Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dualsport Motard etc help

I am interested in getting some sort of dual sport/motard type thing. I don't know much about any specific models, but id like to use it for city riding and some very light highway commuting (maybe) possibly at the track and dirt roads type stuff. I do not think I will do any real tight trail riding or off road stuff. Im not very nimble at all, and I'm a bit big at 6'2 220.

Any advice on where to start reading, what type of bikes I should be thinking about and if they are suited to what Id like to use it for.

I should also mention that I'm not too handy, meaning I'd rather not do a whole lot to get it street legal in MA which it must be for my uses. I'd also like something that can get beat on a bit without needing to change the oil before I come home.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

KTM 625smc

Yamaha

Suzuki
    drz400 if you plan to trail ride at all. (but is very capable of high way speeds) I have had mine up to 100mph, wide open in fifth gear.

dr650 if you plan to do mostly commuting, and dirt roads. not to say you can't trail ride with it, but you need some major off roading experience to toss it around off road. Its a bit heavy for new england single track.

both can be had used for pretty cheap.

I owned a dr650
    and currently own a drz400
    both have been bullet proof and can be had in the used market for under $3000.

For what you said you want to do with it, the kawasaki klr650 would fit your needs perfectly. as long as you plan to stick to your plan of not trail riding with it. Huge aftermarket support also bulletproof new they run under $6000 and you can probably find a used one in the $3000 range.

good luck

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Originally posted by theothersean
    Suzuki
    drz400 if you plan to trail ride at all. (but is very capable of high way speeds) I have had mine up to 100mph, wide open in fifth gear.

dr650 if you plan to do mostly commuting, and dirt roads. not to say you can't trail ride with it, but you need some major off roading experience to toss it around off road. Its a bit heavy for new england single track.

both can be had used for pretty cheap.

I owned a dr650
    and currently own a drz400
    both have been bullet proof and can be had in the used market for under $3000.

For what you said you want to do with it, the kawasaki klr650 would fit your needs perfectly. as long as you plan to stick to your plan of not trail riding with it. Huge aftermarket support also bulletproof new they run under $6000 and you can probably find a used one in the $3000 range.

good luck
    Those were the 2 bikes I had been looking at so far. Actually an 06 KLR650 can be had for 4600 brandy new.

The suzuki 400 is classified as a super motard and the kawi a dual sport. Is there any real distinction between the names or is it just names?

As well in terms of track use is there anything about one or the other that makes it significantly better or worse?

Thanks for the tips sean

Last edited by Manny; 08-07-06 at 12:00 PM.

Anyone with a KLR650 or a DR650 had em on the track? Is it possible or just plain stupid?

Littering and........

The DRZ was the cheapest way I found to get a street legal motard....outfitting the off-road bikes with the appropriate street equipment and street wheels and tires was very cost-prohibitive.

The KTMs are really nice, but they are really geared toward performance and off-road, from what I've noticed. This comes to be an issue in the area of electrical gremlins.

KTM 625smc

+1

I own one and it is a blast on the tight, twisty backroads and empty parking lots !!!! I don't take it offroad and I don't think I ever will because of how much I paid for it ($7299 new). But, it is good fun. Not an all day tourer as the seat is narrow and the bike tends to be light on the front wheel at highway speeds of 80+. I suppose some suspension adjustments might help there but, again, not a great highway bike.

However, it is great fun to terrorize city streets. AND, it wheelies as easy as any bike out there !!!!

LRRS#167

Re: KTM 625smc

Originally posted by odduc
    +1

I own one and it is a blast on the tight, twisty backroads and empty parking lots !!!! I don't take it offroad and I don't think I ever will because of how much I paid for it ($7299 new). But, it is good fun. Not an all day tourer as the seat is narrow and the bike tends to be light on the front wheel at highway speeds of 80+. I suppose some suspension adjustments might help there but, again, not a great highway bike.

However, it is great fun to terrorize city streets. AND, it wheelies as easy as any bike out there !!!!

Can I ask where you picked it up at that price? Although I don't think I can rationalize the extra 2g's it does sound great.

Have you had it on the track at all?

Mine is a 2005. I think the price may have gone up for this year's model, if you can find one.....
    I got it from Freedom Cycle in Concord, NH.

I have not had mine at the track............YET!

LRRS#167

I also should mention in 2007 (the bikes will be out in less than 1 month) the KTM 450 and 525EXC's will be fully street legal from the factory

Asking for a dualsport bike that is good for dirtroads, city riding, highway riding AND track riding is going to be chalenging to say the least IMO.. At least without having a extra set of tires/rims laying around.
    When I first started the Motard thing, I was just planning on dirtroads and no trails as well.... that changed after my first dualsport ride that ended up on a trail. Best bike investment for the fun that I have ever made
    I've got a 06 KTM 525exc that I got road legal, to me it's the perfect bike. I can switch back and forth from full dirt to full street in 25 minutes and it's pretty impressive how well it rides on the street for a dirtbike

Yamaha

Re: Dualsport Motard etc help

Originally posted by Manny
    I am interested in getting some sort of dual sport/motard type thing. I don't know much about any specific models, but id like to use it for city riding and some very light highway commuting (maybe) possibly at the track and dirt roads type stuff. I do not think I will do any real tight trail riding or off road stuff. Im not very nimble at all, and I'm a bit big at 6'2 220.

I do all that and more with my nekid SV650

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Originally posted by R7
    I also should mention in 2007 (the bikes will be out in less than 1 month) the KTM 450 and 525EXC's will be fully street legal from the factory

Asking for a dualsport bike that is good for dirtroads, city riding, highway riding AND track riding is going to be chalenging to say the least IMO..
    In terms of the KTM, I dig it, and I'm going to call about the prices, but it looks like it will be pretty pricey.

And yeah, I know a bike like this wont do everything, but im looking for mostly city and some track, much less highway and dirt....but who knows what Ill end up liking once I give it a shot

I recently traded my gsxr for a 04 ktm exc street legal and its a freaking blast. Only drawback is that the exc uses the rfs engine which only holds 1.25l of oil which can burn up pretty quickly on long high rpm highway droning. An aftermarket oil cooler and electric fan are available, which extends its highway times and help in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by Joker; 08-09-06 at 02:45 AM.

Do you have the dirt wheels for that dirty pig as well?
    Mine doesn't seem to burn any oil but the 450sx I had before the EXC used to burn and leak some

Yamaha

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the DRZ400SM. I really dig the KTM's but the maintenance and the cost are steering me away. I found an 06 625 (almost none around), they want 8300 for it, and had a few ppl coming to see it today and the new 450 and 525 are going to be in the mid 7's to low 8's.

I know the DRZ has its disadvantages - mostly Ive heard complaints regarding power, but I'm slow. Really slow. I figure that if I ever get fast, Ill worry about it then . Ive read about lots of easy mods you can do to open it up for not too much money. I also like the reliability and maintenance needs and of course the price. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal.

Hopefully it'll be the right choice....

The DRZ is a great entry level dual sport bike but it's a gutless turd.

However they make a stroker kit for it that I hear really lights it up.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Originally posted by R7
    Do you have the dirt wheels for that dirty pig as well?
    Mine doesn't seem to burn any oil but the 450sx I had before the EXC used to burn and leak some
    No. The guy I got the bike from had already sold them. Im looking for some though when I have the money.

here ya go, manny.. i don't know much about ATK's, but this one looks pretty friggin' sweet!

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/191069137.html

Thanks man, but Im all set....picking up friday I hope.

Littering and........

Is it black or yellow?

Mine is black:

Originally posted by highsider
    Is it black or yellow?

Mine is black:

Well, it started as on 05 yellow at a local dealer. I really liked it and it was a good price. But, when I went back the second time I found out that it had miles on it, was listed in the used bike section and had been ridden at least a few times but still being sold as new. I was a bit ticked that they had not been completely honest with me, or so it seemed although I imagine it could have been an oversight . So I started calling around and I found another deaer with an 06 Black which he said he would give me for 100 bucks more - obviously with no miles. So I went for it.

Littering and........

Black is better.

When you go to do your first track day with it, you will be pleasantly surprised - that whole goofy unit with the brake light and turn signals unplugs from the wiring harness and comes right off, and there is no external oil filter, so track prep is pretty minimal.

Originally posted by highsider
    Black is better.

When you go to do your first track day with it, you will be pleasantly surprised - that whole goofy unit with the brake light and turn signals unplugs from the wiring harness and comes right off, and there is no external oil filter, so track prep is pretty minimal.
    Noice, I hate the prep.

How long did you wait on the first oil change? Should I follow the owners guide? Did you do anything special for break in?

Littering and........

I did the first oil change at 750 miles, because I was taking it to a track day.

Breaking it in? Whats that?

I tried to be nice to it for about 500 miles, then I proceeded to beat it like it owes me money, which I have done ever since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast