Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Went to Duc's, Laconia

Posting Freak

Went to Duc's, Laconia

I went to the Ducati shop in Laconia today. Nice little set up, very hard to find though.

I just wanted to broaden my horizons on bikes. I got into a really good conversation with the guys that work there. They were saying they have a good core of women riders...that people my height 5'3 can fit on there 749 and 800's, especially in the Monster. Friggin' prices though....

They do women track days also...they fill up to the point that they only have 10 spots reserved for non-ducs.

I can't believe winter is coming before I can ride again...damnit!!

So what do people say? My main issue is that I want a bike a little heavier than my 500, meaning I want to feel more solid on the road...not get blown around as much....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Getting back into the game! Looking for my next bike!

Couple of things...

The guys at BCM are great, I bought my first bike there, albeit a 83 GS450. Bruce runs a great dealership, I'm a big fan of single brand dealers.

As far as a slightly larger, more stable motorcycle, I would necessarily jump to the conclusion that a heavier bike is going to feel more stable at highway speeds and less effected by buffeting. To a point this may be the case, but it's by no means a rule. I find that my RS is way more stable than my FJ1200 was, even though the FJ has got something like 100# on the RS.

Now bear in mind that I'm a Triumph pimp, but if it were me and I was looking for a smokin' deal on a naked or a sportbike I'd at least check out the Triumph Speed4. You can pick one up right now for around $6500 and have a bike that corners quite well, has just a shade over 100 hp and you can ride it all day long.

As much as I love the sound of a twin I just can't justify the entry price to ride a duc.

That's my 0.02 and probably worth about as much.

Keep the rubber side down,

Nate
    00SprintRS

Posting Freak

Went to Duc's, Laconia

We weren't necessarily talking about weight but also torque and wheel size. My bike has narrow wheels. I want something that is going to be good in the twisties, and when I do trackdays with it won't drag parts....

Its nice just to go talk to friendly people who aren't pushing to sell...

Went to Duc's, Laconia

Suzuki SV (S) 650

You can find lots of good deals on these..new and used.

The naked and 1/4 faired are the same bike with a couple of minor differences.

Pearldog

or you could wait and get the new Suszuki V-strom 650...SV motor with a trailie attitude.

Last edited by Pearldog; 11-19-03 at 11:16 PM.

Went to Duc's, Laconia

an SV650? awesome in twisties, still a bit light for the highway.. a bandit 1200 ? steady on the highway, but might get a bit cumbersome after a long day in the twisties.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Went to Duc's, Laconia

Beth, I'd HIGHLY suggest the SV also if you're thinking of upgrading. They're a dime a dozen and there's some incredible deals out there, even new...

Did someone say bulletproof? Randy's is only 3 years old and he's got over 80,000 miles on it without any MAJOR servicing. Not bad considering he tips in at about 300 lbs. w/ all his gear and accessories...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Went to Duc's, Laconia

oh..I forgot...

The SV is a helluv alot cheaper to buy,run,own than a Duc. Check out this site..

www.svrider.com

Went to Duc's, Laconia

plus they're wicked cool.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Went to Duc's, Laconia

Originally posted by T-595 Greg
    almost as cool as a Speed Triple.. c'mon T you know you want one
    shut up!
    shutupshutupshutup!
    nananannanaa, i can't hear you...

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Lifer

Went to Duc's, Laconia

If you really want stability on the highway the best suggestion so far was the Sprint ST.

You're not looking for weight so much as longer wheelbase and a little more rake and trail, and a full fairing. If you really think you're going to be on the highway a bunch a sport-tourer is better than an all out sportbike, so Sprint ST, VFR, Futura, ST2/3/4, etc.. will be pretty good.

Don't know about the SV650S that much but the naked SV is not too good on the highway, it will get blown around just as much as your 500, maybe more if you have a fully faired 500.

The SV is probably your best bet if you don't have a lot of riding experience though and are just trying to switch bikes fast to get something more cool, it is a great bike. But it's not that great if you want to do 150-mile stretches of highway at 90mph on a regular basis.

edit: Oops.. guess the suggestion was for the Speed4. That thing can't be any better than the SV on the highway. The Sprints should definitely be though.

Ben

Went to Duc's, Laconia

Cowboy why a Duc? Just curious??

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Everybody to the limit!

Went to Duc's, Laconia

'cause people who ride Euro are waaaaay cooler

Mhmm. Their wallets are lighter, so they sweat less

Went to Duc's, Laconia

'cause people who ride Euro are waaaaay cooler

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Posting Freak

Went to Duc's, Laconia

If you really think you're going to be on the highway a bunch a sport-tourer is better than an all out sportbike
    Who likes to ride the high-way? I don't...!!!

I get blown around on the Kanc. and 118 around here. I just want a more stability...I love my little bike, its great....but when an SUV goes by me in the other land at 50mph, I definatly feel it...

Cowboy why a Duc? Just curious??
    It was suggested to me to go look at them. They are a little heavier but the Monster and ....i can't remember, are adjustable to height...since i am only 5'3. I know other bikes are adjustable aslo, and I am going to do my research into other products. I was just down in Laconia and stopped by to chat with the people at Ducati. I don't think that at this time in my life I could or want to afford a Duc. They have some pretty cool models though.

Plus it's all about looking cool....right? ....j/k

I did want an SV to be my first bike...that's what I was looking at....but my used bike was a little more in my range...and being a beginner...

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Went to Duc's, Laconia

I'd get an SV if you like Ducs. They are basically a cheaper to own (especially when it comes to maintenance) and more refined copy of a Monster. If you are 5'3, you are somewhat limited by seat height though and a n SV may be too tall to ride comfortably. That's something you'll need to decide for yourself.

The "problem" with your 500 being blown around is the slab sided styling. It has very straight sides which act like sails. A lumpier (kind of a classic female shape when viewed from above) profile seems less susceptible to this sort of buffeting, in my limited experience.

One solution is to relax and live with the buffeting. A relaxed grip on the bars will reduce it dramatically. It's not nearly as unnerving as pushing the front end in a fast corner...

Went to Duc's, Laconia

and another thing....

regarding SV seat height....as you can see on the SV rider site...there are alot of people who will swap the stock seat for a Corbin, etc. or just get the stock seat shaved down. There are also some folks who have actually had the SV lowered a bit.

As many above have said..you should go with what feels the most comfortable for you and your riding style...go seat on a few different ones...

Doesn't Freedom Cycles in Laconia carry Suzuki along with Honda? Check out Honda's version aswell..it has been a huge seller in Europe..FWIW ..plus there is the Kawa dealer between Freedom and BCM.

Posting Freak

Went to Duc's, Laconia

I plan on sitting on a lot of different bikes...

The SV650 was too tall for me....they did make the suggestions of shaving the seat, and seeing what they could do to lowering it since i was accustomed to sitting on a hard leather saddle all day long..

Yamaha R6 felt really nice...I could touch the ground firmly with all ten toes and it felt nice and light...

I didn't sit one any duc's yesterday...i didn't want them to fall over in the show room! too much money

I'm just excited to explore the possibilities this winter...I can't afford anything right now...but this winter is for firguring out what I want that fits me personally and what fits the budget...

Student loans are hitting me next month....$16,000 in debt...ya for me!

Went to Duc's, Laconia

the Duc M600 and now M620 are lower in the US than in europe, specificly targeting the shorter woman rider, the first year they introduced the M600 here, they had a special edition "revlon pink" model. the SV is kinda tall, the only reason I can get be feet on the ground is cause I weight so much I settle the suspension

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Went to Duc's, Laconia

Go with the R6

Yamaha

Posting Freak

Went to Duc's, Laconia

Originally posted by R7
    Go with the R6
    only if its yours...

Went to Duc's, Laconia

only if its yours...
    If you're a good girl, maybe he'll let you sit on his R7.

14" Biceps. So what if I am weak...

Went to Duc's, Laconia

They were saying they have a good core of women riders...that people my height 5'3 can fit on there 749 and 800's,
    I have seen riders ~5'5" riding GSXR1000's. Of course, they tip-toe at stop-lights. I think you would have trouble on a Ducati 749 though.

I believe BMW makes lower seats for some of their models. Cruisers are always an option also. SV650, the new FZ6, Honda 599, Speed 4, and new GS500 are also options.

14" Biceps. So what if I am weak...