Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Electrical Rigging - GPS

In hibernation

Electrical Rigging - GPS

Anyone rig a usb-DC (lighter adapter) GPS cable to their bike fuse box? (specifically GSXR). What did you need? How 'messy' was the install?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Electrical Rigging - GPS

I have a 12v outlet on my bike. I just used a relay from the main power (fused) and switched it off of the first switched circuit I could find. Looks nice because I had room to put it up in the front fairing along with my heated grip switch.

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

In hibernation

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    I have a 12v outlet on my bike. I just used a relay from the main power (fused) and switched it off of the first switched circuit I could find. Looks nice because I had room to put it up in the front fairing along with my heated grip switch.
    Hmmmmm..... might have to bribe you with lots of beer to help hook a shock-prone brother up LOL

I've wired GPS both ways. I installed a cig lighter in the trunk of my old SV (using a relay), but I found using the hard wire kit looked a lot cleaner. If you're ever in the area I could give you a hand. It's really easy. PS I just followed you on Twitter.

Last edited by schleppy; 06-12-09 at 07:17 AM.

In hibernation

Thanks man... might take you up on that, last time i tried playing with power, I accidently kicked on my house's 10,000watt backup generator for 24 hours (that was a high propane bill!)... It's only a matter of time till a lighning bolt sizzles whats left of my brain!

For an IT guy, I'm f'ing USELESS when it comes to juice LOL

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    I've wired GPS both ways. I installed a cig lighter in the trunk of my old SV (using a relay), but I found using the hard wire kit looked a lot cleaner. If you're ever in the area I could give you a hand. It's really easy. PS I just followed you on Twitter.

I never mind helping people out.

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post
    Anyone rig a usb-DC (lighter adapter) GPS cable to their bike fuse box? (specifically GSXR). What did you need? How 'messy' was the install?
    1. USB is +5V so make sure you include the lighter adapter's regulator in your installation.

2. A delicate Mini-USB connection is not going to last very long on a motorcycle.

I'd recommend installing a Powerlet socket (BMW/Triumph/etc style accessory power socket) -- it's much more compact than a cigarette lighter socket, plus it's weatherproof even when you have something plugged into it.

Eastern Beaver makes really kickass wiring kits for installing these things. They come with everything you need. All you have to do is figure out where you want to install the power socket on your bike and drill a hole for it.
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El.../powerlet.html

I've used Eastern Beaver kits to install power sockets on my V-Strom and my Honda XR650L, and also to install heated grips on the XR. Super high quality components -- I can't recommend this stuff strongly enough.

Once you have the Powerlet socket on your bike, you can use a Powerlet MiniUSB power cable for completely weatherproof power for the GPS.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

+1

Jim @ Eastern Beaver makes a good product. I got a wiring harness for my headlights on the bandit because the stock wiring was too small and it has worked perfectly since.

I installed a cig lighter socket ($4.99 auto zone) in the trunk. Fused, tapped it off the fuse block. Works great for the phone charger and the GPS. Though I rarely use the GPS, I find you stumble across amazing roads when you are "lost".