Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ear plugs vs. noise cancelling ear buds

Re: ear plugs vs. noise cancelling ear buds

That's fine...$50 for 4-5 years is still worth it for me...right now I spend around $20/yea on disposable ear plugs

And the exhaust is loud...but once I get past 60 or so, the wind is the annoyance with my helmet

Golden chicken - if you could pull that info it would be much apprciated!

I was thinking about ear plugs molded over headphones...but I can't imagine it being as good at noise reduction as sealed off ear plugs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted (iPhone)

I have both Polk Audio and Audio Technica noise cancelling earbuds that I use in conjunction with my Chatterbox. They both do a fair job at reducing the noise from the bike but, because the sensor is not in the earbuds themselves, do nothing about wind noise n the helmet. Since they both fit tightly, they are somewhat effective at reducing wind noise as 'noise blockers' so the combined effect allows me to listen to music at up to 85 or so. Most of the time, for shorter rides, I just use the foam ear plugs the OP had pictured in his first post.

Last edited by DucDave; 10-23-13 at 08:21 PM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Here's the webpage for the earplugs I got. The guy's contact info is at the bottom of the page.

http://earplugs.zacaw.com/#Custom Hearing Protection

I could never get the disposable earplugs to stay put in my ear when I put my helmet on. The custom molded ones do a much better job.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

You guys talking about wind noise like its something so terrible. I usually ride with my visor open for speeds below 80mph. I actually enjoy playing around with what the wind does and the sounds it makes if I turn the helmet on different directions.
    I got a very nice and expensive exhaust for my street bike why wouldn't I want to hear it more?
    I really don't understand the logic behind this. I guess it's bad in the long run... But that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Here's the webpage for the earplugs I got. The guy's contact info is at the bottom of the page.

http://earplugs.zacaw.com/#Custom Hearing Protection

I could never get the disposable earplugs to stay put in my ear when I put my helmet on. The custom molded ones do a much better job.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    You guys talking about wind noise like its something so terrible. I usually ride with my visor open for speeds below 80mph. I actually enjoy playing around with what the wind does and the sounds it makes if I turn the helmet on different directions.
    I got a very nice and expensive exhaust for my street bike why wouldn't I want to hear it more?
    I really don't understand the logic behind this. I guess it's bad in the long run... But that's about it.
    I have a really bad hearing loss in my left ear and I don't care how nice my Leo Vince sound on my R1. Once you lose your hearing you can't gain it back and I'm only 35. I don't wear a hearing aid for fun and I'm only trying to protect what hearing I have left.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yeah that hearing shit is waaay overrated.........
    Trust me, start wearing plugs when your young. I started wearing ear plugs in my early 20's after I started to develop ringing in my ears after highway runs, very glad that I did back then and did not wait.

I guess it's bad in the long run... But that's about it.
    ummm, yep I'd say that's a pretty big deal. You can't get your hearing back once it's gone, and like others have said, I don't want to be in my 30s wearing hearing aids. I wear active noise reduction headsets every day at work, and they're worth every penny. If I go on rides that aren't just around town, I always throw ear plugs in for protection.

2006 DRZ400SM

Lifer

I try very hard to run earplugs when riding. I was on a kick for a while where I did almost every time I expected to be on the bike for more than 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately I have stopped that habit. I need to restart it. Especially with my new bike/toy as it seems to be much louder.

One issue is I used the cheapie disposable foam plugs. I loose things, so investing in custom plugs I'd loose seemed foolish. But the foamies are a PITA to put in your ears when trying to quickly suit up and get on the road. Especially when running late or on a group ride with others.

I imagine custom plugs are easier to put on.

I run a Scala headset in my helmet, very similar to the Sena. I borrowed a Sena SMH5 for a week recently. It is way, way better than the Scala. The audio is clearer, the volume goes higher, and the controls are easier to use. With the Scala I have to max the volume out on the interstate with ear plugs in. It distorts audio at this level. The Sena seems more powerful and does not have this problem.

Scala + ear plugs works okay.
    Sena + ear plugs works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Yes, I run full custom earplugs and it was like Bubs was in my psyche at Deal's Gap all week.
    Ha ha. That was fun. Nothing like having an editorial conversation about the finer points of the southern, red-neck lifestyle between twisty sets.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Huh, I figured we all wore ear plugs. I can't imagine riding more than 35 MPH without them; why would anyone want to suffer hearing loss? That said, noise protection has never factored into any of helmet purchases because I wear ear plugs, Perhaps there are helmets that are quiet enough to not require them.

Lifer

It's one of those "old enough to know better, still too young to care" kinds of things. I know I'm supposed to wear the earplugs. I just get lazy and don't.
    Same goes for gear. I know jeans aren't 'gear'. Still.. it happens.

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

Any ride over 5 minutes gets earplugs. I use disposables and buy in bulk, but you can reuse them a few times. Gate riding without them, especially if I'm at highway speeds

Ya I really don't think riding can cause that much damage to hearing loss on its own. I know people ego ride 35+ years and don't even know what ear plugs look like. And they can hear just fine. There are more important things to worry about IMO.

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

Ya I really don't think riding can cause that much damage to hearing loss on its own. I know people ego ride 35+ years and don't even know what ear plugs look like. And they can hear just fine. There are more important things to worry about IMO.
    False. Riding can and does cause hearing damage

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Any hard and loud noise can. I doubt riding is any more harmful than going to 40 concerts a year or spending 3+ nights a week at a night club.
    Mind you my opinion is based on no scientific evidence just personal experiences of what I have seen around.

I don't wear gear cause I'm not plannin to crash.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Bubs, I've had the same set of custom earplugs for however many years. They are just about done as one is starting to crack at a stress point from taking it on and off. They come in a little case that stays in my "key" pocket of my riding jacket. From what I recall, I don't think you guys ever had to wait for me to get my earplugs in while suiting up.

I used to run foam earplugs. I'll never go back to those. Easy to lose, slow to get in, shifts when you put your helmet on/off.

Once you start wearing custom earplugs, you won't EVER "forget" to put them in again.

You all who run no earplugs would be amazed at how much more enjoyable riding is with them. I started running them for racing/trackdays only. Once I started on the street, I wondered how I managed so long without them. Even foam earplugs are a big bonus. The next natural step is nice custom made ones. Well worth the $$$. I'll be getting a new set (or two) made this winter along with a new helmet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I'm 35 years old, I have lost a good chunk of my high frequency hearing, along with some of my ability to pick out one voice from a crowd. Yeah, riding really can cause that much damage.

I'm one that believes that ear plugs are not necessary, a quiet helmet with no sharp wind edges does not produce significant noise, it is a compromise, quiet helmets generally don't vent as well, a terrycloth or similar chin curtain will cut wind noise to nil

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Concerts, Machinery, 40 years of riding, hot rods, race cars, shooting and I am 52 and I say WHAT? way more than I would like too. It's not 'cool' to be the one hard of hearing in group situations. ( where it in my case is the worse ) Also that constant ringing in my ears SUCKS !!! I wish I was smarter when I was younger. I've used nothing but the foam ones, but this winter I am getting some custom ones made. It DOES make riding so much better.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

okay, now there's no reason not to get a Sena...now I'm excited to try them with my current foam ear plugs before getting custom ones

I was reading online - do you need a direct line of sight for it to work? ie. if I go dirt riding and I lose my buddy in the woods, do we lose comm too until we re-pair them?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-24-13 at 09:08 AM.

1000 yards approx of line of sight. Less without line of sight, but still a good ways away. It will automatically re-pair when it comes back within range.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Hey Breakdirt, clean out your PMs

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    From what I recall, I don't think you guys ever had to wait for me to get my earplugs in while suiting up.

The next natural step is nice custom made ones. Well worth the $$$. I'll be getting a new set (or two) made this winter along with a new helmet.
    Alright, alright. I'll have to pick a set up myself as well now. Fookin' sales pitches, ya'll are full of them 'round here!

Yeah, we probably waited for you once or twice. But not nearly as long as you would have waited for me to get those fucking foamies in, had I used them all the time!

The ease of use is definitely the primary selling point of custom plugs, IMO. Foamies hurt after 3-4 hours too. I bet the customs don't hurt as much.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I was reading online - do you need a direct line of sight for it to work? ie. if I go dirt riding and I lose my buddy in the woods, do we lose comm too until we re-pair them?
    Range is one place where the Scala kicks the Sena's ass. I've gotten ~1/8-1/4 mile range out of the Scala sets. Handy when riding with my cruiser bound buddy and we get to the twisties. Later 'hoss.

Everything else is better with the Senas. They re-pair automagically better than the Scalas when you do get out of range as well. The Scalas sometimes do what you want/expect automagically. But then sometimes they don't and you have to remember the cryptic magic button combination to re-pair.

These intercoms really are pretty awesome. Riding with tunes is awesome. The Sena SMH-5 (the cheaper one) is all you need IMO; intercom and phone/GPS pairing. Tunes from the phone and intercom with your riding buddies. Extra features just make things more complicated. My Scala has an FM receiver for example. I never, ever want to use that feature. Yet sometimes I accidentally activate it and then need to figure out how to de-activate it.

I'm on the hunt for a SMH-5 set to replace my Scala with myself.

Any hard and loud noise can. I doubt riding is any more harmful than going to 40 concerts a year or spending 3+ nights a week at a night club.
    Mind you my opinion is based on no scientific evidence just personal experiences of what I have seen around.
    This is why more and more people are wearing earplugs at concerts. Also why hearing protection is mandatory in shop environments. It's not just hard loud noises, it's sustained noises.

Per osha standards:

Permissible Noise Exposure as a function of duration
    90 dB.........8 hours
    95 dB.........4 hours
    100 dB........2 hours
    105 dB........1 hour
    110 dB........1/2 hour
    115 dB........1/4 hour or less

I don't know if the studies have been repeated any time recently but a quick google resulted in this: http://www.ridermagazine.com/motorcy...rcyclists.htm/ Based on the helmets tested at that time (yes I realize it's out of date) 75-80mph is good for 105db. Osha therefore would require hearing protection for exposure of 1 hour or greater.

The common wisdom is that 70mph for 20 minutes is enough exposure to cause damage.

Facts time over, proceed as usual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast