen to them?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

i'm only 25 so i can't relate but I always get the "I took you for a Harley guy". That bugs me.

When I get Wendy's and they put tomato on my burger after I ask for no tomato - that bugs me too. I mean, I said no fuckin tomato you stupid bitch.

Bras cause cancer.

You should have countered with, "wheres your leather vest you gay pirate?"

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Originally posted by JeffL
    aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr matey

Bras cause cancer.

Just ask the kid doing the inspection when his mom is coming to pick him up.

Stupid rant:

It was pretty funny. Yesterday I was fuelin up the dump truck at work and I noticed 6 jixah's at the gas station. All brand new, all had bitch strips on the tires. One kid had a jacket (for looks) and the rest had tank tops and sneakers. They all had backpacks and it was about 8 in the morning, so I know they were heading out for a "long ride". They were all drinkin Red Bulls, coffee and smokin a few butts. I couldn't really belive how stereotyped they could be. I mean really, I should have taken a picture, you would have been amazed. One of them even marked the INSIDE of the tread of his tire with a wax tire pen.

Then I realized I went to high school with every single one of them. I almost wanted to say something to them cause I know they would have remembered me (the kid with the 70's honda 400 that rode it everywhere!) but I would have probably made some comments about how they ride/what they wear/etc. I just figured better left alone and went on my way. I did get a couple looks as if to say "hey, i recognize you" but I just kept on going.

I think I realized that I am tired of trying to convince people who don't want to be convinced to ride better/safer. I saw nearly 30 bikes on the road yesterday and only one person actually had on a real jacket. I've watched this morning as countless brand new sportbikes go up my parents road with young kids on them wearing nothing and doin 70 in a 35 with little kids and traffic everywhere.

Saturday at Autozone, there I was getting back onto the KiLaR after picking up some filler tube for the FJ. Another guy on a bike goes by me in the parking lot and give me the "knod". Mid 90's ZX6 with a blue t-shirt, shorts and sandles. He also had on a skull cap. I didn't frown, just kinda looked at him without understanding really, more of a confused "What???" kind of look. I don't dislike the guy, just can't understand.

Maybe I'm just getting to be a prick. Maybe I'm sick of what people assume I am when i tell them I ride. Maybe I'm just someone who doesn't like people in general (probably). Whenever I see someone riding in full gear, especially a younger kid, I just want to give them a pat on the back and an honest "Thank you".

End of stupid rant.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I never got that response while getting my bike inspected. After all who does that in RI?

I get that response from boss who is only a few years older then me. He says "when are you going to grow up?" I say I hope never. I have a cruiser too he says it about motorcycles in general. I also listen to Metallica and Disturbed and other heavy metal, he says the same thing "when are you going to grow up?" I say you still listen to Billy Joel "When are you going to grow up?" He gets irritated with my logic and leaves.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

My teammate / friend's father Bob is 50, looks like a Harley guy, and rides a mint Ducati 748... really quickly. He also races at Loudon. He gets that crap all the time.

My old man's plate on his BMWR1100S is "YGRUP" (Why Grow Up)

Beats me... I'm only 27 but most people that meet me for the first time think I'm 22-24.. wooha.

Boston --> San Diego

I get some awfully odd looks for sure, being some young(ish) kid on a mid 90's sporty sport bike, wearing full leather gear walking into a gas station to pay for my fill-up, or grabbing a snack and a drink. Whatever.

Maybe the look of the "responsible" rider is what saved the VT state Trooper from immediately whipping a U-turn and pulling me over as I passed him on a nice set of twisties doing.......alot over the limit yesterday. I saw him, stood the bike up got hard on the brakes, and kind of threw my hands up and nodded my head like "yup, you got me". He flashed the lights at me, gave me the slow down sign, and drove on. Phew.

Frankly at this point, age is pretty moot. I've ridden with riders so far ranging from 18 to nearly 60. Age really doesnt mean a whole lot, besides experience, and even that doesnt hold true all the time. Hell, I even went to a local HD dealership this weekend when they had a part I was looking for (clip link on chain), when none of the other local dealers had it. 2 wheels is 2 wheels.

I have had a few people ask me if I having a midlife crisis, I just tell them that contrary to popular opinion, sportbikes are more comfortable for all day riding, cruisers make you sit upright and you spine takes the abuse, a sportbike you are floating on air on your chest & your legs and at the end of the say you are much more comfortable even though the cruiser seems like a couch when it is sitting still

it might be BS, but it shuts them up and make them feel like an asshole for not knowing anything about bikes

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

My father has a bright orange '03 kawi Z1000. We dont get to ride too often but when we do I love the looks he gets when he pulls off the helmet to show the white hair. He catches the same shit all the time from people. "too old" "mid life crisis"

It doesn't seem to bother him much. He just has fun giving people shit right back.

When I took my bike in they guy was rather impressed by it and a bit down on harleys. He is what I would invision in a harley rider. Even gave the impressed look at the pipes when he started it up. For those of you that havent heard a RC51 with sato banzais on it try and find someone that has one. Its a sound like no other sport bike.

As for the gearless wonders. Ya I see them all the time. One happens to be a coworker of mine with a brand new zx-14. Just the other day I saw a dude on a gixxer fitting the stereo type. Shorts, wifebeater, sneakers, a nice shiney chrome half helmet and his girl on the back with pretty much the same outfit. Like anything there are some dumbs ones out there. I had one guy instead of waving as we passed he let go of the bars, stood up on the bike and put his arms out to the side. It was kind of impressive but not smart.

James

Tomatoes suck......

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Well, after he inspected the bike and told me that I'd need to replace the rear brakes soon (which I knew already) he tried to get me back there to do the service.

OK, let me get this straight, insult my motorcycle preference for my age then try to get my business??

Am I missing something here? Is this the new marketing tactics??

As for riding gear, I used to be one of those 20-somethings who wears t-shirts and shorts when riding. (I believe the term is squid) Luckily, I've never been down seriously enough to get any road rash due to what I wore.

I now wear (at a minimum) a textile jacket, riding pants, leather gloves, and always a helmet, even in states that don't require them.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

On that note, if you are ever up near exit 3 on i-91 in Brattleboro, VT, get off and take rt. 9 east till you just cross the river. On a nice day with alot of bikes out, just sit there for a minute and you'll get a chuckle. You'll see hordes of bikes pulling over on the NH side of the bridge to take off their helmets and strap them onto the sides of the bike.

You'll see hordes of bikes pulling over on the NH side of the bridge to take off their helmets and strap them onto the sides of the bike.
    Charles Darwin would be proud......

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100