Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ducati Scrambler

Re: Ducati Scrambler

Take me a week at least to clean it after all that sand in everything. Good god the horror.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I really don't see the difference between this and how Harley markets bikes. They both sell to people who think they represent a counterculture, when in fact they themselves have become a "lifestyle" (I hate that term) that is more easily marketed toward than most of us on here.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Bike wise, that thing is just as at home on dirt as any standard/naked/mild-cruiser.

Show me one with some farkles bolted to it (engine/exhaust protection from side tip overs, etc) that don't take away from the style and then we're getting somewhere.

Last edited by TheIglu; 10-03-14 at 08:46 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

If Ducati believes a particular market is large enough to bring out a product and I like it too I don't give a fuck that the target market might NOT be me. If they were targeting the +60 market they'd be bringing out a Harley...or a CanAM!

Thank the Lord for the Millennials and Hipsters!

Wonder if you could throw some adv type bags one of these and make what I wish I'd had for the Dalton in Alaska!?!?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 10-11-14 at 11:50 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I think the biggest problem for this as a Dalton (or Trans-Lab/etc) bike is the gas tank: only 3.5 gallons. That would suck halfway between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson…

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

Haters-Be-Damned, The Ducati Scrambler Is Rad

I think I've figured out what I hate most about this motorcycle; none of the Japanese brands I usually buy from made this first.

375 lbs dry
    800cc air-cooled v-twin
    EFI and ABS

Not a lot not to like right there.

I agree. It makes a lot of sense on paper. I just want to see how it rides now.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think I've figured out what I hate most about this motorcycle; none of the Japanese brands I usually buy from made this first.
    That's because the Japanese brands are currently where the Euro brands were in the early '70s: resting on their laurels and making conservative decisions. The Euros, meanwhile, have revitalized their motorcycle industry by offering bikes that are high in both style and functionality, and are not cookie cutter clones of each other.

It's going to be fascinating to see how the Japanese respond. They've already begun to with bikes like the FZ9 and Super Tenere (I always said Yamaha seemed the most willing of the Japanese manufacturers to step outside of their comfort zone…).

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Cool bikes. Too slow.

2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

This made me laugh

"Ducati offers a very large array of accessories for the Scrambler, plus apparel and lifestyle coaching. Try not to let all the Hipster marketing get in your way if you’re hateful of that trend. But if you’re into that, then be sure to notice its grooviness and that full-face helmets and modern protective wear are strictly forbidden, stylistically speaking."

I think it would be super fun to try out. Hoping to get a test ride in this summer so someone should buy one and let me ride it.

I really like Ducati. Multi, Sport Classics, Superbikes...even the Diavel is pretty awesome.....but this scrambler just dosent do it for me....

Even though they are a little bit different bike (at least in styling), I see this being in a line up with the new FZ-07. Nearly the same hp and torque numbers, non adjustable suspenders, but the fz has better brakes on paper (while also weighing a little less). Between the two, I would probably take the fz-07 all day long.

These bikes aren't my thing really. I get the draw, nice smaller bike for back road jaunts.
    And the hipster movement makes me want to shave.

The more I see it, the more I like it. And I don't like that I like it more. I don't know why.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I've gotten over the marketing aimed at someone other than me. As I said, I dig the specs.. a lot. This would make a much more stylish runabout than my sumo. Wish my commute were shorter.

The pragmatist in me keeps reminding me that a well used gen-1 SV is probably 80% the fun for 20% the cost.

Clean up the tail light, lower the bars (possibly clip ons) and add a 900SS/generic 1970's style fairing with some nice sticky tires and a little suspension tweaking........yeah, that's what I'd do if I had a few spare bucks.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Clean up the tail light, lower the bars (possibly clip ons) and add a 900SS/generic 1970's style fairing with some nice sticky tires and a little suspension tweaking........yeah, that's what I'd do if I had a few spare bucks.
    Sport Classics and Paul Smart replica.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    ...[T]he Japanese brands are currently where the Euro brands were in the early '70s: resting on their laurels and making conservative decisions.
    H2R.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

That short tail and big headlight make it look very Grom like. I'm sure it's physically bigger than a Grom though.

We Race What We Sell seacoastsport's Avatar

The Ducati Preview Tour will be at the shop on TUESDAY JANUARY 13th if you want to check out the Scrambler.

From our FB;
    The 2015 Ducati Preview Tours hits SSC on Tuesday January 13th. Stop by and check out these amazing new motorcycles. Swing a leg over the Scrambler, admire the 1299 Panigale and dream of an open road adventure on the new Multistrada 1200 between the hours of 10am and 6pm on Tuesday.

Tour Information

Seacoast Sport Cycle
    208 Rockingham Road
    Derry, NH 03038
    www.seacoastsport.com

So I rode a Scrambler today. Andy at Cyclewise was nice enough to let me out on one. It was the Icon version with the Termi slipons and up-map.

I have to say it is probably the easiest bike to operate that I have ever ridden. Impressive power and sound for an 800cc two valve. Brakes were actually really responsive and had a great feel. Clutch was super smooth and lever pull was really light. The shifts were almost too smooth, which was the closest thing to a complaint that I had about it.

I'm somewhat considering picking one up. If you get a chance to ride one, you should do it.

Just bought a hyperstrada. Similar thoughts. Gearshifts are almost imperceptible. Ducati is making some amazing streetbikes these days.

Paul_E_D

I will add, like the article mentioned too, that the seat to peg distance is short. I've been having a hip/hip flexor issue with my right leg and was hoping the Scrambler would give me some relief when riding, but it felt like me knees were up higher, closer to my chest. That was the one other thing factoring into this for me. I'm only 5'6" on a good day so I know taller people may find this a bit more of an issue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast