Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati 1x98 guys, couple ?'s

Ducati 1x98 guys, couple ?'s

So my 1198 now has about 1700 miles on it and I'm loving everything about it. But I have a few questions, do you guys ever experience a quick miss while cruising on the highway? So far I've only experienced this three times but it feels like I snapped the throttle shut for a split second while cruising around 4500 RPM, just a very abrupt loss in power that only last for what seems like one revolution of the engine. Also during the first 1k miles I was getting a false neutral every now and then during the 4-5 shift and 5-6 shift, the 4-5 shift is now butter smooth and I haven't gotten a false even while using the DQS. I still get the false every now and the during the 5-6 shift, will this go away with more miles or do you guys see it sometimes too?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

Re: Ducati 1x98 guys, couple ?'s

Stop riding it like a pussy and hammer the throttle....there wont be any misfires then...

My bud has a similar issue on his 848 coming up to a light. I assume the don’t like the low RPM's and chugg a bit. Drop the front sprocket.....Down -1 in the front and that will help it out.. or give Seacoast a shout and I am sure there guys can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Pigman; 04-19-12 at 06:57 AM.

No such problems on my 1098...

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Stop riding it like a pussy and hammer the throttle....there wont be any misfires then...
    Ive only gotten the missfire while cruising on the highway. 4500rpm on this stock gearing is about 90 indicated. Also the false neutral only happens during high rpm and fast shifts which makes me think it might possibly be the shifter position needs to be adjusted a bit or I need to get more foot under it. Believe me the bike gets ridden lol.

Last edited by Dannyf; 04-19-12 at 07:54 AM.
    "When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

2012 Multistrada. Same gearbox as the 1198 I think? Had a few false neutrals riding it home from the dealer with no miles on it. They persisted for a while after that but became less frequent. Only happened on the highway and I think mostly 4-5 (rarely use 6th on this thing). It has 1100 miles on it now, has had the first service, and it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

no bikes currently

From my experience it seems all twins have the false neutral problem. My tl1000 used to do it and my 848 did a few times when I first got it. Guess I was babying the Italian too much. I just shift a lot firmer and keep pressure until the clutch is fully released. I now have over 7000 miles on the 848 and it hasn't happened in 6000 miles.

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dukaki848 View Post
    From my experience it seems all twins have the false neutral problem. My tl1000 used to do it and my 848 did a few times when I first got it. Guess I was babying the Italian too much. I just shift a lot firmer and keep pressure until the clutch is fully released. I now have over 7000 miles on the 848 and it hasn't happened in 6000 miles.
    LOL, uhh not quite. Let's see.. 12+ Ducati's I've owned, plus an Aprilia... Never had false neutrals or a single gearbox issue, save for a very high mile M944 that was a touch finicky getting into 2nd.

I almost *never* use the clutch while up shifting / accelerating. Always use it while down shifting. Clutch-less up shifts (or using the DQS) is the way to go. Making sure your controls are adjusted to your personal liking (peg / handle bar / lever positions) can have a huge impact. Also, switch to GP shift if you haven't already (not sure if the DQS supports GP shift?)? Much easier stomping down on the thing while accelerating than trying to get your toe underneath it, especially if you're busy trying to hold on!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyf View Post
    Ive only gotten the missfire while cruising on the highway. 4500rpm on this stock gearing is about 90 indicated. Also the false neutral only happens during high rpm and fast shifts which makes me think it might possibly be the shifter position needs to be adjusted a bit or I need to get more foot under it. Believe me the bike gets ridden lol.
    Honestly, I was totally just fooling around with ya. I had nothing to contribute, so I figured I dump on ya... Enjoy!

Well good for you. That's why I said in my experience. I also said its all in how you shift so if you couldn't get it after 12 ducati's you should probably give up. After my problem happened I researched it calling multiple dealerships and had my bike checked out. After shifting with more force it went away. But hey all the mechanics I talked to must know nothing compared to you.

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

My Tuono does the same with a neutral thottle at low RPM's. Runs strong and smooth with positive throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Honestly, I was totally just fooling around with ya. I had nothing to contribute, so I figured I dump on ya... Enjoy!
    Its all good man.
    Thanks for the input every one. Like I said the shifting has gotten better with miles so I'll wait a bit longer and see if the 5-6 settles in better. No body has experienced the slight miss? Looks like i might be looking into that some more then.

Ayrton Senna

Bad shifting causes a lot false neutrals. Adjust the shifter down so you get a full positive shift.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.