Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

KTM 690 Enduro R

KTM 690 Enduro R

I'm thinking about upgrading my wr250x to a 690 Enduro R (and tard it up at a later date). I've never had a opportunity to ride a 690, but on paper it's awesome. Right now I'm most interested in the 2010-2013 version. My plan is to use it like my wr: commute in the winter, backroads hooligan material, etc. Maybe do some light dirty stuff for fun. Unfortunately, I've never had a chance to ride one and I've never seen demos. So, I'm hoping a few people have ridden both and could comment on a couple of questions:

NVH vs. my wr250x? I'm not looking for buttery smooth out of a big single, I just don't want a paint shaker in comparison.

How is it at highway speeds? The Yamaha can do highway miles, but it's pretty tapped and labored. Obviously, it's got no wind protection and it's going to be twitchy - I'm mostly concerned in how labored it is with typical gearing and what kind of passing power there is.

wr250's are pretty heavy for what they are. The 690 is a little heavier on paper. Am I going to think it's a giant fat pig in comparison?

I suppose I should also ask if I'm doing it wrong and should be looking at older 2007 smc's?

Many thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: KTM 690 Enduro R

ive got a 690SM. its most likely geared different in the trans than the enduro but in 6th im doing 70 at just about 5k
    if the engine itself is the same and its counterbalanced like mine then its pretty smooth. a little vibe at idle but nothing major. no numb hands or feet riding it.
    power...lots of it too. i went up a tooth in the rear to drop a little bit of RPM on the freeway (next time i may drop another 2) and it still power wheelies in 2nd and mine is probably 50-75lbs more than the enduro version and i weigh an 1/8 of a ton.
    handling on mine is super light too.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

an SMC/SM is going to be more road oriented as far as the trans and suspension and brakes go, and if youre going to spend most of your time on tarmac then that would be the way to go. you can still ride dirt roads and i know some guys on here that ride their sumos in the woods but its obviously not ideal. changing a dirtbike to a street bike (motard) is gonna set you back a couple grand to do it properly.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I'm not sure if there are any internal gearing changes. I think the main differences are wheels, sprockets, front rotor + caliper + mount, triples, and a couple inches less suspension.

Did they import any 2010+ smc's? I'm not a huge fan of the styling on the 07's.
    Looks like they had sm versions through 2010.
    2010 had the 690 motor.

Doesn't look like they've imported them since 2010

Last edited by reks95; 08-05-14 at 01:40 PM.

Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Pretty sure the 690 was in earlier models than 10 since my 07 SM has a 690.

Hrm. I thought they started using the 690 label in 2007, but with a 654cc motor.
    Apparently, the true 690cc motor didn't hit the states until 2012.
    In any case, I'm not sure it really makes that much difference.

yes, in 07 the "690" was a 654...i doubt youll notice. compared to your 250 its a hayabusa

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I've been somewhat interested in the Enduro R as well. Approximately the same weight as my DRZ, but with way moar power. Seems like a nice combo.

Bill's thread and my buzzing of CL has me believing a used 690 Enduro-R is somewhat hard to find in this area.

Speaking from my DRZ (ie a 300-ish lbs dual sport), it feels like a wet dream come true on the pavement, even on knobbies. Off road the weight hits you fast. Suddenly you're thinking "single track? nope!" and praying there are no mud pits in front of you. But on the road it is absurdly flickable. With your size, I'm sure you'd have no problems handling a bike of that mass.

As we've discussed, I converted my DRZ to a sumo. Doing it over again, I'm not 100% sure I would. I may have just gone for a 2nd set of dirt wheels and done a "sportsman" conversion. Even the 80/20 tires out these days seem pretty awesome. The only problem is the front brake. No way around getting a bigger rotor and relocation brackets, me thinks. The problem would be the track. I've enjoyed towing the DRZ up to the track with me in sumo form and taking it out for the last session of the day just for shits 'n giggles. A sportsman setup would do that too, but not quite as well.

Sounds like you are not looking at the new 2014. Which is good because my read is that it could be difficult to convert because of the ABS. Not sure how I feel about ABS on a machine of this sort anyway. 2013 or earlier seems like the better choice. I gather the pre '14 ECU is DIY tunable too.

I like this: http://canadamotoguide.com/2009/07/2...t-bike-part-1/

Apparently that mini-screen is a KTM accessory. Looks just-right sized to my eye. Drop the oversized panniers and bolt a Pelican case to the back and you would have a superb commuter.. I think.

These bikes are relatively rare. I've seen 3 or 4 of them go by this summer. But compared to 2009+ SMC's they're "common".

Yeah, if I end up with an Enduro R, I'll try an 80/20 tire before investing in a sumo conversion. I looked around quite a bit and didn't find any commentary on 21/18 with street tires vs. 17's. I'll probably play wait and see on brakes, too.

I've only ever ridden naked bikes, so I have a pretty high wind tolerance (75 on the wr doesn't bother me). If my shoulders get too much, a small screen like that looks doable. I usually commute by backpack, but if I fall in love with and can figure a saddle that isn't a torture device maybe I'll add some luggage.

I'm not as interested in the 2014's for the reasons you stated.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Apparently that mini-screen is a KTM accessory. Looks just-right sized to my eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by reks95 View Post
    I've only ever ridden naked bikes, so I have a pretty high wind tolerance (75 on the wr doesn't bother me). If my shoulders get too much, a small screen like that looks doable.
    I've got the factory KTM screen on my 690SM, same size/design as the 690R, I've been extremely impressed with it's ability to keep the wind off. Slide back on the seat and get tucked down behind it on the highway and it gives me an additional 2-4 MPH at a given RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    I've got the factory KTM screen on my 690SM, same size/design as the 690R, I've been extremely impressed with it's ability to keep the wind off. Slide back on the seat and get tucked down behind it on the highway and it gives me an additional 2-4 MPH at a given RPM.
    i agree with this post. i have one as well

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up getting a 2012 Enduro R with about 400 miles off ebay for a good price. I think I'll take the advice here and throw a screen on it and maybe look into some 17's in the spring. Compared to my wr250x, it's pretty vibey and I think it runs a hotter at low speeds. But any niggles are long forgotten with one twist. So much fun.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Bastid!

I mean 'grats.

Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Quote Originally Posted by reks95
    Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up getting a 2012 Enduro R with about 400 miles off ebay for a good price. I think I'll take the advice here and throw a screen on it and maybe look into some 17's in the spring. Compared to my wr250x, it's pretty vibey and I think it runs a hotter at low speeds. But any niggles are long forgotten with one twist. So much fun.
    I put engine ice in mine and changed the fan switch out for one out of a suzuki 450 quad. Turns the fan on a little sooner. The ktm one comes one like 1 or 2 bars before it overheats. The suzuki one comes on about 2 bars before that.

Lifer

Dammm...I want one of those so bad..................congrats

try sportsman!!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: