Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dual-Sports - DRZ vs. KTM 400EXC

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Dual-Sports - DRZ vs. KTM 400EXC

A friend is looking for a dual-sport for general fun use, mainly street. He'll be bringing it with him back to North Carolina. At this point the two bikes below are at the top of his list... We're going to look at them in the next few says.

I don't know too much about KTM's - but the bike below seems like a decent setup to me. My initial impression is that it is a little more high-strung (so, less streetable) and higher maintainence than the DR-Z, but is more powerful and lighter. Am I correct?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/1978101852.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/1976701328.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Re: Dual-Sports - DRZ vs. KTM 400EXC

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    A friend is looking for a dual-sport for general fun use, mainly street. He'll be bringing it with him back to North Carolina. At this point the two bikes below are at the top of his list... We're going to look at them in the next few says.

I don't know too much about KTM's - but the bike below seems like a decent setup to me. My initial impression is that it is a little more high-strung (so, less streetable) and higher maintainence than the DR-Z, but is more powerful and lighter. Am I correct?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/1978101852.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/1976701328.html
    Or maybe this?? WR450

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/1978461987.html

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    My initial impression is that it is a little more high-strung (so, less streetable) and higher maintainence than the DR-Z, but is more powerful and lighter. Am I correct?
    Yes.

The DRZ will give you years of trouble free, low maintenance service. The KTM will give you high performance, but need more attention in the long run.

The KTM is a 6 speed. The DRZ would be great, if it had a 6th gear.

Niether bike will be enjoyable for slab commuting (70mph +).

The DRZ in your link is an "S" model. It is less powerful (with the CV carb) than the dirt model, but the "street" equipment is sound and sturdy (55w headlight, blinkers, horn, etc.). The KTM is "barely" street legal, and you will repeatedly be repairing the street components on that bike. I have found this to be the main difference between "off the floor" dual sport bikes, and home-made and kit version dual sport bikes.
    Of those two bikes (3 - including the WR), the DRZ is the easy choice for "mainly street" use.
    JMO.

Last edited by gregp; 09-30-10 at 07:19 AM.

Lifer

Note that the DRZ comes with 2 seats. Probably stock, and the Suzuki Gel seat. Niether one is very good. They are very narrow.
    In terms of dirt ability, the KTM (or the WR) will ride circles around the DRZ-S.

I have had both drz400s and Katoom 300ex

If he has any dirt racing/enduro aspirations then the katoom

The drz is mediocre in most areas, albeit fun. The exc is a woods race bike. Read: small oil capacity, no cooling fan, like 90/10, dirt to street. I'd recommend a ktm lc4 based bike. Better than the drz in almost everything with the same reliability.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

If he wants a reliable bike that's got reasonable power on the street, good reliability, and he's not planning on racing motocross or riding tight, technical woods trails, he might want to look for one of the 650 dual sports. A Suzuki DR650 would be an excellent start, or if he wants a bike that's better both on- and off-road, a Husqvarna TE610 would be a great choice.

That KTM 400 would be a great dirtbike, but it'll be a lot harder to live with on the street than a purpose-built dual-sport would be.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I agree with that. I sold my DRZ400S and bought a DR650 simply because the big DR was a better street bike than the DRZ was a dirt bike. Then I bought a dedicated dirt bike.
    The big DR is great for exploring, and it will take me off road as long as I keep the speeds down and stay out of the really nasty stuff. The engine cases are very vulnerable on the DR650, even with a skid plate, because they are flush with the bottom of the lower frame tubes. The ignition/flywheel cover is particularly vulnerable and I hit it on rocks twice in the first 15 minutes of ownership.
    The only Achilles Heal on the DRZ is the 2nd gear bushing, which can get crushed if the CS sprocket nut is over torqued.

You've got IM.