Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ducati Monsters?

Ducati Monsters?

I know alot of the guys on here are Ducati owners. Anyone have any feedback on the 2001 Monster S4 or monsters in general? And also if you could give me some guidance on maintenance costs each year on these bikes? I'm on an 07 SV650n which has been a great low maintenance bike and would be all ears to people's opinions or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Ry

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Ducati Monsters?

Any modern fuel injected Ducati engine is pretty sweet.

I love the engines. Similar to your sv, but with more power.

The S4 is a 919 4 valve liquid cooled machine if I remember correctly. All the fun of a Monster with a Duc SBK motor stuffed between the trelliswork.

The maint isn't bad, the biggest change from your SV will be time based intervals for belt changes if you're not doing 12k miles every 2 years. Because it's a monster belt changes and valve checks are cake though.

The earlier years of s4's are dual sided swingarm, and desmoquattro engines. Later models are like the s4rs have the testasretta motor and single sided swingarm, among other things. The s2r series is pretty cool too, thu have all features of the s4's but with the simpler, less maintenance heavy, air cooled motors. Personally, I'd stay away from the early s4's with desmoquattros, if you have the money to get something newer.

Like I said, the two valve air cooled motors are cheaper to maintain, and actually really easy to learn to do the valve adjustments and belts (the only major cost compared to other bikes). 4 valve liquid cooled motors are a little trickier, as well as more expensive at the dealer for valve jobs, I would say around 800, and 400 for air cooled. That's recommended every 6k miles, belts every 12k.

If you consider older monsters, they come in a variety of cc's. 400, 600, 620, 750, 900. Only 900's and above have the trademark dry clutch, others have wet.

Pm me and I can prob answer most questions about problem years, maintenance, ect.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The S4 is a 919 4 valve liquid cooled machine if I remember correctly. All the fun of a Monster with a Duc SBK motor stuffed between the trelliswork.

The maint isn't bad, the biggest change from your SV will be time based intervals for belt changes if you're not doing 12k miles every 2 years. Because it's a monster belt changes and valve checks are cake though.
    Not as easy as any other Monster (2 valve). This is because of the Desmoquattro heads of the 916 engine. Still not the end of the world to do a valve check yourself though.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
    Not as easy as any other Monster (2 valve). This is because of the Desmoquattro heads of the 916 engine. Still not the end of the world to do a valve check yourself though.
    +1. Definitely a chafe compared to the 2V or testastretta head monsters (S4RS)

Eric at Clubhouse does a killer FREE 4V seminar every spring ... and if you don't want to dig into your bike yourself, is a great mechanic (formerly of BCM) and a sweet person too!

http://www.clubhousemotorsports.com/

Cheers,
    Adam

"In the end, it is not about the 'hardware,' it is about the 'software.' Amateurs talk about hardware, or equipment, and professionals talk about software, or training and mental readiness."

'95 916 - '00 MILLE - '01 FALCO - '02 XX - '04 RSV-R 1060 - '04 S4R

Yes. When the belt gets old, you go nowhere, regardless of miles.

Oh, and remember that the side stand is spring loaded. My friend nearly dropped his when he first got it because of that.

Last edited by rbrais; 06-09-11 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    Like I said, the two valve air cooled motors are cheaper to maintain, and actually really easy to learn to do the valve adjustments and belts (the only major cost compared to other bikes). 4 valve liquid cooled motors are a little trickier, as well as more expensive at the dealer for valve jobs, I would say around 800, and 400 for air cooled. That's recommended every 6k miles, belts every 12k.
    I've got to check my reciepts, those costs seem high to what I recall on my ST3. (Liquid cooled 3v, maint costs are closer to the 2v Ducs as it's a single cam.) I want to say belts are $80 to $150 a pair depending on the model they're for, belts plus valve check shouldn't be $650 labor on a 4v.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

The S4 is probably the least-desirable of the 4V monsters. Not an overly impressive motor, and not much to be gained over the 1000DS motors of the M1000 or S2R1000, especially when you contrast the maintenance, extra weight, and coolant that goes along with the 4V (all 4-Valve motors are liquid coold). The S4R (996) becomes worth it for the extra grunt and true performance, the 916 is just such an old engine.... compared to the 1000DS (2V, air-cooled) motor, there's not much benefit to be had (esp. on the street).

CCS/LRRS #83

Be prepared for 90 miles between fill ups!

Me no likey crash

Lifer

I've got to check my reciepts, those costs seem high to what I recall on my ST3. (Liquid cooled 3v, maint costs are closer to the 2v Ducs as it's a single cam.) I want to say belts are $80 to $150 a pair depending on the model they're for, belts plus valve check shouldn't be $650 labor on a 4v.
    CA Cycleworks belts are a bit cheaper than OEM, and arguably better.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
    CA Cycleworks belts are a bit cheaper than OEM, and arguably better.
    their exactfit belts are great and half the price (at least on the testa motor ones)

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

I moved from a 998 to a S2R1000 and don't regret it.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

thanks for the responses everyone. i actually spoke to eric from clubhouse this afternoon and he was a huge help. unfortunately i found out a little more from the kid selling the monster and it looks like he hasn't fully been keeping up with the scheduled maintenance so if i made the swap id be looking at belts and valve adjustments just for starters and based on the mileage of the bike it looks like alot of this stuff should have been done a year or two ago.

I wouldn't let belts and a valve check put you off the bike, just make sure the price is adjusted accordingly. In fact, I'd have the sale contingent on the maint being done and the shop that does the job saying the bike has a clean bill of health.

he was willing to make an even swap, my SV for his Ducati. I've put alot of work into the SV and its running great. If he was willing to pay for the maintenance before the switch I would've been fine with it.

I Owned my monster 620 for about a week before I replaced the belts and did my valve adjustments, and had never worked on any type of motor before. just did a lot of reading on the monster forums and watched a lot of vids, phone calls to eric...no really it was pretty simple so dont let that keep you from getting a nice 2v monster. eric has always been a help, and as a said before he does 4 seminars a year and they are free, just a couple of weeks ago i got a flat in the weirs area and was kind of stranded, who else but eric pulled up and asked if i needed any help, It was his day off so i declined but we shot the shit for a while and told me if i couldnt get help to call him ad work it out! talk about stand up guy. Ill be at the clubhouse tommorrow morning in fact getting my bike looked at before the track inspection.

Ive got a buddies monster getting stored temporarily in my garage right now, it looks awesome, sounds awesome, I'm sure it rides awesome, but it leaks fuel on my garage floor after every ride. weird...

That being said I sat on a brand new S4R the other day and man that thing is sexy.

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlief View Post
    Be prepared for 90 miles between fill ups!
    I got 130 miles last weekend on a tank, I'm actually surprised that I didn't end up pushing it, that the furthest I've ever went on a tank.

-I have 4-sail some exhaust manifolds for an S4/S4R....but, can't post them due to "the rules". real cheap, just sayin'.

-and some CRG bar-end mirrors, that would complement any Monster.

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

little experience with the 4v

the little 2v motors on the other hand are total unreliable crap boxes w/ shitty gas mileage...

Q

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

Lifer

I can get 160 miles on my 696. Having rented an SV650n (also 2007), the 696 has a ton more character, better brakes, better suspension and is more fun. The range on the SV is longer, but I can easily get 140-150miles out of a tank and likely more if I pushed it. Older monsters have a closer service interval and likely need slightly more TLC.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

the service intervals are different but only because of ducati trying to appeal to people with less money, nothing has changed to make the service intervals less than they were 2 years ago....it just sounds better to say you dont have to do a valve adjustment until this many number of miles instead of before when it was a lot closer together.

The service intervals were lengthened because Duc found there was no need to check the valves that often, and belt construction has gotten better. I've heard from multiple dealers that with most Ducs once the valves settle in they don't tend to need adjustments after the 12k mark.

Now, as to why Duc hasn't revised the intervals for their older machines to match the new stuff, beats the piss out of me?

The service intervals were lengthened because Duc found there was no need to check the valves that often, and belt construction has gotten better. I've heard from multiple dealers that with most Ducs once the valves settle in they don't tend to need adjustments after the 12k mark.

Now, as to why Duc hasn't revised the intervals for their older machines to match the new stuff, beats the piss out of me?
    Are the valve checks covered under any sort of free maintenance plan on the newer Ducs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast