Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

End of an Era -- "Patina", my '93 M900, dead at 265K

Re: End of an Era -- "Patina", my '93 M900, dead at 265K

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    . I have now done that, and am ready for the next phase. I'm really becoming enamored of the idea of going all out and getting a Motus.

PhilB
    The Motus is a step backwards. While it is very fancy on the outside, at it's heart is pretty agrarian.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

There are some really neat motorcycles coming out. I like the idea of Kawasaki's H2 tourer: 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX Sport-Tourer Debuts—Get Ready To Wet Your Gore-Tex | Cycle World

I'm excited for whatever you decide to get! I always enjoyed your motorcycle reviews, so I'm sure whatever you pick will be well thought out!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OneCheekRider; 11-09-17 at 06:32 PM.

Lifer

I'm really becoming enamored of the idea of going all out and getting a Motus.
    I’ve read on the internet that you apparently only live once. Doeit!!!
    Screw what anyone else thinks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The Motus is a step backwards. While it is very fancy on the outside, at it's heart is pretty agrarian.
    I wouldn't say a step "backwards" at all. A step sideways, sure. "Agrarian" may be just another word for getting the basics right. Have you ridden one? It's a heck of a bike to ride. 125 ft-lbs of torque in a mid-weight bike is a lot of fun. I only wish they had stepped it up one more notch and fitted ABS.

After all, my beloved Monster was pretty damn agrarian -- aircooled, 2V, carburetors, all of that. Nothing on that bike that couldn't have been built by Harley in the 1950's. Yet it served me well.

PhilB

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PhilB; 11-09-17 at 07:04 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I haven't, but Ken has a few times. I won't speak for him. His review is out there.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I haven't, but Ken has a few times. I won't speak for him. His review is out there.
    My favorite line in his review: "The bike reminds me of an angry Moto Guzzi."

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

pretty sure I'll never own anything for 24 years. That is amazing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I gotta admit, as another fairly high time rider, this thread puts another dark, distinct check mark in the bad column of my personal street riding risk/reward tally chart, filed under “even doing nothing wrong and (a shit ton of) experience doesn’t make you immune”

Congrats on wanting to hop right back on the horse.

Isn't Motus coming out with a naked bike? Someone over on advrider has documented his build (or teardown I guess) of a Motus into a custom naked that, as I understand it, Motus is interested in turning into a production machine.

And FWIW, if you haven't already you should definitely give the 1290SDR a test ride. The engine is nothing short of phenomenal, the fueling is fantastic, the bike feels like it can be a sedate tourer one minute and a raging monster the next. And maybe give the 1290SDGT a try? It's kinda ugly, but it's got all of the character of the SDR with more comfort and practicality.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Isn't Motus coming out with a naked bike? Someone over on advrider has documented his build (or teardown I guess) of a Motus into a custom naked that, as I understand it, Motus is interested in turning into a production machine.

And FWIW, if you haven't already you should definitely give the 1290SDR a test ride. The engine is nothing short of phenomenal, the fueling is fantastic, the bike feels like it can be a sedate tourer one minute and a raging monster the next. And maybe give the 1290SDGT a try? It's kinda ugly, but it's got all of the character of the SDR with more comfort and practicality.
    There have been a couple of custom naked Motuses so far. If they produce one, that would definitely be my preference.

I have ridden both the 1290SDR and the 1290SDGT, which is why the KTM is included on my shortlist. In a perfect world, I could get the SDR (I like the suspension better) with the SDGT subframe (to carry passenger and bags better), but they are not cross-compatible.

PhilB

Yeah....but the Motus. That would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

That's nuts, I was enjoying your posts of the adventures with that bike that would not die. glad your in one piece!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    That's nuts, I was enjoying your posts of the adventures with that bike that would not die. glad your in one piece!
    Sorry to hear of the demise of Patina. Glad youre ok. I think a Ducati Scrambler is in your future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bye bye patina
    Glad to know you are healing
    'Busa for you, sir

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Sorry about your Ducati and glad your ok.
    Motus is a cool looking bike. Had a display at Barber, Very Automotive in some aspects Alt. looks like one off my 1968 dodge dart..
    Should be a great touring ride thou as one passed me on the way home at 90 plus... Reliability ? not sure you'll get 200000 miles out of one.What could go wrong with a bike built in Alabama? But I am sure people said that about your Duc. Good luck with your search, looking for a new ride is half the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Sorry about your Ducati and glad your ok.
    Motus is a cool looking bike. Had a display at Barber, Very Automotive in some aspects Alt. looks like one off my 1968 dodge dart..
    Should be a great touring ride thou as one passed me on the way home at 90 plus... Reliability ? not sure you'll get 200000 miles out of one.What could go wrong with a bike built in Alabama? But I am sure people said that about your Duc. Good luck with your search, looking for a new ride is half the fun.
    Thanks.

Reliability and durability should, in theory, be very strong suits for the Motus. As you note, it does use a fair bit of automotive tech and parts, including the fact that the engine is closely modeled after half a small-block Chevy, with the help of Pratt & Miller, who are foremost experts in performance small-block Chevies. Most of the rest of it is well-proven bike parts from the leading suppliers. And who else is going to go find out if one will run for 200K? I'm really kind of warming up to this idea.

PhilB

Ugh dude. I haven't signed in in months and just saw this. One piece of advice. I got into an accident about a month and a half ago and thought I was fine. If you notice any change in balance behavior memory vision or mood, go see a neurologist or go to the er. I thought I was fine too but I wasn't, and I'm still healing up from it. Hope you get onto finding a new bike, and I'm really gald to hear you are relatively unscathed.

Take care Phill.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Ugh dude. I haven't signed in in months and just saw this. One piece of advice. I got into an accident about a month and a half ago and thought I was fine. If you notice any change in balance behavior memory vision or mood, go see a neurologist or go to the er. I thought I was fine too but I wasn't, and I'm still healing up from it. Hope you get onto finding a new bike, and I'm really gald to hear you are relatively unscathed.

Take care Phill.
    Thanks. The ER that "checked" me at the time was lax, to the point of negligence IMO, but I just went and had an evaluation by my own doctor, and checked out fine. I have been concerned about the neurology aspect, and keeping an eye on that, since I was unconscious for probably several minutes, but I am not experiencing any of the fairly long list of possible symptoms my doc had on her list to be aware of.

PhilB

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I am not experiencing any of the fairly long list of possible symptoms my doc had on her list to be aware of. PhilB
    That right there is the best news in this thread. +1 for me on the Motus, only b/c I really really want to ride one.....

CCS/LRRS #83

It's settled then.

Congrats on your impending Motus purchase.

You're welcome for finalizing the decision for you

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

It really is the most beastly option available for covering serious miles in style and w/ an appropriate soundtrack.....

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    It really is the most beastly option available for covering serious miles in style and w/ an appropriate soundtrack.....
    Now, if only I can get them to build a naked bike version, and put ABS on it ...

PhilB

Naked version is easy. Just wait for some black ice.

ABS is the hard part.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Yes, that thing is really cool. It's a custom that cost lots of money, even by Motus standards. But yes, that's the idea -- put it, or something like it, in production.

Here's a prototype of another version, from the factory. So, at least they are thinking about the idea.

PhilB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails End of an Era -- "Patina", my '93 M900, dead at 265K-motus-naked-prototype-jpg  

Last edited by PhilB; 11-14-17 at 07:12 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast