Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati ST4S opinions

Ducati ST4S opinions

Almost have the FJR sold, it was just too big a bike for what I want.
    I need to replace it with something a bit lighter, but still decent for two ups with two larger people. True sport type bikes need not apply, or I'd pick up a Tuono Factory.
    Anyway, I keep falling back toward an 04-06 ST4S. I know these things are maintenance queens, but if you keep up with what is needed, are they reliable, and for how long? Can I get 100k out of one?? The other bike on the radar is a Guzzi, but it isn't as "fun" but fits the bill otherwise.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Falko; 04-08-13 at 08:10 AM. Reason: decided to use English

Re: Ducati ST4S opinions

I had an 04 ST3, and got to compare it to a friend's first gen FJR. The ST3 is noticeably lighter, but still offers good wind protection and didn't have the leg baking issue the early FJRs had. The FJR had more torque, and the transmission shifted much smoother on the FJR than the ST3. That said, the ST3 could still outrun the FJR, and out handled it by a decent amount. FJR had more room in the bags. Passengers liked both bikes evenly.

Now, the ST4S has the 4v 996 motor compared to my DS1000 derived 3v 992 mill. I'll see if I can find my comparison dyno from back in the day, basically the ST3 had a slight edge in low end torque, they'd then run neck and neck up to 9500 RPM at which point my ST3's engineered in choke points capped it at 105hp while the rev limiter spoiled the party, the ST4S kept pulling into the 120hp range. Had I hung onto it, there was discussion amongst a few of my gear head bike friends about a better header system and a tweaked ECU with a higher rev limit to see if the ST3 could actually fully go toe to toe with the ST4S...

The ST4S will have a better shock than my ST3 sported, otherwise should be pretty similar. My machine was reliable, and wasn't a maint queen by any stretch of the imagination. By the book, valve checks every 6000mi originally, I *think* the ST4S was still on the market when Duc widened the interval to 7500mi? Belts every two years or 12000mi, whichever comes first. Based on observation of the ST3 and ST4S motors, you can very safely extend the valve check interval to 12000mi after break in unless you like to bounce it off the rev limiter 24x7.

The only Duc I've seen near the 100k mile mark was an 851, it was still running but getting hard to dial in the CO emmissions to clean up the low end fueling. Ended up needing new valves after frying a couple exhausts. New valves, cleaned up seats and it was still running strong at that point.

Thanks. Seems the ST4 was a 916 motor and ST4S was the 996. Given the maintenance would be similar, I'd rather get the ST4S. You are the third person to mention the ST3 might be a better option given the maintenance intervals. Know the difference between the ST3 and the ST3s? Suspension upgrades maybe?
    My FJR is a GenII and I don't expect to match the torque of that motor, nor the upper end hp. I just want something that is going to handle better and be sportier, but still have that ability for two up breakfast runs without wifey getting upset.
    Thanks for your insight, it is greatly appreciated.

ST3 to ST3S got you upgraded suspension, 5 spoke (slightly lighter) instead of 3 spoke wheels and ABS.

One other note, the ST3/3S/4S do have a 'sportier' ergo setup as well, sit on one back to back with the FJR before settling on one. The reason my friend went with the FJR after riding my ST3 was his short arms/back, the ST3 required him to be in more of a sport tuck/lean than he wanted. I'm 5'10" and I found it comfortable, I also had the clipons lowered all the way down.

Last edited by Kurlon; 04-08-13 at 10:51 AM.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Do it and never look back!

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

OK, i have switched bikes with my friends ST3 (Termi package - 117hp at RW) and he rode my VFR. The engine is plenty - even two up. I seriously looked into getting an ST4S. If you take the bags off, raise the exhaust and lower the handlebars (all standard adjustments) you can covert it to a comfortable sports bike. I researched this forever thinking of switching my bike. The ST3 seems to have the edge in the city in terms of smoothness and slight edge in maintenance. The ST4S has the edge in the upper RPM range. You can also get an ST3S ABS (last year 2007) which my friend did - he replaced his dry clutch 2004 ST3. The ST3 has plenty of character compared to the Japanese bikes. Overall, decided my VFR would be more reliable and just has not real drawbacks.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Wifey Happy good.
    I got rid of my my huge sport tourer too.
    I don't miss it.

I think the ST4S is a great sport touring bike with a big focus on the sport. I would not call it a maintenance queen though... to your point, keep up on it and they will last. Who knows who long they will last - you don't see to many "high mileage" Ducatis. I would suggest because most people don't ride them versus any reliability issues. The bike pulls smooth and very hard from 4 - 9.5K. I commute on mine and the hard bags are great - my briefcase/laptop fit nicely.

Plug for mine which is for sale. A little older than what you are looking for. Not sure why you settled on the '04+ the only big changes are the ABS option and a wet clutch I think in '05.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...highlight=st4s

The 04+ got revised fairings that make servicing easier (don't have to pop the upper off to remove the lower, etc) and a MUCH better headlight assembly*.

* The new headlight assembly functions great, aesthetically some feel it makes the bike look more 'Honda-ish'

The highest mileage Ducati I've seen is Gary Eagan's ST4, on which he set a number of endurance riding records in the early 2000's. It's now in the Barber museum, with about 225K on it. The main thing with the Ducs is maintenance. It's not that big a deal to do it -- a little more than a normal bike, but not a lot more. But you do have to do it. They don't handle neglect well.

The ST series were all good bikes. I'd say getting one that's been taken good care of and has good maintenance records is more important than which type you get.

I've seen at least half a dozen Ducs with over 100K (in addition to my own), mostly early '90's Monsters and Supersports. They'll do it if you (a) take decent care of it, and (b) get out and ride that damn thing.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 04-08-13 at 07:25 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The 04+ got revised fairings that make servicing easier (don't have to pop the upper off to remove the lower, etc) and a MUCH better headlight assembly*.

* The new headlight assembly functions great, aesthetically some feel it makes the bike look more 'Honda-ish'
    I also thought the models previous to 2004 were more prone to some electrical problems?

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

My 2003 ST4S defines Sport Touring in my opinion. All day, all weather, all roads. Except the city. It's a handful, with lousy steering lock; turning radius is huge.
    It's very high geared, for 160mph in top. 6th gear is too high for legal highway speeds.
    The headlamp sucks (older pre 2004 type).
    The motor, gearbox, handling and brakes are simply awesome. Feel and stability and serious torque from 3k to 9k. Don't compare other sport-tourers to this one on a twisty fast road. It's at least 100lbs lighter and built from the ground up to be a proper Ducati.
    The wife loves it! Comfortable and capacious.
    Maintenance is routine; just look after the belts & valves. Pay someone $900 every 2 years if you can't do it yourself. Nothing else about this bike is weird or fragile.
    Change the rear sprocket to lower the gearing.
    Upgrade the headlamp — Ducati Designs make one perfect replacement. Colour matched too.
    That's it. If I rave, forgive me; this thing is the best Sporting all-rounder I've ever ridden.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Triumph Sprint GT...there's a new leftover 2012 sitting down at Suzuki-Triumph with a great price on it. Don't buy until you've ridden one of the best all-around motors for that kind of riding, the venerable 1050 triple.

And the headlights work pretty damned good.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Yeah but I've heard not so favorable reviews on gt suspensions, and it is higher priced than my fjr and trying to flip down in cost. Believe me, hey were on the list.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

The GT is a nice bike, but not everything that should have been sorted out was sorted out (hence the low sales volume). I think Triumph took the wrong direction by trying to make it more touring than sports. How many of us would buy it if they sorted out the suspension and other minor niggles? Looks at the ST3/4, VFR, etc... for the price it would have been in a category by itself (a little different then the FZ1/Ninja 1000). In any case, I would either go for an ST3S with termi (117hp in rear wheel - same as the ST4S) or an ST4S of 2004+ vintage.

Smile Re: Ducati ST4S opinions

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    OK, i have switched bikes with my friends ST3 (Termi package - 117hp at RW) and he rode my VFR. The engine is plenty - even two up. I seriously looked into getting an ST4S. If you take the bags off, raise the exhaust and lower the handlebars (all standard adjustments) you can covert it to a comfortable sports bike. I researched this forever thinking of switching my bike. The ST3 seems to have the edge in the city in terms of smoothness and slight edge in maintenance. The ST4S has the edge in the upper RPM range. You can also get an ST3S ABS (last year 2007) which my friend did - he replaced his dry clutch 2004 ST3. The ST3 has plenty of character compared to the Japanese bikes. Overall, decided my VFR would be more reliable and just has not real drawbacks.
    Hi there, I'm interested in your comment regarding the handlebars. How did you lower them? I have a 2001 ST4s - first Ducati, and totally love it! Mods include Sargent seat, Ducati Designs headlights and carbon Staintunes. The handlebars could be lower, though. Any advice? Thanks, and happy riding.
    GrahameR.

Lifer

Hi Grahame. I don't know if the handlebars are adjustable on the earlier models - I am not sure. They were on the 2004-2007 models (different body style and electronics as well). Given that your bike has a Sargent seat and these modifications, take a careful look at the handlebars to see that they don't have the cycle cat bar risers or the helibars. Enjoy the ST4S!

Had 72k on my ST2 before I traded it for my first Multi...

Full disclosure...the motor was a Kyle/BCM built motor. Baddest assed sounding bike I've ever owned. I miss it even today....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I had a 2003 or 2004 ST4s for a couple of years. I didn't put enough miles on it to provide feedback on longer term maintenance but as far as a ride I loved it. It was plenty fast and IMO had a great sound right out of the box. I did have to change out the front sprocket for better round' town riding but I enjoyed the hell out of the low end on that bike. Pretty comfy as I recall also.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Hi Grahame. I don't know if the handlebars are adjustable on the earlier models - I am not sure. They were on the 2004-2007 models (different body style and electronics as well). Given that your bike has a Sargent seat and these modifications, take a careful look at the handlebars to see that they don't have the cycle cat bar risers or the helibars. Enjoy the ST4S!
    Thanks for your speedy reply! I've taken a good look at the 'bars, and it looks like there's no movement there. No worries, though, it was only a minor consideration. I'll enjoy the bike as it is . . . and you can't go past the glorious exhaust note! Happy riding.
    Grahame.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahameR View Post
    Thanks for your speedy reply! I've taken a good look at the 'bars, and it looks like there's no movement there. No worries, though, it was only a minor consideration. I'll enjoy the bike as it is . . . and you can't go past the glorious exhaust note! Happy riding.
    Grahame.
    I want to say people used to swap clipons with the Sport Classic to change the bar height on the earlier ST...