Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dropped helmet

Dropped helmet

I dropped my helmet over the weekend. As luck would have it, I did not drop it onto anything soft, it was onto a bed of stones. Now I have about eight small paint chips missing on the back of the helmet. Cosmetic damage only, but l would like to fix it if possible.
    Has anyone done any cosmetic repairs to their helmet? Is there some sort of epoxy that I can use to fill in just the missing paint chips and then apply auto touch up paint?
    Any detailed suggestions to the cosmetic repairs?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Re: Dropped helmet

I think theres a few custom helmet painters on this board.....TrackLids is one I think..maybe they could help touch up the spots.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I'm not sure if a custom painter could touch up or not, but personally I'd just have them repaint it something cool and custom for you. Duck (sheppo) on here did a killer job on mine, I'm thrilled with it.

I'm mainly looking to just fill in the missing paint chips and apply a general matching color so that it is not as noticable. Don't really want to repaint the whole helmet. I was thinking of using a drop of epoxy on each divit and them brush a drop of auto touch up paint and then a drop of clear coat to hide it.

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Another dropped helmet... I hate it when that happens

i'd be more concerned about the protective mechanism inside, instead of the outter shell paint

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz View Post
    i'd be more concerned about the protective mechanism inside, instead of the outter shell paint
    I'm with him. I don't worry so much how my helmet looks as long as it will protect my head.

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Oi.... Greg's helmet went boom this weekend also...argh

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

without starting a whole helmet brand & preference controversy, you should contact the manufacter & see if they offer any safety testing on your helmet. if not, try to find someone that would x-ray your helmet. that should provide an instant answer for the safety of the helmet.

EX 105

Just cover it with a sticker.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

If I ever dropped my helmet, I would just replace it altogether. I've seen a video of a helmet exploding instead of protecting because it was it was dropped with "no visible damage".... read the last paragraph if you're lazy. Just my two cents :-0)

From the Snell website:

"Helmets are normally comprised of four elements; a rigid outer shell, a crushable liner, chin straps or a retaining system and fit or comfort padding. The rigid outer shell when present adds a load-spreading capability, and prevents objects from penetrating the helmet. It's kind of like an additional skull. The liner, usually made of EPS (expanded polystyrene) or similar types of materials absorbs the energy of an impact by crushing. The chin strap when properly buckled and adjusted along with the fit padding helps the helmet remain in position during a crash. Helmets work kind of like a brake or shock absorber. During a fall or crash a head is traveling at a certain speed. Since the head has weight, and is moving there is a certain amount of energy associated with the moving head. When the helmet along with the accompanying head impact an unyielding object; a rock, a wall, a curb or the ground the hard shell starts by taking the energy generated by the falling helmet (head) and spreads it over a larger portion of the helmet, specifically the internal foam liner. The foam liner then starts to crush and break which uses up a lot of the energy, keeping it from reaching the head inside. Depending on how fast the head is traveling, and how big, heavy and immovable the object is the faster the head slows down, and the more energy is present. In short everything slows down really quickly. A helmet will effectively reduce the speed of the head by breaking and crushing which reduces the amount of energy transferred to the brain. The whole process take only milliseconds to turn a potentially lethal blow into a survivable one."

Because of the different layers involved in how a helmet reduces the impact of an accident, coupled with the fact that the part that absorbs most of the impact is not even visible, a drop of anything higher than 1 - 2 feet onto a hard surface can, effectively, render a helmet useless as protection in an accident - even if there is no visible damage.

2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Damn!! Now I'm gonna have to buy a new helmet! more $$$ ugh!! Better a new helmet then a crushed head!

Arai stated droping a helmet will not harm the helmet at all......its the foam liner inside that is all that you should be concerned about...if thats compressed or comprimised then it should be replaced. It was on OTT.TV with a Arai rep.....and they asked him the same question....

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Arai stated droping a helmet will not harm the helmet at all......its the foam liner inside that is all that you should be concerned about...if thats compressed or comprimised then it should be replaced. It was on OTT.TV with a Arai rep.....and they asked him the same question....

I've had more than a few conversations with the Arai helmet reps (and Shoei, and a few others). Basically the helmet is a tool to manage energy with the weight of your head inside of it. If your head isn't in it, there's no weight against the energy management parts of the helmet, so the energy dissipates and doesn't require the foam and everything to do it's job...so it's just fine. Besides, as they all put it to me, if the helmet can't handle a small drop while empty, how would you expect it to protect your heat at 100-whatever mph?

here's the link to the video Pigman mentioned. Lots of good info from Bruce
    http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=160

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    If your head isn't in it, there's no weight against the energy management parts of the helmet
    my helmet weighs the same on or off my head

EX 105

Does that mean you're an "air-head"?

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post

I've had more than a few conversations with the Arai helmet reps (and Shoei, and a few others). Basically the helmet is a tool to manage energy with the weight of your head inside of it. If your head isn't in it, there's no weight against the energy management parts of the helmet, so the energy dissipates and doesn't require the foam and everything to do it's job...so it's just fine. Besides, as they all put it to me, if the helmet can't handle a small drop while empty, how would you expect it to protect your heat at 100-whatever mph?

here's the link to the video Pigman mentioned. Lots of good info from Bruce
    http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=160

Thanks Now we can Never Ever have another helmet thread>>

You cant be serious saying that right? He means thats theres no weight on the inside of the helmet (your head) to press against the foam to distorte it.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    You cant be serious saying that right? He means thats theres no weight on the inside of the helmet (your head) to press against the foam to distorte it.
    Have you met Jim? Quick as cold molasses.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    hey, way to fuck up a joke. i award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul

EX 105

Oh, that was funny....continue on.

hey, way to fuck up a joke. i award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul
    Everyone in this auditorium is now dumber having listened to your answer.

A while back, my father dropped my helmet on a gravel driveway. I sent it to shoei for their testing and it came back fine.

I then filled in the minor paint chips with colored sharpi marker and it looks fine.

Keep in mind every cash/fall/drop is different and just because mine was fine after a similar scenario, doesn't mean yours is.