Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Economic cost of motorcycle injuries

Re: Economic cost of motorcycle injuries

You know, they say 60% of the time, it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc R View Post
    Killed on the scene, I would speculate $10-30k.
    $1,212,800 per fatality? Does the study itemize this cost (my BS detector went off ).
    You have to assume that most of those fatalities were not DOAs, but were hospitalized for some time in the ICU before passing away. The cost of an ICU bed, JUST THE BED, per night is $10k. This doesn't include the nursing staff, the doctor's fees, monitors, ventilators, therapists, medications, etc. So that number quoted in the study really isn't that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    This is NOT a problem with letting people make their own choices. Doing so is the only right way to go.
    It is a problem with a decision as a society to pay for the consequences of people's bad choices.
    People should be allowed to ride without helmets if they wish. But they should not have reason to believe that someone else will have to pick up the bill if they need their head reconstructed.

PhilB
    I couldn't agree with you more Phil. I think people should be allowed to ride without helmets if they want to, but that they have to assume full responsibility for this decision and essentially be DNR by doing so. No tax money should go toward helping their medical costs. I also feel the same way about seat belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Track days are great but very intimidating for many riders.

IMHO the Lee Parks Total Control I and II courses are what the MSF BRC and ARC should be, as well as great preparation for your first track day.
    What is this Lee Parks Total Control course? Never heard of it. If it's better than the MSF course and has more advanced courses, I'd like to hear more about it. Could you PM me about it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    What is this Lee Parks Total Control course? Never heard of it. If it's better than the MSF course and has more advanced courses, I'd like to hear more about it. Could you PM me about it?
    http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...ontrol-arc.htm

Or the original one... http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

What is this Lee Parks Total Control course? ?
    http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...ontrol-arc.htm

I haven't taken the class but I met the guy who runs them at last months Tony's Track Days. I plan on signing up the next time the Level I course is offered at NHMS. Heard good things. Mainly low speed control exercises and they then encourage you to hit the track the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Yup. Some stats in MA, for 2010:

51% of accidents that involved a motorcycle fatality involved more than one vehicle. 49% were single vehicle (motorcycle only. Rider at fault).
    Of ALL accidents that involved a motorcycle fatality (multi and single vehicle), the rider was found to be at fault 69% of the time.
    Of all motorcycle accidents involving a motorcycle fatality that occurred in a curve, 76% were single vehicle (motorcycle only. Rider at fault).

I really hope I'm reading this correctly.... it wasn't presented all that clearly. Gotta interpret what's in my had a little.

Side note for the MSF critics out there: at least 70% of riders killed in MA during 2010 had NO formal motorcycle training.
    For me the best part about these stats is that they imply the rider is at fault almost 70% of the time.

Now factor in the reality that there are times where it was technically the other driver's fault but totally avoidable by the motorcyclist. For example, if you run through an intersection with a green light and don't look both ways. If you get hit it's technically the other driver's fault cause you had a green light, but you could have easily avoided it by looking both ways and not just trusting the light. Include examples like this and I would say you could push that percentage of riders at fault up to 85% (just a guess but you get my point).

For me its all about how you ride and the decisions you make. If you get into the right mentality and make the right decisions (like looking both ways even if you have a green light) you signifcantly reduce your chances of getting in an accident.

Riding a motorcycle is all about personal responsibility, but this article brings up a good point. How do we handle the fact that we have to foot the bill for those who do not ride responsibly? I suppose this isn't really anything new though. How much do you think alcohol and drug abuse cost us each year?

I dont think it is the governments responsibility to save us from ourselves

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

I couldn't agree with you more Phil. I think people should be allowed to ride without helmets if they want to, but that they have to assume full responsibility for this decision and essentially be DNR by doing so. No tax money should go toward helping their medical costs. I also feel the same way about seat belts.

Exactly! Just like that city that let the guys house burn down because he hadn't been paying for his fire services. You didn't pay to have us save your house, why the hell should we?

I am insured up the ying yang for medical because I ride the bike, even though I ride in almost full gear. My Collision is low because I am willing to bet its going to be myself getting the best of myself, not me bombing through a crosswalk full of rich trust fund blind children walking their pure breds, after blowing through a redlight causing a pileup.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I never believe the "social costs of your bad decisions studies".
    Let's say for sake of argument that I followed all the silly advice and listened to all the studies and I grew really old.
    Eventually, I'm gonna get cancer or have heart problems, etc. and I'm going to get lots and lots of health care for that.

Lots of studies show that 80-90% of all healthcare money is spent on the last 6 mos of life. Does it really matter when that last 6 months is? Matters a lot to the individual, not so much to society.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Side note for the MSF critics out there: at least 70% of riders killed in MA during 2010 had NO formal motorcycle training.
    This statistic screams potentially misleading since the average person doesn't know what percentage of licensed riders in MA have actually taken the MSF. You wouldn't by chance have those numbers would you?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 06-27-12 at 07:45 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12