Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Lifer

Question Ducati 1200cc rumors?

What do you guys think of this? The rumors are really flying now.

Personally this sounds like a reaction to Ducati having trouble competing now that 1000cc I-4s have been allowed in racing.

I think this is bad, I would rather see further restriction of the liter 4s or possibly making them go down to 800cc?

Just not that crazy about the ever increasing displacement war. You know what's going to happen if this goes through. Ducati kicks major ass a few years from now when they get their 1200cc bikes sorted out, the japanese complain, next thing you know the japanese bikes are allowed to run 1100cc or something and just like that all the bikes have upped their displacement.

It just seems like things are already insane enough and if this continues we might end up getting slapped around by the government or something. (Power restrictions, etc..)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

I think it's a lot of rumor right now... but the latest photoshop design looks tasty

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Lifer

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Yah no doubt the designs look nice.

I guess something just has to happen though when Ducati can barely build a factory race bike that makes the same power as a street GSX-R, etc..

Ducati just needs to start finding a way to bring some of that Desmosedici goodness to it's streetbike line.

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Im all for it. If ducati make a 1200 then the japanese will have to step up their game either squeezing more power out of the existing 1000s or making new 1100 or 1200 engines. I say go for it I want to buy the 2009 GSX-R 1200.

Should have just about 205 HP by then.

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

AHHHH........But, therin lies the problem. IF the trend continues to go that way, eventually the government will step in to try and restrict these new hyper-powerful streetbikes.

While we all love and appreciate the technology and evolution of sport bikes, but when and where is the line drawn the says, "too much". We are really already there because most sport bikes produce more power than can be practically used on our speed limited roads.

LRRS#167

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Ducati should just go with a V-4 at 1000cc for superbike. Keep the twins around for the rest of their line-up.

The gap between the 4s and the twins was supposed to be huge by now, but it really isn't. Ducati is still dominant in WSB with the right rider.

As for The streetbikes, sure Ducati is behind, but does it matter? No one needs that much power anyway.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by xxdcmast

no thanks.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Lifer

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by Paul_E_D
    Ducati should just go with a V-4 at 1000cc for superbike. Keep the twins around for the rest of their line-up.

The gap between the 4s and the twins was supposed to be huge by now, but it really isn't. Ducati is still dominant in WSB with the right rider.

As for The streetbikes, sure Ducati is behind, but does it matter? No one needs that much power anyway.
    I think they should bring out the V4 to replace the 999 and move the liquid cooled twins down the line like they have to the monsters, etc... no one wants to see the twins go away as streetbikes.

I think the issue with them being competitive with the twin is just that it's just like the RC-51, it takes a lot more $$$ to make a 180-190hp Twin then it does to do the same thing to a GSX-R, etc.. get rid of the restrictions for the liter fours and things will just get even more ugly.

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by Paul_E_D

Exactly. I'm likely in the minority, but if given the choice right now between a new R1, GSXR 1K, Busa, ZRex, etc, and a new RC51 I'm going for the twin. I think they're more fun to ride, HP isn't that important to me. Is it overweight? Yes. Is it slower than the I4 literbikes? Totally. Is it rapidly becoming outdated? Yup. Am I ever going to ride it to it's full potential? Nope.

I laugh everytime I see sportbike magazine shootouts that place far too much value on HP and top speed numbers... Who cares if one hits 165mph and another hits 170? I'm never going that fast, trackdays included. For me it's all about the seat of the pants dyno. I'd much rather go slower while feeling like the bike is going faster.

This isn't by any means a slam for literbikes. If I had the means I would DEFINITELY have a new R1 in the garage.

That said, though... HP numbers sell bikes. I can't see the manufacturers slowing down untill restrictions are in place. It sucks.

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by odduc
    AHHHH........But, therin lies the problem. IF the trend continues to go that way, eventually the government will step in to try and restrict these new hyper-powerful streetbikes.
    ...or a tiered licensing system...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by odduc
    While we all love and appreciate the technology and evolution of sport bikes, but when and where is the line drawn the says, "too much". We are really already there because most sport bikes produce more power than can be practically used on our speed limited roads.
    Same should be said for cages then, no? Corvettes, Vipors, and the like?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Man, I'm tired of this "Change the rules so the other guys can keep up" thing. Keep the rules the same for everybody. If a certain manufacturer wants to make a design that isn't competitive in the power wars, so be it. That can be their choice, and they can market things any way they want. But either make a design that is up to the task, or shut the "F" up. Isn't that what COMPETITION is all about? Hey, I'm faster than you! Oh yeah? Prove it! Hey, no fair. His engine goes faster than mine. Slow him down so I can win too. Boo F'in Hoo!

Lifer

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Exactly...

If Ducati makes a V-4 they still are "different" and then they don't need a displacement advantage.

Wouldn't that make Honda roll over in it's grave to see Ducati win with a V-4? As if that might not happen in MotoGP this year.

Littering and........

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by hessogood
    no thanks.
    Pussy.

Lifer

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by highsider
    Mrs. Highsider had an excellent time,

She did, however, pick up on something - she was like "How come you dont have those knee puck thingies? That guy Jay has them on his knees, and they're all ground up. You need a set of those." Hessogood, you stay away from my wife, fucker.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Littering and........

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by hessogood
    Fucker.

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by trickphoto
    Exactly. I'm likely in the minority, but if given the choice right now between a new R1, GSXR 1K, Busa, ZRex, etc, and a new RC51 I'm going for the twin. I think they're more fun to ride, HP isn't that important to me. Is it overweight? Yes. Is it slower than the I4 literbikes? Totally. Is it rapidly becoming outdated? Yup. Am I ever going to ride it to it's full potential? Nope.

I laugh everytime I see sportbike magazine shootouts that place far too much value on HP and top speed numbers... Who cares if one hits 165mph and another hits 170? I'm never going that fast, trackdays included. For me it's all about the seat of the pants dyno. I'd much rather go slower while feeling like the bike is going faster.

This isn't by any means a slam for literbikes. If I had the means I would DEFINITELY have a new R1 in the garage.

That said, though... HP numbers sell bikes. I can't see the manufacturers slowing down untill restrictions are in place. It sucks.
    This is exactly why I like the way the Busa makes it's power. Granted it's not in the same class as a Ducait or a RC51 in the corners but as far as power delivery it's great. It makes so much power early and gobs of torque that it makes it a really fun bike to ride. Too many people get wrapped up in the peak HP numbers and don't realize there is much more to it than one point in the RPM range. A 2005 GSXR will have the same peak RWHP as a Busa and yes it weighs almost 100lbs less doesn't come close in the low end and mid range and even worse int he torque department. I know it's 1298CC's but even the way it makes torque would put a V-twin to shame. If I ever go for another bike other than a Busa/14R it's going to have to be a twin.

Ducati 1200cc rumors?

Originally posted by busa413
    This is exactly why I like the way the Busa makes it's power. Granted it's not in the same class as a Ducait or a RC51 in the corners but as far as power delivery it's great. It makes so much power early and gobs of torque that it makes it a really fun bike to ride. Too many people get wrapped up in the peak HP numbers and don't realize there is much more to it than one point in the RPM range. A 2005 GSXR will have the same peak RWHP as a Busa and yes it weighs almost 100lbs less doesn't come close in the low end and mid range and even worse int he torque department. I know it's 1298CC's but even the way it makes torque would put a V-twin to shame. If I ever go for another bike other than a Busa/14R it's going to have to be a twin.
    Or the mighty rex which is a torque monster.....

Sure, the FZ1 may make more peak HP and be lighter, but you have to "downshift", whatever that means....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport