Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dragon Story Rt 129 NC/TN

Its bike related, but I did the damn thing in a cage..................a wagon to be exact.

After making the trip all the way to the relatives in NC, I banged out the last 100 miles to the "Dragon."

First of all the area is a tighter river valley than 93/112 in Lincoln NH and Rt 4 in VT, but once you actually get onto the end of the 129 NC/TN dragon, (past the dam) its all twists and cork screws.

FYI:
    78 offers some excellent water rafting you can easily see from the road.....

The "start" isn't at the 78/129 gas station, but the gas station and mini motel far from anything. Rt 28 interescts here, which is a good reference, for either a good warm up GOING to the dragon, or a fun unwinder leaving........

LODGING:
    there is a "Microtel" about 10 miles from the best part in NC ON rt 129...

The good part of the Dragon in NC is VERY short, most of the twisties (and better pavement surface and 1 LEO) is in TN. This is quite a challenge, however a MAJORITY of bikes were cruisers, HD and 2 ups which I thought was strange. Quite a few cars too which seemed to hold the bikes, but I'm sure the drivers were being ultra careful of not crossing the lines and the sound of 5-7 bikes in front, then MORE behind you can be intimidating.......

There are some car groups that go, as there were some Corvettes and S2000's at some of the sceneic view turn offs..........

For those of you who actually knee drag, there are two sweepers on the downhill TN side where the sport bikers get all the gravy....... I followed this one guy in REAL gear and he was text-book. A real treat to watch.

The KILLBOY guys were out in two TN locations taking pictures. One was a girl, but it was too narrow to hang out the window with the bikes coming at me......

I haven't driven EVERY road, but I found the compactness of this to be enough to be worth the trek to do........ Basically do it over and over......
    My favorite road is the road to Hann in HI, but you can't get there from here..........

This road can and does kill people. I can see why. I got a picture of a straight line skid mark off into the woods....which was on a CLIFF....

I'll post pictures soon, I had a disposable camera only, sorry no video........
    I'll get that next time.
    -Suf Daddy

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Suf Daddy.

Lifer

we went swimming down off 78 ( I think ). It was cold as hell but the rafting looked awesome. The lake on the other side of the draggon was much better. You can pretty much leave your knee down nearly all the way through the draggon. I was melting my pucks off. I need to become independently wealthy so I can move there. Riding up here is just boring.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Rt 28...not 78

now you know why I have vacationed there for the past 6 years, almost every road within 200 miles of the dragon is better than anything we have in New England by far

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I'm thinking of 74, the rafting over there looked great. I think it's where they did the kayak slolum for the olympics a few years ago.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1

I'm here!
    Saturday, cars page 5 Audi wagon.

Last edited by Suf Daddy; 06-01-05 at 12:20 PM.
    Suf Daddy.

Randy: yes its nice!

Corrected 74 is the road.

Route 28 is the dam side which intersects high onto 129 right at the dragon (good part), 7four was down below where the freeway ended and the road turned left which brought you past all the rafting places. All this on the NC side.
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by RandyO
    Rt 28...not 78

now you know why I have vacationed there for the past 6 years, almost every road within 200 miles of the dragon is better than anything we have in New England by far

Suf Daddy.

Lifer

Re: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Originally posted by Suf Daddy
    I know where you're talking about. 78 or 74? Don't matter.

ok, I got it fingered out, yer talkin about 74/19, that almost 25 miles from the dragon over by Wayah Road

I don't take that route to get there, I take 81 & 40 all the way to Knoxville and then take 129 and come in from the other direction

Last edited by RandyO; 06-01-05 at 01:46 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON