Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati Streetfighter

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Ducati Streetfighter

Anyone here ride one? I'd like to get feedback on handling. I know some of us have been out on a controlled demo ride, but that yields nothing helpful. Who has taken it out on twisties and ripped it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

Re: Ducati Streetfighter

I ripped it on a demo ride. Got up to 135... I would think that would tell you something.

I hated the heat shield near your right foot. Other than that I felt the bike was very nice. Taller than my 998 and a more comfortable reach to the bars. Plenty of torque but I felt I sat up on it too high... I like to be in the bike rather than on it.

Oh and it feels like your head is right over the front wheel... took me a minute to get used to it.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

It will look totally bad-ass posed on Newbury, and that's all that matters.

CCS/LRRS #83

So did you put down the deposit yet?

If I know you......

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Rode one. Glad I saved my money.

Stock suspension is soft for a Duc...I didn't get a chance to set it up though. Did the same ride as Doc, only make it to 130...the engine is excellent!
    Def. a different seating position, but very comfy, and the bike handles very well. I'd like to get one in a couple years.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I ripped it on a demo ride. Got up to 135... I would think that would tell you something.

I hated the heat shield near your right foot. Other than that I felt the bike was very nice. Taller than my 998 and a more comfortable reach to the bars. Plenty of torque but I felt I sat up on it too high... I like to be in the bike rather than on it.

Oh and it feels like your head is right over the front wheel... took me a minute to get used to it.
    I agrre the heat shield kept making my foot fall off the peg.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post

Really? Did you go in expecting an FZR competitor? Rather curious now as to what you did and didn't like as I thought it was a fun machine.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is this to replace the hyper? If you don't have anything 2 up in mind then go for it. I loved it and the kick out is no worse than the passenger pegs on the hyper.

As for twisties I didn't get too much but the power is unfuckingbeliveable.

I have nothing but good things to say about it as it's the only bike I would consider adding to the garage.

Today proved to me though that the only bike that could ever replace the hyper would be the new multi but not an option right now for me.

I'll trade my 998 for the Hyper...

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post

I was really looking forward to trying it, had a chance to take it for a real nice long ride, wrung it out on some awesome roads...but came away extremely disappointed. I've now had a chance to ride every current model Duc (except for the Multi), and the Streetfighter is by far my least favorite.

First problem that stuck with me was that it had possibly the wonkiest ergos I've ever experienced on a motorcycle, and it wasn't just the odd heat shield that turned me off. It's like it can't decide whether it wants to be a standard or a superbike. I just couldn't get comfortable on it. The bars look wide and low, so you would think it would be at least a little similar to the Monster, but not even close. I don't know if it was just trying too hard to be really aggressive...when I was done, I hopped back on my ZX-10R and felt more relaxed.

It also has a ridiculous amount of vibration for a street bike, I couldn't keep it in the high rev range, felt like it was going to shake me right off. The superbikes are much more tame in this regard, and the M1100 and Hyper both felt infinitely smoother (different motor, I know, but the naked twin comparison is relevant).

The fueling was slightly notchy (on-off throttle was jumpy), but otherwise, the bike was okay. The handling felt pretty tight, slightly firm for the roads I was pushing it on, but never felt like it would let go. Feels like there's a lot of weight over the front end. Acceleration was ridiculous as expected, but I felt like I constantly had to shift to keep the revs low (and the bike smooth).

Basically, I can't really recommend it without first suggesting you try something else like the M1100, Tuono, 1125CR, or Brutale first. Honestly, the Buell was my favorite out of that bunch, it really did everything right, and felt just as high-end as the others. But any of these options felt better than the Streetfighter.

My next bike will prolly be either the Streetfighter or the Brutale. Even before reading this, and having ridden neither of them yet, Im leaning HEAVILY to the Brutale. I have owned 2 MV's before so Im quite familiar with the brand and the ergos/styling. Im attracted to the smoothness of the Brutale over the vibes of the Streetfighter...

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Basically, I can't really recommend it without first suggesting you try something else like the M1100, Tuono, 1125CR, or Brutale first. Honestly, the Buell was my favorite out of that bunch, it really did everything right, and felt just as high-end as the others. But any of these options felt better than the Streetfighter.
    I like this better than the Duc sf i rode.

I ride a custom fighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Really? Did you go in expecting an FZR competitor? Rather curious now as to what you did and didn't like as I thought it was a fun machine.
    I went in with an open mind and fully expecting to drop 15k on a bike however it started and ended with the exhaust heat sheild. For me, being able to ride and control a motorcycle without hard parts getting in the way is critical. I rode that thing literally for 100' and was ready to turn around but figured I'd really give the bike a chance so I continued on.

Motor was nice with plenty of power and breathing room yet the ergos were borderline Triumph 1150-ish, which works for some but doesn't work for me. Pegs seemed too high up in relation to the bars yet the bars felt placed well.

Some of the switches looked, felt and operated cheaply. The buttons just didn't have the refinement I expected from a machine of that status.

I found the handling to show potential but I chose not to lean it only because I was on borrowed equipment. From what I was able to experience, it felt pretty good.

In all honesty I expected so much more from that machine but the few minor details I mention is what killed it for me. I'd go so far as to say that the heat sheild alone is what did it......and yes I realize the fix for that is simple but the last thing I want to to is drop 15k on a bike and then have to modify it as soon as I get home.

The service intervals were a bit of a turnoff. Going from bikes that can travel 24,000 miles between valve clearance checks and/ or adjustments is alot easier to accept than having to get in there every 7500 for checks and adjustments. So at the end of the day, was I expecting an FZ1 competitor? No, not the FZ1 in particular but my experience on the Streetfighter made me realize how I have grown to appreciate the quality, predicatbility and performance the Jap bikes can offer and all at a fraction of the overall cost of ownership.

The heat shield is the one big goof in my opinion as well, first thing I noticed, and the one thing I remember almost everyone mentioning. I know there are spacer kits to move that peg out a touch, I dunno if anyone has figured out any other way to solve that problem yet.

On the maint intervals, I was told to check the valves at 6k, and then you can go 12k between checks without a problem. Typically IF they're going to move they'll move at the 6k interval and stay from there. (If you thrash the everloving PISS out of the motor that's different.)