Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ducati ST3 Need a quick rundown, the good and the bad......

Looking to replace my Fz1 and I'm all over the map as usual. My original plan when I sold the Fz1 was to buy a R1, GSXR-1000, ZX10r to play on. Then purchase some type of larger bike (probably a HD) for longer trips, but the more I think about this plan the less likely it seems as though it will happen. Two young daughters needing palate expanders and braces will do that!
    So that led me down the road of the Hayabusa, ZX14r. Looking at Hayabusa's and ZX14's I keep telling myself I need to own of these at some point, I'm not sure if I can live with the riding position long term.

I turned to looking at more sport touring bikes, the FJR and Concours just seem too heavy and large. I found a semi local Ducati St3 has caught my eye. I have never owned a Ducati, so I'm looking for some input about 3v engine.

Wants for new bike:
    I would like a similar or increased power as my Fz1. St3 does not meet this.

Larger fuel tank

Must be able to mount some type of luggage setup, preferably hard luggage.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by duganc1717; 09-04-16 at 11:53 AM.

Re: Ducati ST3 Need a quick rundown, the good and the bad......

So, on the HP front the ST3 does only put out 105hp at the rear wheel. It has a good torque curve, and I'm convinced that with an ECU that'd allow it to run higher revs and a less restrictive header system it could be in the 130s... The 3v motor is handicapped to keep it from hanging with the 996 mill in the ST4s. I'd try the ST3 before shooting it down for lack of umph, I never found myself wanting on it even when participating in some less than intelligent group rides with sportier Ducs and others while two up. (Glad I got that out of my system now.)

So, that said, it's a good bike. Passenger and rider comfort is good, although you may not like the stock seat as it's a bit soft. The bike came with hard luggage from the factory. There is also a good top case rack available. They can be a bit rough at low RPM, especially if they haven't had the valve spring recall done. A powercommander smooths them out immensely, I suggest a summer and winter map if you ride in the cold to help with low temp starts. No real faults, the headlight is lightyears improved over the prior gen's, the charging system is more robust, the motor is a water cooled 3v version of the awesome 1000DS mill. Only reason I sold mine is I lost interest in street riding and didn't like seeing it sit unused.

It is a Pantah derivative motor, belt changes every 2 years or 12000mi IIRC, 6000mi valve check interval. It's not hard to do, once you learn the trick to getting the fairing lowers on and off it's an easy motor to access. (Valve check interval went up to 7500mi later on in the model run? MBP collets can extend that further IIRC.)

Last edited by Kurlon; 09-04-16 at 12:06 PM.

Lifer

Great bikes! Yes, much less powerful than your unleashed FZ1. But, really nice torque characteristics and has a lot of soul. With DP ECU and tuning will get as much as 117 hp at the rear wheel. It's plenty! Wagners motorsports in Worcester has the coveted ST3S with ohlins and remote preload adjustment as well as abs. 31k miles and they want $6k which is what the st3s go for. I seriously thought about changing my Vfr to the st3 after riding my friend's. I still like it a lot. A lot more character than the Japanese bikes. My friend loves his and even though he has the money did not get the new MTS.

Last edited by dankatz; 09-04-16 at 06:10 PM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I owned an '04 ST4s and a 2011 ZX14. The 14 would be my choice all day long. I have some risers if you'd like them.

Lifer

The st4s and the st3s are very different bikes. Most st3 have wet clutch 2005+ and are much smoother than the st4s. The st4s only has the advantage in the top end imho, but overall the st3 is much more rideable on a daily basis. I have not ridden the zx14 but it will probably have a ton more power but likely less comfortable

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Yeah the ST3 and ST4s are very different - my point was even the ST4s didn't do it for me, so the ST3 would be a no-go. The 14 is really comfortable bike. I'm no spring chicken and I could ride that 300 miles in a day with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I owned an '04 ST4s and a 2011 ZX14. The 14 would be my choice all day long. I have some risers if you'd like them.
    I my take you up on that offer, I'll see if I can find a seller that actually gets back k to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Yeah the ST3 and ST4s are very different - my point was even the ST4s didn't do it for me, so the ST3 would be a no-go. The 14 is really comfortable bike. I'm no spring chicken and I could ride that 300 miles in a day with no issues.
    This my concern, that it just won't entertain me in the go department.

Lifer

I see. I think if you like inline 4's than definitely the zx14 and gsx1300 are much faster bikes and likely handle just as well if not better than the st3. If you are going for a different experience, the Italians exude more character in my opinion. Try them and see what you like.

What about a k1300s?

'15 Mutistrada S
    2009 Husquvarna WR 167

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifer

K1300S may be a little on the higher end of the budget, I suspect judging by the original post. But, a bike that is slightly more comfortable than the ZX14/Hayabusha and can be setup with luggage/helibars is the CBR1100XX (Blackbird). People love them! The 2002+ have digital instruments and they have been fuel injected since '99. Also, supposedly, very very smooth engine. Minor niggles typically already addressed by now: R/R and CCT's.

I had a K1300S too. Just traded that in for a new bike this season. The K1300S would be better than both, yes - IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    K1300S may be a little on the higher end of the budget, I suspect judging by the original post. But, a bike that is slightly more comfortable than the ZX14/Hayabusha and can be setup with luggage/helibars is the CBR1100XX (Blackbird). People love them! The 2002+ have digital instruments and they have been fuel injected since '99. Also, supposedly, very very smooth engine. Minor niggles typically already addressed by now: R/R and CCT's.
    You could pick up a k1200s for relatively cheap. Just stay away from 2006

'15 Mutistrada S
    2009 Husquvarna WR 167

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifer

Of course, there is also this 2010 Honda VFR1200F
    I guess figure out your budget and go by that. There are some great deals out there. The ST3 is on the level of the VFR 800 in terms of handling/sportiness, but the motor is torquier and slightly more powerful. I love my VFR, but you may find it too slow compared to your unleashed FZ1. It is plenty comfortable for touring and fast enough for the street. Both the VFR and STR3 have huge tanks (22 liters and 21 liters) which make for a nice range. Last tank I filled up on my VFR was at 240 miles of mixed mild riding including highway

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you like the FZ stick with Japanese stuff and get a Busa or 14. These will take a bit of setup to fit you but once done are super comfortable and effective machines. The k1200 is a similar bike but euro and $.

Give that VFR1200 a spin. Easily as much go as your FZ, not nearly as big as a FJR or the like, and already has hard luggage. The power and brakes on those bikes are incredible.

As long as you're looking at used options., the Triumph Sprint GT is in the league with the ST3. It has a bit more power and the 1050 triple is smooth & bullet proof. Comes with luggage, too.

The main advantage of the Ducati ST bikes is that they are about as light and nimble as a sport-tourer can be. The perfect bike for the type of touring that emphasizes sport and looks for the tight twisty roads. Say, if you wanted to do the Tail of the Dragon two-up, or one-up but was going to ride there with luggage from New England.

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    ... This my concern, that it just won't entertain me in the go department.
    Yes, there are many bikes with more power than the ST3. I will offer the unsolicited opinion, though, that if an ST3 doesn't have enough power to entertain you, you might ought to re-assess the way you are riding on the street. It's got more than enough power to go suicidally fast on public roads.

PhilB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    The main advantage of the Ducati ST bikes is that they are about as light and nimble as a sport-tourer can be. The perfect bike for the type of touring that emphasizes sport and looks for the tight twisty roads. Say, if you wanted to do the Tail of the Dragon two-up, or one-up but was going to ride there with luggage from New England.

Yes, there are many bikes with more power than the ST3. I will offer the unsolicited opinion, though, that if an ST3 doesn't have enough power to entertain you, you might ought to re-assess the way you are riding on the street. It's got more than enough power to go suicidally fast on public roads.

PhilB
    I did not start this thread to have anyone assess my riding style, thank you very much. I've been riding long enough to have pretty good idea of what amuses me.

Just as I could never be content driving a 4cylinder Camcord, I have certain requirements when purchasing a motorcycle. One of those being the giggle factor coming from accelerating hard, no giggle equals no purchase!

Lifer

... no giggle equals no purchase!
    Amen!

Try the ST3, I too enjoy a bike that can kick the lizard portion of my brain into going 'oh shit, this just got real' and the ST3 could do it for me. Unlike most inline 4s while it didn't have the same peak rush, there was no wind up, you grabbed a handful and it happened NOW.

Lifer

You have to go into the scooter class to get into camcord performance.
    I demo'ed a 35 HP R3 this summer and found it perfectly capable of breaking any US speed limit I can think of with ease.
    We live in an era where utilitarian motorcycles drop 0-60 times under 4 seconds.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Welp, here ya go. The ST3 is summed up best by the folks that work on them daily. "You get all the headache of a 4-valve to have neither the top end of a superbike or the simplicity of a 2V."

I would strongly recommend looking for an ST2 over the 3. IMO it is a much better bike to own, especially if you plan to do the maintenance. FWIW I have a really nice one that's getting a fresh top end... and high comps, and nichols' cylinder studs... and adjustable cams... and a light flywheel... although in all honestly '99-00 is the best years to own. Mine's a '98 with a funky single-phase electrical system.

Last edited by scottieducati; 09-07-16 at 01:40 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

I have certain requirements when purchasing a motorcycle. One of those being the giggle factor coming from accelerating hard, no giggle equals no purchase!
    You want giggle get the Hayabusa. It's been leading the pack since 1999.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ducati ST3 Need a quick rundown, the good and the bad......-img_0431-jpg  

TIMMYDUCK

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Welp, here ya go. The ST3 is summed up best by the folks that work on them daily. "You get all the headache of a 4-valve to have neither the top end of a superbike or the simplicity of a 2V."

I would strongly recommend looking for an ST2 over the 3. IMO it is a much better bike to own, especially if you plan to do the maintenance. FWIW I have a really nice one that's getting a fresh top end... and high comps, and nichols' cylinder studs... and adjustable cams... and a light flywheel... although in all honestly '99-00 is the best years to own. Mine's a '98 with a funky single-phase electrical system.
    Isn't the ST2 down 25hp in the rear wheel compared to the ST3? I know they have good torque.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

The ST3 definitely has more top end. The ST2 runs out of breath somewhere around 110-120 mph (at least mine does, or did, before the recent work... I presume it will have a bit more power everywhere). For me, nowhere ever do I need any of that power to ride above those speeds. The ST2 delivers low-end torque that outpaces the ST3 and they're fairly even on mid-range grunt.

The problem lies in ST3 is the ONLY 3-valve engine. Not many people are good at servicing them, you need different parts for some of the valve train, and I just don't see the advantage over the ST2. IF you want something a bit more beastly, buy an ST4S and get the real deal 175 mph missile. The ST3 is a compromise, and they are never made without drawbacks.

IMO the ST2 also sounds far better than either the 3 or the 4. It is the best sounding bike I have ever owned, and I know that opinion is not solely my own.

CCS/LRRS #83

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast