Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Need Opinions & A Question Answered

I found a 1989 Kawasaki Ninja EX 500......the guy wants $1000 for it. It looks nice, runs nice. The only problems are it needs a new chain (maybe sprockets too) and some surface rust on the pipes......what would you pay for it?? And is a ninja EX a good bike? (reliable, etc etc)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~~~~~ ~~~~~
    Shelly Girl

~~~~~ ~~~~~

How many miles on it? The engine should run O.K if it doesn't have a ton of miles......may need a good tune up though, valves adjusted plugs and wires replaced...etc.
    As long as it was properly cared for should be fine.....especially for cheap money.
    You have to expect to replace the basic parts that do wear out.....Chain, Sprockets...etc.
    You may want to look into how the clutch feels......it might need to be replaced soon too.....Under $180 in parts and enough people here to help you with the installation I'm sure.
    I'm sure the suspension isn't too fresh....But rideable all the same as long as the fork seals don't leak or anything.
    How old is the battery too? Another simple thing to replace that does wear out over time, ya know.

The EX 500 is a great choice for a beginner bike getting the sport...especially when you want to do it on a budget.
    There are some EX experts that I'm sure will chime in and give you some specific things to watch out for.

Good Luck!

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

the reliability of the bike will be determined on how it was maintained, the ex500 is a great bike to start on and $1000 is a good price, although i think that with a little searching you might be able to find something newer for the same price, how many miles are on the bike? Has he has it since new or at least a long time to vouch for the maintenance?

One thing to note is that the pre-1994 Ex500s have wheel sizes that don't allow use of modern radial tires.

I think the price is high for this time of year, I think the price would be fair, if it was ready to ride (good chain & sprockets, meat on tires, no stcky cables good brakes and no leaks) and we were at begining of April

yes, when you replace chain, replace sprockets too, or new chain won't last as long

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

$500 would be a good price...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

This time of year, and that age/size of bike, I'd be thinking $500 myself. If it was in great shape (needed no work) maybe more.

StumpyNB
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Like I told Rob, it has replaced bodywork for a reason other than "to make it look good". People don't replace bodywork on a bike from 1989 that isn't in decent shape to begin with. It has been down, or at least assume it has.

Tires, Chain and sprockets will be needed judging from the photos Rob sent me. If it ran mint and everything else was mint on it (couldn't tell, you guys never took a picture of the entire bike, just small areas), I'd say $800.

Also, they appear to be budget Cheng Shin tires. Not good tires.

20,000 miles means it is probably overdue for a valve adjustment. If it isn't, you'll still need to check them to verify anyways. It's probably due for brake pads.

You can find better. I found Adam his 2002 Kawasaki ZR7-S with original everything, jacket, tankbag, still nubs on the tires and a mint Corbin on it for $2150. If you get that bike for $1000 you'll need to sink in a minimum $300 into it, plus labor if you pay someone to do it. Also, for a bike that old, if it hasn't been done yet, everything rubber will need to be done soon. Fork seals, carb gaskets, brake lines, etc.

Just keep your eyes open for something like that but newer. If it looks bad, odds are it's been treated bad.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport