Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone ever use Enterprise Rental Van to transport a bike?

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Anyone ever use Enterprise Rental Van to transport a bike?

Me and a buddy are thinking about going to VA in early 2009 to do some riding when it is still too cold up here but we need to transport the bikes down. I can get a discounted rate through Enterprise and was thinking about getting one of their cargo vans to transport. Has anyone ever used one of these to move a bike?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anyone ever use Enterprise Rental Van to transport a bike?

i haven't but have seen people do it

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

i'd rent a bike trailer it's only $15-20 an day and it's super light can be towed easily with a car ...just need a hitch

...oh and take me with you

i did once. there is no place really secure to strap the bike onto. i ended up bending one of the internal support things that i strapped onto.

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

I know they are cheap to rent but I would prefer something enclosed during transport on the highway and to protect it overnight at a hotel....

Having worked for Enterprise I would definitely advise you to get the damage waiver....esp on the C/V. The metal is so thin you can put a dent in it by just tapping it....imagine what a handlebar would do

On any other rental i'd say screw Damage waiver.......

Quote Originally Posted by daviid View Post
    i did once. there is no place really secure to strap the bike onto. i ended up bending one of the internal support things that i strapped onto.
    Taylor rental has ones with chocks and tiedown points i've used one before and it worked great $15 a day.

I used a Fagataboutit Kriptonite chain to lock it...but my bike also has an alarm w/ pager so i wasn't worried

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    Me and a buddy are thinking about going to VA in early 2009 to do some riding when it is still too cold up here but we need to transport the bikes down. I can get a discounted rate through Enterprise and was thinking about getting one of their cargo vans to transport. Has anyone ever used one of these to move a bike?
    This is ironic...

on another moto board, I saw some pics of a cargo van loaded up with two bikes!

I asked about using cargo vans, since, like you, having an enclosed mode of transport seems safer than leaving the bike out, and a few people chimed in and posted pictures of using cargo van, including rentals.

I'm thinking about buying one to transport bikes vs. a truck or a trailer, but we'll see.

Why not rent one of there Pickups?????? I know that you can DEF fit two bikes in there?????

Pssstttt... look down... click the Boston Moto link... VIR days are already posted. They will even transport your bikes down to VIR for way cheaper than you can rent and fuel a full size van...

I used a VERC rental van before without much problem. I only had one bike back there thou and yes... little lack of tie-down points. All was good thou.

Van def better than truck/trailer for the reasons you listed.

Boston --> San Diego

Rented an Enterprise van to go to deals gap for the first time. No issues getting my Ducati and my dad's Guzzi down there. Not the easiest to tie down with, but it worked.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Done it twice. Once with one bike, once with two. Agreeing with everyone who's mentioned that tie down points are a bitch but it can be done.

can you rent or borrow a minivan?

I was able to fit a sport bike and a dirt bike, so I'm sure you could wedge two motorcycles in there

the seatbelt attachment points are typically strong enough to use as tie-down points

^ me on my way (twice) to a TTD

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-06-08 at 04:50 PM.

I too am trying to figure out the most cost efficient means to go to black bike week

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    can you rent or borrow a minivan?

I was able to fit a sport bike and a dirt bike, so I'm sure you could wedge two motorcycles in there

the seatbelt attachment points are typically strong enough to use as tie-down points

^ me on my way (twice) to a TTD
    Haha, that's crazy. Was it hard to load up?

I'd think something like that, or a cargo van would be tough because there's not space (above) like a(n) open trailer or truck bed. Who knows though, I've never actually had to load into a small enclosed space. I've only loaded bikes on trucks... where you can stand up next to your bike... looks like it'd be tough with a mini-van (but obviously doable, by the pic...)

If you have a car/truck with a hitch, just rent a uhaul trailer for like $15-20 a day.

ZX10R
    Ned

Quote Originally Posted by hqp921 View Post
    Haha, that's crazy. Was it hard to load up?

I'd think something like that, or a cargo van would be tough because there's not space (above) like a(n) open trailer or truck bed. Who knows though, I've never actually had to load into a small enclosed space. I've only loaded bikes on trucks... where you can stand up next to your bike... looks like it'd be tough with a mini-van (but obviously doable, by the pic...)
    it's actually NOT that difficult to load a motorcycle into that minivan because the loading height is much lower than a truck, and even with only 8 foot ramps, the angle to get the bike into the back wasn't very steep, making the fight against gravity minimal

as a matter of fact, I didn't even need a rolling start to get it up; I just straddled the seat and paddle walked my way right in

the height may be an issue for some bikes, but as long as I took off my windscreen, my bike would go in without touching anything and I've heard that some people have even been able to do it with smaller minivans just by compressing the forks when getting the front in, or just ratcheting down the forks with tie-downs

[/end old thread]

This is ironic...

I asked about using cargo vans, since, like you, having an enclosed mode of transport seems safer than leaving the bike out, and a few people chimed in and posted pictures of using cargo van, including rentals.

I'm thinking about buying one to transport bikes vs. a truck or a trailer, but we'll see.

Could you tell us what site that was on? I was also looking into buying a van and would love to see how everyone set the vans up.

"...being right is all that matters. Everything else is crap."

I used a Ford Aerostar (they don't make them anymore) to pick up my Monster back in the day. It fit perfect. Where the seats attached to the floor made for perfect tie down spots.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    it's actually NOT that difficult to load a motorcycle into that minivan because the loading height is much lower than a truck, and even with only 8 foot ramps, the angle to get the bike into the back wasn't very steep, making the fight against gravity minimal

as a matter of fact, I didn't even need a rolling start to get it up; I just straddled the seat and paddle walked my way right in

the height may be an issue for some bikes, but as long as I took off my windscreen, my bike would go in without touching anything and I've heard that some people have even been able to do it with smaller minivans just by compressing the forks when getting the front in, or just ratcheting down the forks with tie-downs

[/end old thread]
    Hmm.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by underhillbu View Post
    Could you tell us what site that was on? I was also looking into buying a van and would love to see how everyone set the vans up.
    It was here There's a couple pics of Cargo vans... I'm trying to remember if I then made a separate thread... If I find something I'll post or send it to you.

The other plus of a van for me is that I could load up my music gear and go to gigs, so it could do double duty as a rider and musician.

Damn, that's a great idea making a board with the chock on it. Why didn't I think of that?

If anyone is going to do this with a UHaul, be careful, the woodstraps just connect to the side of the truck, not to any real support beams and not meant to carry any serious load.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

This is ironic...

You mean someting like this
    http://www.hobbsautomotive.net/catal...l?catId=267492

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I can't imagine taking something like that up to Loudon. The gas mileage on those are abysmal!

However, some do have that nice lift gate on the back

I've used u-haul moving vans & gas aint that bad. Nice ramp & not tall. drill floor eyebolt & washer.
    ps don't fucking tell um

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.