Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Duc questions

Duc questions

I just picked up my first Duc, a 2005 Multistrada S. You know, because I enjoyed Robocop.

It has an open clutch cover, and if I don't hold in the clutch after starting it, the clutch makes Quite a Racket. It's loud enough that I'm more concerned about bothering my neighbors with the sound of the clutch than I am about the aftermarket pipe. Cause for alarm, or just one of the joys of Duc ownership?

Gas gauge doesn't work. If I get it fixed is it likely to stay fixed, or do these just have bad related electronics that will keep failing?

Prev owner says he's needed to bleed the rear brake every year to maintain any rear braking effect at all. I'm not a big rear braker, but I'd like it to work in a pinch (and pass inspections with minimal hassle). Thoughts on what part(s) might be at fault there?

Thanks as always for your wisdom-

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Re: Duc questions

Ughhhhhh...wish I'd known about the importance of "red keys" yesterday.

-Jared

I'm not a dry clutch fan and even less so for an open cover. They do make way too much noise with the open cover.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3
    I'm not a dry clutch fan and even less so for an open cover. They do make way too much noise with the open cover.
    If they are worn out.

Need to bleed to maintain pressure? Sounds like you have a leak, or a bad master cylinder. Keep an eye on fluid level and color.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

It's a great bike and worth sorting out the issues you're seeing. I see you 'no can wrenchy' so I'd recommend you taking this to Seacoast and have Kyle or Jesse go through it. It won't be free, but they can give you an appraisel on whats going on and you can believe 'em.

My 2 cents.....!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Remove rear brake caliper, invert so the bleed nipple is at the top, stick something between the pads to keep the pistons where they belong and bleed. Problem solved.

Loud exhaust is a perk of ownership, but the loud clutch is like oysters - you either love it or hate it.

I live right down the street from Riverside Motors, so I took it over this morning. They confirmed everything y'all are saying, basically. Dana (really nice girl in the parts dept; rode a hyper until recently) gave me the number of a locksmith who might be able to clone my black key too.

Held off on springing for a new rear master, but did order a set of OEM mirrors with the integrated signals, various bolts etc. Should be pretty painless to get on the road.

I'm not a fan of the clutch noise, but everyone said "first Duc eh?" so I'm willing to try to embrace it.

-Jared

You can Just get a stock clutch cover pretty cheap, I may even have one somewhere? Also if you need help with some stuff and aren't feeling the shop I live just over in South Medford and am pretty handy, least as far as my 900SS goes.

Last edited by 2v2Ducati; 05-18-13 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
    Like I said they say, nothing stops a party barge.

97' Ducati 900SS - Sometimes runs

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I just picked up my first Duc, a 2005 Multistrada S. You know, because I enjoyed Robocop.

It has an open clutch cover, and if I don't hold in the clutch after starting it, the clutch makes Quite a Racket. It's loud enough that I'm more concerned about bothering my neighbors with the sound of the clutch than I am about the aftermarket pipe. Cause for alarm, or just one of the joys of Duc ownership?

Gas gauge doesn't work. If I get it fixed is it likely to stay fixed, or do these just have bad related electronics that will keep failing?

Prev owner says he's needed to bleed the rear brake every year to maintain any rear braking effect at all. I'm not a big rear braker, but I'd like it to work in a pinch (and pass inspections with minimal hassle). Thoughts on what part(s) might be at fault there?

Thanks as always for your wisdom-
    The clutch is a "joy of ownership". I like to think of the sound as being "festive".

They may not all be like this, but I gave up on the fuel indicator long ago and just use the tripmeter. The rear brake problem is something wrong that can (and should) be fixed.

Those are great riding bikes, you'll be very happy any time you're on it. But the ugly is not repairable.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

xxaarraa

The clutch noise is not a racket. It is music. I would kill for a dry clutch, sadly those times seem to have passed. Anyway, if it bothers you too much, do a google search for "ducati quiet clutch mod" and there is a way to quieten it way down when in neutral by flipping the order of the steel and friction plates when they go back in the basket. I had that mod in one of my old Monsters for years and worked well. Welcome to the family, you will never go back!

Quote Originally Posted by 2v2Ducati View Post
    You can Just get a stock clutch cover pretty cheap, I may even have one somewhere? Also if you need help with some stuff and aren't feeling the shop I live just over in South Medford and am pretty handy, least as far as my 900SS goes.
    That's a generous offer; thanks!

-Jared

Thanks PhilB,

There's visible rust/corrosion on the rear brake master piston, so it's likely there's some air leaking in. The split front robot look isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm actually a big fan. Clutch noise (or maybe my attention to it?) seems much less of an issue when the bike is in gear; neighbors will just have to get used to it during morning neutral warm-up / helmet 'n' gloves donning time.

-Jared

Every day I own this Ducati, I learn something new about Ducati maintenance.

It sat in the rain for the last two days because I couldn't get it started. Pulled/charged/reinstalled the battery, still wouldn't start this morning. Replaced the battery with a new one and it started right up, but then I couldn't get it out of first gear on the way home. Pulling the clutch lever had no effect; stopping the bike (at lights, for example) forced the motor to stall. I already suspected the clutch line needed to be bled, but when I went to the bike shop for dot4 I learned all about dry clutches, open clutch covers in the rain, and clutch plates rusting together.

The shop was using a closed clutch cover as a candy dish, so I took that off their hands for $25 and ordered a gasket. "Situation excellent, am attacking."

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared