Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Earplugs

Earplugs

So with my new helmet came a lot of airflow which is great, but with that came more wind noise.

Anything about 30mph-ish, I get enough wind noise where I feel the need to get earplugs.

I just picked up a pair of winchester earplugs at Walmart, but am wondering if there any other "better" disposable earplugs out there?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Earplugs

I picked a box of 100 pairs of "Spark Plugs" foam plugs and couple of years back and I still have about 75 pairs left.

I think they're rated at 32dB noise reduction, which is about as much as you can get in a foam plug.

Box of 100 pairs is $20.99 at Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Moldex Sparkplugs Ear Plugs Uncorded - Model 6604 - Box of 200: Health & Personal Care

Last edited by The Snowman; 08-29-11 at 07:56 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    I picked a box of 100 pairs of "Spark Plugs" foam plugs and couple of years back and I still have about 75 pairs left.

I think they're rated at 32dB noise reduction, which is about as much as you can get in a foam plug.

Box of 100 pairs is $20.99 at Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Moldex Sparkplugs Ear Plugs Uncorded - Model 6604 - Box of 200: Health & Personal Care
    These are the best I've used.

The earplugstore sells an assortment pack that's good for trying out different styles.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

https://www.denniskirk.com/noj/helme...lacement-parts

I have used this on my helmit and earplugs as well.

Eric

I use the E-A-Rsoft 33db reducing ear plugs...a 200 count is usually around $25-30 online

I'm not sure they're much different than the ones posted above, but I would be interested to see if there's something better out there on the market for a similar price

disposable ear plugs are all generally the same as far as material. the db rating is based on the thickness. if you can't get the 33db (which is the highest I've seen anywhere) in your ears properly they won't give you 33db nose reduction so you'd be better off buying 32 or 31s. if you have small ear canals go with the lesser db ratings as they will fit better and cause less ear discomfort. also if you don't get them in right they will be uncomfortable. roll it up nice and thin then pull use your opposite hand to pull your ear back and away from your head and insert the plug and hold you finger on it till it expands. I bought a 100 pack at home depot years ago, probably 1/3 used I think. I use 1 pair for a track day and 1 for a race weekend. if you sweat a lot then they'll get harder to roll properly so throw them away and get a new pair.

I've been told the Howard Leight's are the best but I haven't seen a difference in them vs the cheapy home depot ones I have now.

I had the custom ear plugs made at Moto Market and I really like them. They're good and I do notice when I ride without them.

I use the foam 32db NRR earplugs they sell at Lowes. They are half orange, half purple, and they work extremely well. I only have to buy a box or so per season. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    I had the custom ear plugs made at Moto Market and I really like them. They're good and I do notice when I ride without them.

I had the same custom ones that Noxin had done at Moto Market.
    I use them almost all of the time. Great protection from noise.

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post

I use those too. I always keep a few pairs in my jacket. Makes the highway much more tolerable.

2WT

wait, is it illegal to wear ear plugs while riding? While wearing them do they just cut down on the amount of noise or do they really block out noise? I'm not sure I wouldn't want to hear the car tires screech or a horn or engine noise from cars around me.

Last edited by jcrawford; 08-30-11 at 06:39 AM. Reason: notifications

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    wait, is it illegal to wear ear plugs while riding? While wearing them do they just cut down on the amount of noise or do they really block out noise? I'm not sure I wouldn't want to hear the car tires screech or a horn or engine noise from cars around me.
    You can still hear what you need to.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Its not like you're in a sound proof both.

You can hear what you need to hear. I can everything but its muffled. I can hear the music from my ipod connected through the Chatterbox.

Hearing car tires screech you must be doing something wrong!

So I had my first 30+ min highway ride today with earplugs....all I can say is night and day compared to without.

You can still hear cars and horns, it just cuts out the wind noise and a little of the exhaust.Even after 30 min I noticed getting off my bike I did not feel as fatigued as I might without. I dont think Ill ride without earplugs again.

I still want peoples 2 cents about brand they use. Like I mentioned I just picked up some $2 ones from walmart, wondering if there are any other good ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    Did you see my link Kaz?
    Yeah, I think at least for now, I want to go the disposable route though

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    So I had my first 30+ min highway ride today with earplugs....all I can say is night and day compared to without.

You can still hear cars and horns, it just cuts out the wind noise and a little of the exhaust.Even after 30 min I noticed getting off my bike I did not feel as fatigued as I might without. I dont think Ill ride without earplugs again.

I still want peoples 2 cents about brand they use. Like I mentioned I just picked up some $2 ones from walmart, wondering if there are any other good ones out there.
    Most of the foam ones offer the same protection. I grab a handful from work every 6 months. Sometimes I get the sparkplugs and other times I use the ones that are connected. The only difference between brands I've noticed is that the sparkplugs seems to be easier to roll and shove in my ear. We have Northern Saftey, Moldex etc and I prefer the sparkplugs.

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    Hearing car tires screech you must be doing something wrong!
    Good to know as I have never tried them so I was not sure how much sound was blocked out.

As for doing something wrong all you have to do is drive down 128 and cars will try to take your lane, has happened to me about 8 times in 2 years. Once I was at a dead stop in traffic and hear a screech, i look over my right shoulder to see the car was trying to take my spot in my lane and stopped about a foot short of hitting me. I just shook my head and continued on when traffic started to move again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    Yeah, I think at least for now, I want to go the disposable route though

I used to as well.. Now that I got these molded ones. I love them.
    Little soap and water, they're clean and good to go. Never have to buy anything else.

Thye're aound $70 with tax but you'll have them for years.

Whatever my customers have I grab a few extra. The foam are definitely better than the hard foam with core type, (if you've used them you know what I am talking about).
    I doubt you'll notice much noise difference between the different types of foam plugs. It is more a comfort thing.

High maintenance priss

Moldex 6800 Pura-Fit. 33db NRR; I love these.

I used to use these which are sold at HD/Lowes. I think they are good, but the Moldex are easier to remove b/c they are a bit longer and I can re-use the Moldex longer.

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    Moldex 6800 Pura-Fit. 33db NRR; I love these.
    Just bought those off Amazon...read good reviews on webbikeworld.com

Personally I find I hear traffic a lot better with earplugs in - otherwise the wind noise drowns out nearby car tires. I use these, about $10 for a jar of 50 at any CVS.

I've tried plenty of others too, with varying success. To me the biggest variation is whether or not I can get the helmet on without dislodging the plugs from one or both ears. I cut the tips off the ones I buy to make them fit a little tighter and stick out a little less. (a tip I got from WBW)

NRR 30 is enough for me to not feel the effects after a multi-hour ride - I'm a gigging musician on weekends so I'm very sensitive to and familiar with hearing damage.

2002 SV650N - Daily Commuter
    www.fennario.us - my Grateful Dead tribute band

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

It actually cuts down the "wrong" noise, such as air flowing through the helmet and allows you to hear noise, such as the bike's engine and other surrounding noise better.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Lifer

I use cheap foamies from walmart. The missus has a jar of 100 in the bedside table because she is an ultra light sleeper and I am an ultra loud snorer.

I keep a couple in the breast pocket of my riding jacket. Although I forget to put them in way too many times.

I bet the custom fits are easier to pop in. It sometimes takes me 2-3 tries with the cheap foamies and that can be a PITA when trying to suit up quickly.
    As for doing something wrong all you have to do is drive down 128 and cars will try to take your lane, has happened to me about 8 times in 2 years.
    8 times in 2 years? That's it!?!

But think about how many times the sounds you hear actually help you. 99.9% of the time your head is (or should be) on a swivel and you are ID'ing those threats by sight, not by sound.

I don't feel any more unsafe riding with plugs in than I do without. Ditto for the intercom and music going. YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast